Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #1

What is this ???

Hello all. I have a 2011 22RBXL. I just bought a Yamaha EF2400iSHC and was wondering if it will start my 13.5 ac unit. I went on top of the RV and removed the cover. I wanted to know if it is a hard start capacitor or what it is. here's some pics:

Trailer :

What is this ? :

Coachmen Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Mine will start and run the AC if the batteries aren't charging too strong.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Chris, why in the world do you need your AC when there is snow on the ground.

Seriously, my EF2400iS will start the AC, if I have everything else electric turned off except for the converter. As Filthy Beast noted, it may be best to charge your batteries for a short time before attempting the AC startup. I don't know what capacitor I have......it is the 1 that came with the AC unit.

Don't forget to turn the fridge to gas only before starting the AC. Once you plug in your power cord, the fridge will switch to 110 volt if the mode is in automatic....that is an extra draw you don't need.

Also, get the AC fan up and running before starting the compressor. I have taken all of these steps, and have not had a problem with running my AC on the Yami 2400.....even at 3500 ft. elevation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #4

In general, start capacitors are plastic in construction and run capacitors are metal. Based only on the photo it appears to be a run capacitor. You should be able to locate the wiring diagram on the junction box under the grill inside your unit. Good Luck
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

If you search around, you'll find instructions for a modification that isn't a start capaciter, but rather just a delay between the start-up of the compressor and the fan. I did this mod a few years ago, and it delays the fan start about 3 - 4 seconds, which gives the draw from the compressor start time to settle down...

Can't point you too it directly, as I recently "lost" a bunch of bookmarks, but it's either burried in this forum, or on RV.net.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooted View Post
In general, start capacitors are plastic in construction and run capacitors are metal. Based only on the photo it appears to be a run capacitor. You should be able to locate the wiring diagram on the junction box under the grill inside your unit. Good Luck

It is a start cap dual type for compressor and fan motor most caps in the refrigeration industry come both ways the only difference is the Ohms or Micro farads which are low for start and high for run.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
It is a start cap dual type for compressor and fan motor most caps in the refrigeration industry come both ways the only difference is the Ohms or Micro farads which are low for start and high for run.
On closer inspection of the first picture, it appears there may be a third terminal that would indicate this is a dual capacitor. A dual run capacitor, not start. Also, with regards to each other, microfarad values are higher for start capacitors and lower for run capacitors.
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #8

Here's another pic :

Thanks everyone for replying. A neighbor of mine gave me a Supco hard start capacitor. I just wasn't sure if I needed it. Thanks for the advice everyone. Glad to be a part of this great place

Very funny mtnguy
Coachmen Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Sorry got the ufs mixed up

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

There is a a thread, either on this or another RV forum, asking about a 2400 W generator running a 13.5k BTU AC. The guy installed the hard start cap and was able to run the AC. BUT, he also found out that when the outside are temperature got into the mid 90s the generator did't have enough power to get it started.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
There is a a thread, either on this or another RV forum, asking about a 2400 W generator running a 13.5k BTU AC. The guy installed the hard start cap and was able to run the AC. BUT, he also found out that when the outside are temperature got into the mid 90s the generator did't have enough power to get it started.
Hmmm, I wonder why that would be ?? It seems to me that starting the AC at 95° would take no more power than to start it at 80°.

I have run my 13,500 BTU AC with my EF2400is when the outside temperature were in the mid 90s with no problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

Power output will decrease due to increased ambient temperature. Cold dense air = more power. Hot thin air has less oxygen per charge. This is why turbos/superchargers/NOx are used. More air = bigger charge of O2 = more fuel can be burnt = more power.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, wildwood