Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #1

Why is there not a lot of Hybrids on the West Coast?

I have noticed that there are not a lot of Hybrid campers on the west coast, I never really thought much of it. Then, someone mentioned on another thread that there really isn't many out here. I have been shopping for one, so I have also noticed that there is not a lot of stock in hybrid units out here.

I would think that the climate out here would lend itself quite nicely to the hybrid experience.

I cant put my finger on why the hybrid models are not more popular out here.

What am I missing?

scbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Team

I've been wondering about that for years.
California is the perfect place for them, yet they are scarce.
I have a number of theories but none proven.
One definite reason is that dealers refuse to carry them.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

When we were looking at campers, I liked the hybrids.. The salesman told me that in a lot of parks and such in the midwest and west, that they aren't allowed because Bears can get in to them.. Which I suppose would mean then that no one would be allowed to use a tent either which obviously isn't true.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

I have heard the bear thing as well. However, after reading the only place that I can find that actually restricts soft walls is one campground in Yellowstone.

I know in Yosemite there are bears in basically all the campgrounds, and the housekeeping sites are all canvas tent rentals.
scbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

As a friend in New Mexico once said (about our Popup, but it applies to any Hybrid)...

Know what your camper is? why, it's a Bear sized burrito

On a more serious note, we traded our PUP in for a hard sided camper shortly after our daughter fell out through the bunk end and *almost* landed on some sharp objects under the bunkend...this was a momma bear executive decision and I had no say in the matter
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Total BS!😲

Dealers use the Bear Scare tactic to move the customer to a more expensive TT.
They do the same thing to those looking at popups.

We've camped all over the West Coast for 30 years.
NEVER seen any campground with a ban on soft-sided campers.

In fact, in all those years, Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone is the only one I've ever seen with a permanent ban on them.

If they allow tents, they allow hybrids and popups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Traveling from the east coast this summer with our popup, we noticed decidedly more popups the farther west we traveled. In PA there are typically 2 or 3 popups and the same number of hybrids in a campground of 100 sites. At Mt Rushmore, we estimated at least one third of the units were popups. We attributed that to regional preference, but with the preceding discussion I'm not so sure! Thoughts?
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Team

One of the West Coast RV trends is "the bigger, the better".
Dealers out here are filled with huge MHs, 5th wheels and toyhaulers, especially in California.

Smaller RVs like Hybrids, aren't profit makers for the dealers.
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

National Parks and Bear concerns

We live in the Midwest and have a Roo 23SS. We just took a trip out West this past summer and visited Glacier (Fish Creek), Yellowstone (Grant), and Grand Tetons (day trip from Yellowstone), while visiting Custer SD State Park (Sylvan Lake) on the way out, and Rocky Mountain National Park (Morraine) on the way back. In the National Parks, there are different rules regarding trailer contents for the hard sided, and tent / hybrid trailers as it relates to the use of the bear boxes. It was just my wife and I traveling, so to make life easy for all, we chose to stay in the National Parks in "Turtle Mode", with me on the dinette bed, and her on the jack knife bed. I am 6'2", and my wife 5'10" so sleeping on the dinette and jack knife beds is an inconvenience, but we endured. However, we observed many other hybrids with the end beds opened up in the same campgrounds. We just didn't like the potential of having yourself only protected from a hungry bear by canvas in hybrid mode. We didn't see any bear in the campground areas, and that was just fine. In Glacier, the guards do watch it rather closely. We left a 12 pack of unopened pop cans outside of the trailer, (I rationalized that unopened cans have no scent) and we received a citation from the guards, and they put the pop in the community bear box for us. While in Glacier and Yellowstone, it got down to 23 degrees briefly overnight. I don't know whether the single deep cycle battery would have held up overnight with the additional running time of the propane furnace in hybrid mode. We would top off the battery in the early evening during "generator time", and by morning, the battery was getting down to just 1-2 lights remaining on the indicator. The refrigerator was in propane mode, but evening lights, and running the furnace controls and fan, and refrigerator and water heater controls, and water pump usage, combine to eat up the battery, (which was new). We chose the hybrid for the extra interior space compared to the same weight hard sided TT. We also found it hard to find 60 x 80 beds in the smaller TT, that didn't compromise the interior space when not sleeping. But I am rambling! Good luck.
sytsmasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
CJ2

If they wanted to sell more expensive ones, the pickup bed campers would be their best value. They take up little space at the dealer and are way out of line, pricewise.

CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid