Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
The Water Pur filters are pricey - a good carbon filter runs about $10.

How so? Our bowl has been off/on numerous times and we're not detecting any issues that would be prompting us to remove the assy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieh04 View Post
Please forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question, a newbie here. Does the water that comes through the water hose into the trailer go through the filter or is the filter for the water in the holding tank? I personally like the idea of the water filter because of the chemicals and "bugs" that are in our water. What causes the filter to leak water all over the floor? Also we just got our Roo a day ago and we are still exploring. I haven't found the filter yet. Where is it? We have a 23IKSS. Thank you all for your help.

There have been many reports on these forums of the FR1 whole house water filter unscrewing itself or backing off its threads under pressure. As a result It allows running water to continuously run into a trailer or basement depending on location. Appears to be a pretty common occurrence. Many bypass this to prevent water damage and give themselves peace of minds, others change it out after the fact. Many different fixes out there. Doing a forum search will net you lots of threads on the topic. Here is one such thread. Water filter blowout. And another Water filter nightmare

Kellieh- it is possible you don't have one, the water filter is an option on the trailers.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
I"ve read several ways but this has got to be the easiest and cheapest way. A 1/2 inch threaded pvc coupler. That's all u need and it costs less than a $1.

Attachment 65536

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I have been contemplating doing the "water filter delete" but haven't wanted to do a complicated fix. I knew there had to be something easier out there. I am also of the school of thought that these are extraneous as we use our water for washing dishes, bathing and cooking. Bottled water for drinking based on taste. Besides I survived drinking hose water from the green, grey, orange and black hoses growing up. No issues. Thanks for the easy delete suggestion.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #23

The filter I buy from Camping World is about $50 a shot for the replacement filter, so what I do to keep the filtration quality high, and to keep from going through a lot of filters. I only filter my drinking water. Outside the RV I install a Y connector on the water line, one water hose hooking up to the RV, and a second water hose connected up to the CW water filter, I fill gallon jugs of filtered water to put into the RV refrigerator. I prefer drinking cold water, and I didn't see a need to be filtering the shower and toilet water.
I was so impressed with the filter from CW I installed the same filter from CW on the water line to my LG refrigerator at home, it's located behind the refrigerator in the master bedroom closet. Doing away with the low filtration quality little one inside the refrigerator.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I don't know how we survived by drinking out of the old water hose when we were kids.
All those years of tent camping and backpacking we never had a filter. I will say though that the DW makes us take bottled water for "human" consumption though.
Best water I ever drank was from a running stream while backpacking.
I drank from the same water hose and stream and somehow survived, but our environment HAS changed since then, as has our knowledge about the stuff around us.

With respect to water filters on camping trailers, I have to assume the potable water source that I use to fill the tank really is potable, and I take reasonable precautions to keep the tank clean. The filter is window-dressing. Maybe it makes the water taste better, maybe not.

I've read horror stories about the filter bowls somehow working themselves off the water filter. (I have no idea why but don't assume user failure.) Being housed behind a cabinet that's screwed shut, it's hard to stop the flood quickly. And even that assumes you're there, and aware of it.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Attachment 65553

$14.41 at Walmart

I use these too and if you buy a 4 pack at Amazon they are like $10.00 each

Old 12-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #26
edt

Removing Filter there is a flared union available at RV dealer that eliminated need for tape
If you remove filter and pump connections and fresh water connections you can unscrew filter and place union to connect the 2 threaded pipes. This is a lot of trouble but if your filter is located where mine is it is worth it.
Shop Whirlpool Opaque Whole-House Pre-Filtration Housing at Lowes.com
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #27

Remove the on board water filter and replace it with a Shurflo accumulator tank. Two birds with one stone.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Remove the on board water filter and replace it with a Shurflo accumulator tank. Two birds with one stone.
Great idea! Does the accumulator fit in the space where the filter was originally located?
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
I"ve read several ways but this has got to be the easiest and cheapest way. A 1/2 inch threaded pvc coupler. That's all u need and it costs less than a $1.

Attachment 65536

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I want to bypass mine. I have read too many horror stories to chance it. My question, will the pex fittings turn inside the pex? I am assuming they will, otherwise you would have to cut them to remove from the filter housing.
howie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #30
edt

Real easy remove water connecton forma trailer ,disconnect water pump
Remove water filter unscrew all fittings
Don't turn Pixar fittings in pipe if you are careful Evelyn thing will screw back together
Only part you will nerd is a unión to put The 2 males plus back together There is a coppling i got at RV store with a flair uter wise use regular O'Neal with teflon tape
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
Real easy remove water connecton forma trailer ,disconnect water pump
Remove water filter unscrew all fittings
Don't turn Pixar fittings in pipe if you are careful Evelyn thing will screw back together
Only part you will nerd is a unión to put The 2 males plus back together There is a coppling i got at RV store with a flair uter wise use regular O'Neal with teflon tape
All the fittings are compression pex fittings. There is no way to disconnect anything without cutting the compression band, or if the fittings will turn in the pex.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
All the fittings are compression pex fittings. There is no way to disconnect anything without cutting the compression band, or if the fittings will turn in the pex.

Mine was like that...I had to cut the pipe on both sides then replace that section with pipe and compression brackets but one side now has a slow drip so replacing those with Shark Bite fittings when I get time.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431656868.573591.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	76995

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #33

I'm a licensed master plumber in New Jersey. I'm also a 1st time TT owner. Now I under stand people don't like the water filter that had been installed in the Roo. Maybe feel it's uunnecessary. And with no real camping experience with an inline water filter. But if the filter that rockwood installed in the trailer does not leak, why remove it? Just leave the container empty and use a filter on you fresh water hose. It is easy enough to empty and winterize. Shark bite fittings are great answer for any plumbing issues. But If it's not leaking, then Leave it! The pex connectors are better than the shark bite fittings! I have just in the last few weeks pulled off all the closed cabinets and found the water filter with the water heater. I will let it be and use the hose filter that was shown earlier in the post. I love the idea of moss but if it's unnecessary I would say let it be.
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:05 AM   #34

WOW - Easy way to remove water filter

1st timer I don't think the issue is leaking. People are doing this because there are reports of the filter literally unscrewing itself and causing a flood.

If there is a way to ensure that won't happen I will leave mine alone, but I haven't heard of a fix.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #35

1st timer...roo hit the nail in the head. I have read about the filter canister coming off. I want to just bypass it to remove the potential for it happening. As a licensed plumber can you tell me if the plastic fitting will turn inside the pipe to allow me to unscrew it or will I need to cut it out?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Why can't you just semi-permanently install the wrench on the canister to keep it from loosening? Drill a hole in the flanges outside where water is and drop in a pin?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
1st timer...roo hit the nail in the head. I have read about the filter canister coming off. I want to just bypass it to remove the potential for it happening. As a licensed plumber can you tell me if the plastic fitting will turn inside the pipe to allow me to unscrew it or will I need to cut it out?
I believe those issues are with the filter canister that uses the KW1 filter (very expensive). The canister that accepts a standard 10 inch (C-10 type) have not had any reported issues, I think. If these units don't use the KW1 filter I don't believe you will have any issues except when replacing the filter element (water spillage). My unit has the C-10 type filter canister but it is located in an outside bin adjacent to all plumbing interconnects and drains. Just an input that may not be of applicable.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe those issues are with the filter canister that uses the KW1 filter (very expensive). The canister that accepts a standard 10 inch (C-10 type) have not had any reported issues, I think. If these units don't use the KW1 filter I don't believe you will have any issues except when replacing the filter element (water spillage). My unit has the C-10 type filter canister but it is located in an outside bin adjacent to all plumbing interconnects and drains. Just an input that may not be of applicable.
Thanks for the information. I just checked and as luck would have it, ours is the KW1. If it stops raining, I am going to bypass it this evening and find out if I have to cut the clamps.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #39

Yes the fittings will turn in the pex piping and not leak; also 1 wrap of a good duct tape at the junction of the lower and upper filter housing will insure that it doesn't unscrew by itself
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #40

I bypassed the filter. For what it worth, the fittings did indeed turn inside the pex pipe and I was able to just unscrew them from the filter. I then put a 1/2" threaded union on to complete the bypass. All looked well at first. After a few minutes there was a small, slow leak at the pex clamp fitting. Maybe it was a leak before, but I am guessing it had to do with me twisting/turning the fitting to disconnect form the filter.
Went to Lowes, got sharkbite 1/2" coupling, cut the pex, installed the coupling. All seems well now. Here is a pic. I had not installed the filter canister again when I snapped the pic.

Tags
water, water filter