Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #1

DD Form 2220 (Vehicle Registration)

As most of you may know, the Air Force has discontinued the requirement of the DD Form 2220 (Vehicle Registration Sticker) for our vehicles. I am retired Air Force, and travel to other military installations (Army, Navy, etc.) which still require the stickers. I am planning a trip in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has experienced difficulty getting on installations without the sticker. I am going to try to get the sticker from the base I visit, but not sure if that is going to be allowed. I have several toads, and, naturally the MH itself. Any feedback or experiences you may have had with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Barry
MSgt-USAF/Ret.

2004 342 XLS Georgetown
2004 Suzuki Intruder
2009 Pontiac G6 GT
bear52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Smile

They stopped using the decals here at Offutt also. Gate guards do a 100% ID check at the gate which is hell at shift change but otherwise not a large hassle. I'm lucky I guess as the FamCamp is off base so I don't have to try hauling the house through that process so far but that could change next year since I'm on the on base storage lot list waiting list.
2008 Rockwood 8287SS
2009 F-150

Don't follow me can't you see I'm blind
scruffybuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

wow i didn't know they stopped issuing decals, we were going to stop at barksdale on the way home and get one for the bus...

thanks for the news
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

To get access you will have to have your ID card updated which has the bar code on the rear. This will directly link you to a picture of you which will be viewable via portable hand held scanners at the entry gates. It works well her ein Luke AFB AZ. The only bad thing is that when your card is scanned it is entered into a computer database which tell them where you are and which bases you use.

Does any of the other branches use this or do they still just check ID card and or stickers?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

I know that Jasksonville AFB, still requires you to have a sticker on the TV, I had to wait inline for 2hrs. to get one and register my TV. They say they are going away with them but still some base's make you have it, I was just their in Dec. 2011
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
H2oski

Here at Ft Rucker you are not required to have a post sticker, but if you don't have a valid military ID card you will have to go through the visitors center. If you have a large vehicle (RV/camper) you have to go through the visitor center to have it inspected.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #7

I drive onto Moody AFB everyday since that's where I work. It's true that if you don't have an ID Card you have to get a pass. Even as a retired AF member I can't bring anyone on without an ID without getting a pass. Now as far as them inspecting my TT, I've brought it on-base several times to weigh it and never had to have it inspected, thankfully. I guess different bases apply the inspection rule differently.

gljurczyk, where is Jasksonville AFB base? Never heard of that one.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
where is Jacksonville AFB base? Never heard of that one.
Two FAMCAMP bases in Jacksonville; Both Navy.

Mayport has Pelican Roost right on the breakwater (awesome, but small) and Jacks NAS has the Jacksonville RV Park.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

Lists 18 FAMCAMPS in Florida.
PLEASE support this site by buying their software.
I use it all the time. Since the approaches to the base are sometimes complicated due to security concerns; having the latest directions to truck gates; on-base driving updates to the FAMCAMPs; reservation procedures; etc is far and away worth the annual membership fee.

Yes, I know the site itself is free and we should make sure it stays that way by supporting the effort by buying the software. Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

Just heard that the Army is no longer requiring a vehicle registration sticker. As we know the Air Force discontinued the sticker a few years ago. So...has anyone been to a NAS recently and know if they still require the sticker?

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

No stickers required for Ft Leonard Wood..... Please watch gate heights!!! Photo ID & Insurance card is all that is required to gain access!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Found that out from Ft Leonard Wood. We have a new truck and are headed to Jacksonville NAS next month, so we thought we might get the sticker from them (we normally head to Scott AFB) and they told us that they were no longer needed. Just wondering if the Navy is onboard yet...pun intended!

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
H2oski

I was told that it's up to the base commander. Here at Ft Rucker you don't need a sticker to get on main post. However you do need a sticker to get onto the airfields. (Controlled airfields). You will need a sticker to get onto Coastal Systems Navy base in Panama City, fl.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I was told that it's up to the base commander. Here at Ft Rucker you don't need a sticker to get on main post. However you do need a sticker to get onto the airfields. (Controlled airfields). You will need a sticker to get onto Coastal Systems Navy base in Panama City, fl.
Thanks for the help. Happy New Year.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #14

We frequent Mayport Navy Base often and have chosen to get a sticker, just makes life much easier going in and out of base. While in Jacksonville, if you like fish, shrimp, oysters, etc...might I suggest Singletons? It was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives .... and its a DIVE! But we never miss it when we go up there!
We live not too far from Patrick AFB, and have heard rumors that USAF is bringing back the stickers...you know the rumor mill....
Enjoy Jacksonville...go over to Mayport if you haven't been...great RV park (Pelican Roost I think) on the water where the ships come and go.
Enjoy your trip.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #15

I found that every base is different, it is really up to the Commander. It is just easier to get your DOD sticker then that concern is over. They were to stop that regulation but so far like the military, it's up to the installation on it's rules and regs....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
We frequent Mayport Navy Base often and have chosen to get a sticker, just makes life much easier going in and out of base. While in Jacksonville, if you like fish, shrimp, oysters, etc...might I suggest Singletons? It was on Diners Drive Ins and Dives .... and its a DIVE! But we never miss it when we go up there!
We live not too far from Patrick AFB, and have heard rumors that USAF is bringing back the stickers...you know the rumor mill....
Enjoy Jacksonville...go over to Mayport if you haven't been...great RV park (Pelican Roost I think) on the water where the ships come and go.
Enjoy your trip.
Andi
Thanks for the info. We stayed last year at the VOQ at Jacksonville and checked out the RV facilities at both Mayport and Jacksonville. Mayport is indeed beautiful. Thanks also for the "Dive" suggestion. We'll have to check it out while we are in the area.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I found that every base is different, it is really up to the Commander. It is just easier to get your DOD sticker then that concern is over. They were to stop that regulation but so far like the military, it's up to the installation on it's rules and regs....
We plan on getting a DOD sticker at the first facility we visit that still issues them. Unfortunately, no one near STL issues them.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #18

Oh just remembered....Metro Diner in Jax Bch for breakfast....oh yea...go hungry!! Don't miss this one either...
Enjoy
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Oh just remembered....Metro Diner in Jax Bch for breakfast....oh yea...go hungry!! Don't miss this one either...
Enjoy
Andi
We'll put this on the list too. We'll give you an update after the visit.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Berkshire 390QS

Was a Mayport NAS and went to the pass and id section and got one for HM and toad, took all the required paperwork for both and 30 minutes and was out the door. Very easy. Retired AF and not from there either.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote