Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaE View Post
At Robins AFB (middle Georgia) they issue "Disabled American Veterans" ID cards for access on base. I don't know anything about what access/services it will allow (I am 100% service connected and combat related disabled but also retired... so I use my retired ID) but you could inquire of bases you plan to visit. FYI... the Robins AFB site to schedule shows what you need to get the ID. See: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd...BuildingId=534 ... near the bottom of the page is the ID description. These ID issue requirements should be the same at other bases; however, access it provides could differ. Also, the link I provided was for Robins AFB, but you can probably work thru the site and get to whatever base/post is near you.

Thank you for your service.
I'm a 100% disable also, why wouldn't my DOD card get me access to the base as any other base? I have never been refused access. I even have a DOD sticker on my truck window. What is the change. I can not access your link.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I'm a 100% disable also, why wouldn't my DOD card get me access to the base as any other base? I have never been refused access. I even have a DOD sticker on my truck window. What is the change. I can not access your link.
gljurczyk: I wasn't clear with the use of "access" to refer to 2 different things... sorry. Access to get on the base is OK with DOD card; however, what I do not know is what access to facilities and/or services on the base it will provide... and this access to facilities/services on the base... may vary by base.

Additionally, the stickers on windows will not work at some bases. They stopped issuing them some time ago here at Robins AFB... and do a 100% ID check. About half the time they scan the ID for registration in their system.

No idea on the link not working for you. I went back and tried and the link works for me (from my post). You may be able to either cut and past the link to your browser or type the link in your browser.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #23
B47

Remember that while the military preaches Uniformity in almost all of their regulations and directives, access to their camp grounds is ultimately directed and controlled by the respective Base Commander. What and who is authorized access to one Army/U.S.A.F./Navy/Marine campground may not be authorized at another one.

That why the signs at the bases have the caveat "As Directed By The Base Commander" on them.

Always check first before assuming you will be given access.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #24

Veterans

If you are 100% disabled you can use Framcamps (military campgrounds ) But if you are a Retired Military yes. (20 or more years) I'am ret. and 100% disable. DOD, Active Reserve , National Guard, Dependent.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #25

Hate to disagree, but I received a medical retirement in 1970. My retirement orders state I was released from active duty because I was physically unfit for duty and placed on the retired list. I was issued a Retired ID card with an indefinite expiration date. My second child was born at Fairchild AFB hospital after my retirement and my family and I have had full use of the commissary and exchange facilities at every military facility in the state of Washington for over 40 years.

Unfortunately, I may be a statistical rarity. I remember being told when I asked about compensation for my wounds "to go to the VA". Instead I demanded a medical board after getting some advice from my Dad, who himself was retired. The army retired me at 60% disabled. The VA called me 70% so I opted for the VA payment. After the law changed several years ago I was able to apply for CRSC and now am able to draw my retired pay (a negligible amount as I was only in for 3 years) as well as my VA.

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that you must serve 20 years to be retired. I ran into the same mindset when I purchased our toad last year. The salesman insisted that I be retired for longevity before they gave me an additional $500 off. I was able to find Chryslers guideline for the $500 discount on the internet. All it said was retired. After showing them my ID card and retirement orders I received the discount.

I've posted this response to let those in my situation know that if they were retired for a physical disability and possess a blue ID card that says you are retired with an indefinite expiration date you are in fact as "retired" as those that served 20 years and entitled to the same benefits and privileges.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led