Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Disabled veterans

Can disabled veterans use military campgrounds?? I know active duty military, DOD, and retired Military can, but I could not find any info on disabled vets..

Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

it depends on the base, and the degree of disability. We have stayed at Fort Knox in Tn. DH is 100% disabled.

2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
it depends on the base, and the degree of disability. We have stayed at Fort Knox in Tn. DH is 100% disabled.
oh ok, so it depends on the base, I thought there was one standard for all the bases..so I guess just call to find out each campgrounds policy..
Old 05-29-2014, 04:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
oh ok, so it depends on the base, I thought there was one standard for all the bases..so I guess just call to find out each campgrounds policy..
No That is wrong, only 100% disabled Veterans or if your military retired, can use FamCamps on base's. You would need a DOD Card. You can only get that if your combined rating from the VA is 100%. A Veteran with a DOD card can get you on as a guest only, and not all base's will do that. It's up to the Base Commander. I stay at bases all the time and they will ask you if you have a DOD Card and what your rank was. Check the web site Military Camp Grounds....Thanks for your service by the way. So let say if you have a 40% disability rating from the VA, you would not be eligible for a DOD CARD.You have to be rated at 100%....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No That is wrong, only 100% disabled Veterans or if your military retired, can use FamCamps on base's. You would need a DOD Card. You can only get that if your combined rating from the VA is 100%. A Veteran with a DOD card can get you on as a guest only, and not all base's will do that. It's up to the Base Commander. I stay at bases all the time and they will ask you if you have a DOD Card and what your rank was. Check the web site Military Camp Grounds....Thanks for your service by the way. So let say if you have a 40% disability rating from the VA, you would not be eligible for a DOD CARD.You have to be rated at 100%....
Ok, so I guess I better enjoy the Famcamps now as a DOD employee because once I retire I can no longer gain access..
Old 05-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
Ok, so I guess I better enjoy the Famcamps now as a DOD employee because once I retire I can no longer gain access..
Not unless you get a DOD card when you retire, this my understanding
1) active duty or TDY
2) DOD employee
3) retirer Military and 100% disabled Veteran

That is the pecking order that they use to fill the camp grounds. At least that is my understanding. If your on base working stop by and ask the MWR Office. They change things daily, it's the Military......
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 05-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

I was medically retired in 1970 with a blue ID card stamped indefinite. I am able to access the px and commissaries of any military base I choose. I receive both disability compensation and retired pay and used Tricare prime until I reached age 65. I assume I'm eligible for campgrounds despite the fact my disability rating from the VA is only 80%. If that's the case it might be helpful to acknowledge that medically retired vets are campground eligible and that one need not have retired for longevity (20 years).
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
I was medically retired in 1970 with a blue ID card stamped indefinite. I am able to access the px and commissaries of any military base I choose. I receive both disability compensation and retired pay and used Tricare prime until I reached age 65. I assume I'm eligible for campgrounds despite the fact my disability rating from the VA is only 80%. If that's the case it might be helpful to acknowledge that medically retired vets are campground eligible and that one need not have retired for longevity (20 years).
If you are able to access Commissaries and the PX with your card then you probably could. I have never heard of Medically retired before. The pecking order I gave is what is posted in the MWR office. I guess you fall under retired or you couldn't be accessing the Bases. Each Base is different depending on the Base Commander. I'm a 100% disabled Vet. I had to take my award letter in to get my DOD card. I have just also read on Military Camp Grounds news letter that some bases are opening up the CG to everyone. I know that I'm allowed to bring a guest along to Camp as long as they go through the gate with me. When I was at 80% I couldn't get my DOD card. Or stay at CG'S on the base. You probably fall under retired Military....Thanks for your service...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 05-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
Fort Knox used to be in KY, Did the Army Move it? Youroo!!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Fort Knox used to be in KY, Did the Army Move it? Youroo!!
You must be off the sauce today that you caught that....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k

Tags
led