Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Disabled veterans

Can disabled veterans use military campgrounds?? I know active duty military, DOD, and retired Military can, but I could not find any info on disabled vets..
Scrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #2

it depends on the base, and the degree of disability. We have stayed at Fort Knox in Tn. DH is 100% disabled.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
it depends on the base, and the degree of disability. We have stayed at Fort Knox in Tn. DH is 100% disabled.
oh ok, so it depends on the base, I thought there was one standard for all the bases..so I guess just call to find out each campgrounds policy..
Old 05-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
oh ok, so it depends on the base, I thought there was one standard for all the bases..so I guess just call to find out each campgrounds policy..
No That is wrong, only 100% disabled Veterans or if your military retired, can use FamCamps on base's. You would need a DOD Card. You can only get that if your combined rating from the VA is 100%. A Veteran with a DOD card can get you on as a guest only, and not all base's will do that. It's up to the Base Commander. I stay at bases all the time and they will ask you if you have a DOD Card and what your rank was. Check the web site Military Camp Grounds....Thanks for your service by the way. So let say if you have a 40% disability rating from the VA, you would not be eligible for a DOD CARD.You have to be rated at 100%....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No That is wrong, only 100% disabled Veterans or if your military retired, can use FamCamps on base's. You would need a DOD Card. You can only get that if your combined rating from the VA is 100%. A Veteran with a DOD card can get you on as a guest only, and not all base's will do that. It's up to the Base Commander. I stay at bases all the time and they will ask you if you have a DOD Card and what your rank was. Check the web site Military Camp Grounds....Thanks for your service by the way. So let say if you have a 40% disability rating from the VA, you would not be eligible for a DOD CARD.You have to be rated at 100%....
Ok, so I guess I better enjoy the Famcamps now as a DOD employee because once I retire I can no longer gain access..
Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
Ok, so I guess I better enjoy the Famcamps now as a DOD employee because once I retire I can no longer gain access..
Not unless you get a DOD card when you retire, this my understanding
1) active duty or TDY
2) DOD employee
3) retirer Military and 100% disabled Veteran

That is the pecking order that they use to fill the camp grounds. At least that is my understanding. If your on base working stop by and ask the MWR Office. They change things daily, it's the Military......

Old 05-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

I was medically retired in 1970 with a blue ID card stamped indefinite. I am able to access the px and commissaries of any military base I choose. I receive both disability compensation and retired pay and used Tricare prime until I reached age 65. I assume I'm eligible for campgrounds despite the fact my disability rating from the VA is only 80%. If that's the case it might be helpful to acknowledge that medically retired vets are campground eligible and that one need not have retired for longevity (20 years).
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
I was medically retired in 1970 with a blue ID card stamped indefinite. I am able to access the px and commissaries of any military base I choose. I receive both disability compensation and retired pay and used Tricare prime until I reached age 65. I assume I'm eligible for campgrounds despite the fact my disability rating from the VA is only 80%. If that's the case it might be helpful to acknowledge that medically retired vets are campground eligible and that one need not have retired for longevity (20 years).
If you are able to access Commissaries and the PX with your card then you probably could. I have never heard of Medically retired before. The pecking order I gave is what is posted in the MWR office. I guess you fall under retired or you couldn't be accessing the Bases. Each Base is different depending on the Base Commander. I'm a 100% disabled Vet. I had to take my award letter in to get my DOD card. I have just also read on Military Camp Grounds news letter that some bases are opening up the CG to everyone. I know that I'm allowed to bring a guest along to Camp as long as they go through the gate with me. When I was at 80% I couldn't get my DOD card. Or stay at CG'S on the base. You probably fall under retired Military....Thanks for your service...

Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Fort Knox used to be in KY, Did the Army Move it? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Fort Knox used to be in KY, Did the Army Move it? Youroo!!
You must be off the sauce today that you caught that....

Old 05-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #11

This is the site that I use when travel and use Military Famcamps.
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
They will tell you who can camp at their bases. Each base has different rules, I have seen only active military, DoD, active civilian personal and those in transit at some bases.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Also keep an eye on the current DEFCON (FPCON) levels. We just went to Bravo and, yesterday, it took me 30-minutes waiting in line to get on base at the AF Academy to park Rocky in the lot. (No guests allowed...only those with DoD CAC badges or military retired cards.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
This is the site that I use when travel and use Military Famcamps.
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
They will tell you who can camp at their bases. Each base has different rules, I have seen only active military, DoD, active civilian personal and those in transit at some bases.
I also use that web site, but I have never been refused unless full in the pecking order I listed. But I also have a DOD Card, plus my wife. Also my decal for the wind shield. They were supposed to get rid of them (Wind Shield), but now that has been left to the Base Commander so some you still need them others you don't. So it's best to get one they last 5 years....

Old 05-10-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I have nothing to add but wanted to thank everyone for their service and sacrifices.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #15

I'm a 100% disabled Vet and have a DoD card to that effect. Had it for 15 years. Use it at all military CGs and Famcamps and haven't been turned down yet. Big discounts also. I use it at commissaries and PXs at all bases that I visit, to stock up on food and clothes.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I have nothing to add but wanted to thank everyone for their service and sacrifices.
Thank You for that. People thank me all the time It shocks me being from the Viet Nam time in the 60's. Sometimes I just don't what to say, what a difference time makes.....

Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank You for that. People thank me all the time It shocks me being from the Viet Nam time in the 60's. Sometimes I just don't what to say, what a difference time makes.....
It's always been interesting to me that the hippies and college kids from the 60's and 70's were more immature than us kids in the military in many ways (not to mention "no discipline"). It's their improved maturity due to the passage of time, plus 2 more wars, that's opened their eyes to understanding that it's not us soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and coastguardsmen that are the problem - it's the politicians.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I grew up an Army brat and as such was taught about respect, honor, pride and patriotism. I remember pausing for taps every night at five followed by a cannon going off. I unfortunately was unable to serve but not for lack of trying (back injury). I think that social media has played a big role in educating the public to the needs of soldiers and their families. I hope it continues to do so. I now return you to your regularly scheduled disabled vet/military campground thread.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #19

Someone asked me years ago why I still salute RETIRED officers that I served with in Vietnam, most of them retired Generals. My answer is "out of respect". I know how they got to be retired officers. The same reason I refer to others as Maam and Sir. Respect.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #20

Getting a "Disabled American Veterans" ID card

At Robins AFB (middle Georgia) they issue "Disabled American Veterans" ID cards for access on base. I don't know anything about what access/services it will allow (I am 100% service connected and combat related disabled but also retired... so I use my retired ID) but you could inquire of bases you plan to visit. FYI... the Robins AFB site to schedule shows what you need to get the ID. See: https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd...BuildingId=534 ... near the bottom of the page is the ID description. These ID issue requirements should be the same at other bases; however, access it provides could differ. Also, the link I provided was for Robins AFB, but you can probably work thru the site and get to whatever base/post is near you.

Thank you for your service.
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led