Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #81

There was a time when both Lowes and Home Depot gave this discount only to disabled veterans, then later changed their policy to include all veteran. Certainly it is nice of them to show this respect toward those who served. Home Depot stopped giving that discount on sales items and certain product, such as plumbing, and never offered it for online purchases. Lowes implemented of policy requiring veterans to verify their military service and register online. Lowes generally offers their discount to all purchases, including online purchases and delivery. Certainly neither business needs to offer any discount, it is simply their way to show respect and attempt to attract veteran business; Lowes seems to being trying much harder, Home Depot may eventually follow suite.
I completed the Lowes online registration and I've never been added to any extra email, address, or telephone abuse; to the best of my experience none of this information is sold off. I wish I could say the same for my VA health care. Very many businesses offer discounts to veterans, and even more offer discounts to service-connected disabled veterans ... but you often times need to ask.
I prefer shopping at Lowes because they try harder to attract my business, and because their discount policy is important to me. Many businesses truly do respect our service and sacrifice; I've even, occasionally, been offered certain RV discounts when some folks (usually another vet) see my state-issue vehicle license plate (validated). I am not ashamed of these discounts, and really respect those people and businesses who recognize those who served, those who put their life on the line, and for too many – who left a piece behind.
Every veteran should appreciate those folks and businesses who make that extra effort to show respect; they obviously want your business and make an extra effort to gain it. Every disabled vets, especially service-connected & 100% rated, should always inquire about possible discounts. There are very many people and businesses who really appreciate an opportunity to salute. You may also qualify for a Federal “Access Pass” giving you free entrance to all National Parks, Monument and other facilities, as well as campsite discounts. Also most states offer free camping passes, which often includes full hook-up.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #82

At Lowe's you simply register online, and when you check out you enter your phone number. Some sale items will always be exempt from the discount. Live with it.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #83

What's the criteria for getting a VA card? What is it proving/validating? I'm guessing it's for those who have served but didn't retire from the service, is that right?
Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by davellie View Post
What's the criteria for getting a VA card? What is it proving/validating? I'm guessing it's for those who have served but didn't retire from the service, is that right?
Try www.ebenefit.va.gov. I think that will get you what you're looking for
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #85

Quote:
Lowes offer discounts to active duty folks:
https://newsroom.lowes.com/serving-c...itary-support/
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #86

Quote:

If you mean the new veterans card that congress authorized a year or two ago for all veterans, I posted a link a few posts up. It's for all honorably discharged veterans and serves just as proof of service. It was intended to be used so that vets don't have to carry around a DD-214 to show at places that offer discounts, etc.

I don't mind showing the pending one they emailed me before mailing my permanent one since it doesn't include any private info, so here is what it looks like. By the way, they sent me two of them.

Ray
Attached Images

US Navy Veteran
Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #87

Or use MyLowes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackysc View Post
At Lowe's you simply register online, and when you check out you enter your phone number. Some sale items will always be exempt from the discount. Live with it.
When you register, you can tie your veteran status to your MyLowes number. Scanning your key tag or strip at checkout automatically gets the discount--never a case where you forget to ask for it.

And the MyLowes program works great! Buy something you didn't need? Or that didn't work? No need to dig for a receipt--just bring the MyLowes tag and they can process the return in seconds.

Or need to buy more of something you bought before, but can't remember exactly what it was? Like matching a paint color? MyLowes has your lifetime purchase history.

Besides the key tag and wallet card, they provide a thin adhesive barcode strip you can stick onto your credit card. Take the card out to pay and they scan the strip for you. I placed mine on my Lowes consumer credit card, so I get a 5% discount on anything that's not eligible for the 10% discount.

Larry
Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #88
US MARINE

Hardware Store Discounts

In reply to Hardware Store Discounts.........Lowe’s is easy. I did the required paperwork online while sitting in their parking lot. They put you in their system and you don’t even have to show an ID when you check out.....just remember what phone number you gave them (real or not). Home Depot is a different story. I bought $1200 worth of supplies to build a fence and my 10% military discount came up to just over $30. I asked why and they had to call a manager who explained we don’t get a discount on all items. Most of those items we don’t get it on are “Building Supplies”. I asked for a list of the specific items we don’t get a discount on and she said they put that in the computer and they don’t have any idea what those items are. So much for supporting the military. Seems more like Home Depot is SCAMMING the military.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
In reply to Hardware Store Discounts.........Lowe’s is easy. I did the required paperwork online while sitting in their parking lot. They put you in their system and you don’t even have to show an ID when you check out.....just remember what phone number you gave them (real or not). Home Depot is a different story. I bought $1200 worth of supplies to build a fence and my 10% military discount came up to just over $30. I asked why and they had to call a manager who explained we don’t get a discount on all items. Most of those items we don’t get it on are “Building Supplies”. I asked for a list of the specific items we don’t get a discount on and she said they put that in the computer and they don’t have any idea what those items are. So much for supporting the military. Seems more like Home Depot is SCAMMING the military.
So I guess if you go to Walmart and don't get any discount at all, you're REALLY being scammed.

I guess we really have become an entitlement society.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 06-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #90

Smile

I completed the MyLowes card online....put in the military info and now all I do is scan that card and get automatic military discount. And with that I don't have to save receipts.....it's on the card.

Love it ….works great for me.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #91
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
FYI
Home Depot NOT giving Military 10% off on All Purchase.
I was just at Home Depot and purchased some plastic storage containers that wer eon sale for $9.97 and a few other items.
Got to the front and the toatal was about $75 but only saw a $1 discount for military....
I asked if this was a mistake. She said no. Anything on sale you do not get the 10% off now.
This is the first time I saw this. Anyone else want totest your Home Depot Store and buy an item on sale to sdee what happens?
I do not believe Lowes does this.
Maybe its time to go back and use Lowes.
Understand the reason for being disturbed about not getting the discount, but it doesn't amount to that much money regardless.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Understand the reason for being disturbed about not getting the discount, but it doesn't amount to that much money regardless.
That was my thought when I first started reading this thread.

"Discount? I don't need no stinkin' discount!"

But maybe some folks do?? But if they can afford an RV, I doubt it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #93

You need that discount to rebuild your RV
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #94

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Military Discounts

Military discounts at Lowes is easy for active duty, retirees is easy to sign up for, simply easy to provide your Phone number at check out. When I signed up
I was told there was a way Lowes had to check your military service.

I was told no discounts on plumbing Items at my local Lowes. But discounts on appliance sale items! Go figure.

Anyway, I appreciate any discount for my 24 years of Navy service, but I don't complain if I don't get it.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 06-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #95

Privelege or Entitlement?

You know? It’s interesting to read the “opinions” on this topic. For 30 years I lived life “unrecognized” as a former (combat damaged) Marine. Perhaps those who take exception to criteria concerning a COMPLIMENTARY “gift of recognition”, fractional or otherwise, be it Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, or any hundreds of restaurants, movie theaters, parks, recreation facilities, game and fish licensures, car rentals, airlines, and even Greyhound Bus, just say NO THANK YOU! This way there is no disparity.

Perhaps this post, (or more accurately reply's), is a sign of the times. Are we PRIVELEGED or ENTITLED to another’s gift?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #96

Once I signed up on line for Lowes no problems at all. At checkout give my phone number and it brings up account and discount is applied. To date I have received the 10% on everything I have purchased. Sometimes it’s not much but when you purchase new appliances or other large items it adds up. Doesn’t take much to spend 100.00 bucks and then you get 10.00 back. Yea that’s lunch almost.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #97

I didn't enlist thinking I'd get a discount at places upon my discharge. I don't use the reserved "Veteran's Parking" spaces at my local Home Depot, I figure those who have mobility issues should be using them.

Finally used my first veteran benefit a few years ago when I refinanced my house using a VA home lone. Lots of red tape but it was worth it financially. I've never signed up or used any other VA benefit and I'm in my mid 50's.

If I am making a major purchase at HD, I'll tell them I am a veteran and they do give me the 10% off. I still feel uncomfortable doing this but the dollars do add up on big items. Half the time they don't even want to see proof of my veteran's status, the other half I dig out a copy of my DD214 that has my SSN blacked out.

I am grateful to receive this discount but do not feel I'm entitled to it or that any business must give it to me. If HD stopped providing the veteran's discount, I'd still shop there and not even give it another thought.

Just my two cents worth!
Chris
Former Sgt.
2/325 Airborne Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division
Scout/Sniper Platoon (Recon)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #98

I am grateful for any veteran or military discount. The biggest benefit of Lowe's method of providing the discount is you can get the discount for online orders which is really convenient since some stuff isn't always in stock and can be delivered to your home. I have saved hundreds of dollars that way. Sure you can go to Home Depot service desk and get it applied retroactively.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #99

Chiming in late

Hope this has not been covered but, I have a big beef with Home Depot giving me B.S. about Veterans Discount but only if you are a retiree.
A Veteran is ANYONE who served honorably. I received this same B.S. in California and again in Massachusetts. Go to Lowe's, sign up and get your 10 percent discount every time!
'Nuff said, Semper Fi
Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #100
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As I mentioned I avoid HD and use lowe's I do not always go for the discounts especially for small ticket Items. i use mostly for large ticket Items and there it makes a difference. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Closed Thread