Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Military Campground Availability

Interested in knowing your experience with getting into military campgrounds in Florida during Jan, Feb & March? Some don't allow advance reservations. We drove thru Mayport and Jacksonville NAS in February and noted a few openings. Yet Patrick AFB doesn't take reservations, so wondering how difficult it to get a full hook-up site during the winter months.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
Interested in knowing your experience with getting into military campgrounds in Florida during Jan, Feb & March? Some don't allow advance reservations. We drove thru Mayport and Jacksonville NAS in February and noted a few openings. Yet Patrick AFB doesn't take reservations, so wondering how difficult it to get a full hook-up site during the winter months.

Ralph...not sure about the winter months ...but we visited Pelican Roost in Jacksonville, Patrick AFB, and Blue Angel in Pensacola in mid to late Oct and got in very easy. None was filled up at all and we enloyed them all.

Love all the Famcamps we have visited.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
H2oski

I think the problem is the further south you go the harder it is to get in. A couple of years ago we went to key west in may. No problems gettting a site on the navy base. Fellow campers told me 1 oct they had 500 in overflow and 100 E/W/S sites. I found if you call they are pretty up front with you about weather you will get in or not. The host has been doing this year after year in some cases. I have no experiance with Patrick AFB though.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

Stayed at Patrick AFB in Dec. You can call ahead and see but weekends are pretty full, have some places with sewer, but hard to get a lot of snow birds but they have always had some with out. You have to go in the rear gate
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Being a Snowbird to Florida myself for a couple of years now, here is my experience.

You are equipped for "dry camping" to visit Florida FAMCAMPs in the winter season. QUIET Generator (most military FAMCAMPs have sound level rules and quiet hours that are strictly enforced - you will be booted if you are too loud) and a "blue Boy" for emptying your tanks required.

Patrick AFB - No reservations accepted; but has NEVER turned anyone away (except for one year when their overflow lot (dry camping area) was underwater). You are in a rotation for full hookups. 2 weeks max stay in hookups when there is a rotation.

Key West - No reservations accepted; but has NEVER turned anyone away (except for one year when their overflow lot (dry camping area) was underwater). You are in a rotation for full hookups. 2 weeks max stay in hookups when there is a rotation.

MacDill AFB - 3 tier Reservation system. The one I have used is the 3rd tier where you dry camp while on a list for the 20 full hookup sites reserved for "walk ins" - rotation based.

For the latest info and experience forum I highly recommend www.usmilitarycampgrounds.com and (their Windows software!) for the latest on every military campground in the US. The web site is run by a retired military guy and is supported by the sale of their stand alone search engine for military campgrounds. (I have no financial interest in them or their software)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

Tyndall AFB does not take reservations at least they didn't, for retirees a few years ago. it is located just outside the Tyndal base gates just over the bridge from Parker, Fl, they have some sites that have full hook ups and some with electric. and on the beach as well it is (or was a beautiful campground)
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
Tyndall AFB does not take reservations at least they didn't, for retirees a few years ago. it is located just outside the Tyndal base gates just over the bridge from Parker, Fl, they have some sites that have full hook ups and some with electric. and on the beach as well it is (or was a beautiful campground)
We stopped there ten years ago. Very nice, indeed...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #8

Have never been turned away at a MCG. Best source for information is as Herk7769 listed.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJnLilly View Post
Have never been turned away at a MCG. Best source for information is as Herk7769 listed.
Most (if not all) military campgrounds have a reasonable overflow area. While you might not get any hookups, most campground hosts will try to get you at least electric and water; if possible.

Having a small QUIET generator is a must if you do this a lot. Generators are normally allowed with quiet hours and daytime running requires you acquiesce to a "sound level check" if there are complaints and they do come with a meter if you are too loud.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

What are the requirments to use a military camp ground i was in the navy for 6 years. Do you have to be a retiree, active duty or reserve
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
What are the requirments to use a military camp ground i was in the navy for 6 years. Do you have to be a retiree, active duty or reserve
You have to have continuing base access; (with certain exceptions for base employees) only Retired Reserve with ID cards, Active Duty, and Active Drilling Reservists may use MRW facilities (like FAMCAMPS).

Thank you for your service; just 14 more years and you would have qualified!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

I was in during the 80's it was a bad time for the navy or should i say milatary in general. They were having early out programs, fored reductions and such.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

On a trip west on I-10, attempted to stay over night at Fort Bliss, El Paso, TX RV camp. Was turned away as the park was full, no slots available, even for an over-night stay! It was dark but I can imagine this park has a number of full-timers taking up capacity. Lessoned learned call ahead....
robcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote