Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Yes you are correct, unless you apply for unemployability which would put you at 100%. Don't know your work status, but they would give it to you for that reason. I think the last I heard it's like a 2 year wait for a claim now. I have been waiting on a 10% increase for over a year now on my Prostate Cancer, It is even out already for a year. I mean how long dose it take to read a biopsy and hospital report of the removal? Thanks for your service, I also served in Nam for 28 mos.
You need to check with the DAV, its got some good people, people that know how to help veterans. The DAV gets paid nothing to help veterans, its veterans helping veterans, great people to work with. The VA is really all about not helping veterans, it costs them money to help you and yet you earned it. I have found out that the VA hospital's main goal is you get the veteran in the front door and out the back door and spend very little money on you. Thats what I have been saying all along is the military campgrounds had rather keep the campgrounds full of whoever so they can keep everyone working, it does not matter it MWR has to many people working, its all about keeping there jobs, they could care less about the active duty and retires, its all about there jobs and what friends they can help get a job there. We don't count!
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #102

DAV
Military Order of the Purple Heart
VFW
American Legion
Your states Veterans Commision

All will assist with filing of claims and you don't need to be a member of any of the organizations to get assistance

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #103
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
If any of you are down this way the San Angelo Texas Goodfellow air force rec. camp is a really nice rv park and it is on the lake. The park is usually no more than half full. They just doubled the size of the park but not many have used the new part so far that i have seen. That was the reason for my comments about letting vets use the parks to fill them up.
Goodfellow AFB - is that still open? Every now and then there's talk of shutting that base down,but I guess it's important to some people to keep it open.

San Angelo - a nice town - used to have a great steakhouse there. San Angelo was in the Lubbock FAA office district and always a great place to visit on FAA business - nice little airport.

Some people might not know it - back in the 1980-1990 time frame Mitsubitue (sp) built an airplane called the MU 2 - a two engine turboprop. The plane was built in Japan,then broken down and shipped to San Angelo for reassembly. Something about taxes.

The boxes used to ship the parts from Japan to San Angelo were made from mahogany and like most Japaness products were well made.

You now know more about San Angelo than you probably cared to.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #104

yes Goodfellow afb is still here..yes a very nice city except for our water situation.
The rec camp is very nice and like i said usually only half full or less. Goodfellow is
where all services get their firefighters trained and does something with languages and crypto also oh and the only afb i have seen that does not have a runway of any kind.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #105
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
yes Goodfellow afb is still here..yes a very nice city except for our water situation.
The rec camp is very nice and like i said usually only half full or less. Goodfellow is
where all services get their firefighters trained and does something with languages and crypto also oh and the only afb i have seen that does not have a runway of any kind.
I know they train all services in some kind of language and crypto stuff. I didn't know about the firefighting part.

Probably the only AFB in our district that we didn't have any FAA business on,so I was never there.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #106
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
I'm a retired DOD civilian, and ex active duty Army, plus went back to work at Redstone Arsenal Army base in Huntsville, AL as a contractor on the Army side (NASA is there too). I spoke to the MWR folks there and if you have civilian retiree's ID card you can use the RV campground. Also, civilian contractors with an active CAC (Common Access Card) can use the campground too. Not sure if this is DOD wide but most MWR (Moral Welfare Recreation) facilities are run the same way.
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
OK so we are going to DC next year to take the DW to see the Cherry Blossoms (TDY there a zillion times this will be her first!)

Checked out Belvior - NICE FAMCAMP but Springfield is the closest station to town.

Any suggestions where to stay in the area to tour my wife around?
Going to DC.....and retired military.....check out the FAMCAMP at Andrews Air Force Base. We stayed there 5 nights year before last and enjoyed it totally. Great camp hosts that offer a ton of info and a Metro Station 2 miles away takes you right to downtown without any parking headaches.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
I'm a retired DOD civilian, and ex active duty Army, plus went back to work at Redstone Arsenal Army base in Huntsville, AL as a contractor on the Army side (NASA is there too). I spoke to the MWR folks there and if you have civilian retiree's ID card you can use the RV campground. Also, civilian contractors with an active CAC (Common Access Card) can use the campground too. Not sure if this is DOD wide but most MWR (Moral Welfare Recreation) facilities are run the same way.
If you carry a CAC card you can also stay, I met a lot of folks that where working with a cac and they can stay on base, The only difference is if they are actively working. They still have to go by what ever that base limit is to stay, most have to get a letter from the Commander to have an extended stay, thats all bases.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #109

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
If you're near St. Angelo, TX, Goodfellow AFB, and looking for a military RV park, there is a new one there. The attached article explains it. Lt. Col. Muller, in 1 of the 2 photos, is a former Eagle Scout from my Boy Scout Troop. (I'm quite proud of him) If any of you guys get there, ask to speak to him and tell him his Scoutmaster, Mr. G, says "Hi". http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123366287

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
If you're near St. Angelo, TX, Goodfellow AFB, and looking for a military RV park, there is a new one there. The attached article explains it. Lt. Col. Muller, in 1 of the 2 photos, is a former Eagle Scout from my Boy Scout Troop. (I'm quite proud of him) If any of you guys get there, ask to speak to him and tell him his Scoutmaster, Mr. G, says "Hi". http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123366287
I'm glad to see they are expanding, I hope they plant some trees If I'm thinking right it get's pretty HOT down there in the summer months. THey pretty much have something at every base now. They keep improving them monies better spent then on some other things they buy........ By the way I use the web site Military CG, But they have some book that is better I forgot the name of it but my wifes looks for it at every base and they are always sold out. Gives ya a lot more information. Every trip we take we at least try and stay at one for a few days. America is GOOD

Old 03-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #111

I learn something new about Ft. Fisher all the time. I called today for 4 nights at Aug 28 to Sep 1 and was told for under a week you can only book 60 days out, a week or more and it can be 18 months
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #112

fyi - Those military campgrounds are not supported by tax dollars. They are non-appropriated fund facilities which means they are non-profit and self-supporting from fees collected and donations and other non-tax sources. I am a dod civilian, a veteran (not retired) and I would like to continue to be able to use these facilities after I retire. I think if you get a retired dod civilian ID card you can continue to use some of these facilities. All usage is at each separate facilities discretion. Some do not allow dod civilians. Ft Fisher is open. There is no gate. Therefore access to the property is not an issue. Whoever checked in all those people made the decision.
nights camped 2011: 42
nights camped 2012: 48
nights camped 2013: 40
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I learn something new about Ft. Fisher all the time. I called today for 4 nights at Aug 28 to Sep 1 and was told for under a week you can only book 60 days out, a week or more and it can be 18 months
It is really weird how they do it, Like I said before I have been trying to stay at the Coast Guard base in the key's and they are always full for the winter, I guess they let you book a year in advance. I go to Florida every year for atleast a month, My sister live 's in Miami, Dade County has a great RV Park next to the zoo. You can get a space there anytime except through Dec. and March. The snow birds all go and stay there and before they leave they book for the next year. My name has been on waiting list for 3 years. I don't know what place but you can really only get in if someone die's hate to say that I wish no bad on anyone but that's is as hard it is to get in. I think it's called John Penny. In the heart of Miami and little Havana area.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #114
B47

I'm wondering if Spock 123 received any reply to the letter he was going to write to his representative regarding his experience at the military campground that started this thread?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I'm wondering if Spock 123 received any reply to the letter he was going to write to his representative regarding his experience at the military campground that started this thread?
Not yet, I have some more to call. I will let you know when I find out something

Tags
mpg