Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #21
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well its not right, besides MWR is not in the money making buisness. I may not can do anything about it but I intend to make someone mad. I think I can call enough people to get someone mad, anyway I don't have alot to do on a cold day, its not right that people like me earned those benefits and civilians can take advantage of it.

Oh contrare, They are a non appropriated fund activity and have to pay there own way, which is why many of them prefer full campgrounds, so they have the $$$ to pay and hire staff.

Still they should accommodate ALL active duty and retired service members, and clear them a spot when they come in. Just fair, I would think. They could have a policy that let the civilians in with the understanding that they would have to vacate if a service member came in.

That's not the reg but certainly the way I would want it done.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

On the other hand my brother in arms....

Still working for the Army in a somewhat senior position, I get to sit in on a lot of the budgetary briefings and....well we are not the size of force we were back in the '80 (or '90s for that matter!) Base Alignment and Closures (BRAC), force drawdowns, budget cuts and lack of appropriations are making for lean times - not just big Army (Navy/AF/Marines/CG) but IMCOM (Installation Command) as well.

Lots of hard choices are being made - there is even a plan on the Hill (Congress) to close Commissaries. Secretary Hagel has his 2014 budget proposal to draw the force down to pre-WWII (Yes, World War II!) levels.
So this will have a huge impact all the Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) facilities.

Not sure if you are aware of this Spock, but MWR is part of the Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) activities on a installation. NAF is funded solely by generated income. (Unlike Appropriated Funds Appropriated by Congress and used to pay for Service Member & DOD Civilian wages, new equipment, and physical plant .

This translates into a two-edge cut for benefits: Less Active Duty and DOD Civilian users of these facilities means less income for these MWR Activities. Less generated income means less funds for maintenance, repair and improvements. This is why some military facilities are allowing a limited number of local civilians to Buy memberships to their golf courses its either do this or close the course (to the detriment of the Service Members and authorized DOD Civilians)

Even the Appropriated fund facilities are feeling the Sequestration pinch here in Huntsville Alabama on Redstone Arsenal, Post housing which used to be available only for military members is now advertising that DOD Civilians can lease quarters on post as well.

Its a tight budget out there battle buddy and benefits are not just eroding but disappearing. Not for lack of trying either the bank account is just empty

Hope this explains what is going on a bit better to you.

X2 what he said better than what I said at the same time.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #23
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I thought only military and DOD civilians could use military campgrounds but I am wrong, civilians can use them too. I was at Ft Fisher military campground this past weekend and the place was full of campers but only one had ever been in the military, that was the one that signed for all the spots. A good Sam club that had a one member of the military had signed for all the spots. This does not seem right to me
Just curious - how many sites were there? Are you saying that only one person in the entire campground was in the military while everyone else was not? I just make to double check that you are not talking about a large group but rather everyone except for one person.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

On the other hand my brother in arms....

Still working for the Army in a somewhat senior position, I get to sit in on a lot of the budgetary briefings and....well we are not the size of force we were back in the '80 (or '90s for that matter!) Base Alignment and Closures (BRAC), force drawdowns, budget cuts and lack of appropriations are making for lean times - not just big Army (Navy/AF/Marines/CG) but IMCOM (Installation Command) as well.

Lots of hard choices are being made - there is even a plan on the Hill (Congress) to close Commissaries. Secretary Hagel has his 2014 budget proposal to draw the force down to pre-WWII (Yes, World War II!) levels.
So this will have a huge impact all the Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) facilities.

Not sure if you are aware of this Spock, but MWR is part of the Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) activities on a installation. NAF is funded solely by generated income. (Unlike Appropriated Funds Appropriated by Congress and used to pay for Service Member & DOD Civilian wages, new equipment, and physical plant .

This translates into a two-edge cut for benefits: Less Active Duty and DOD Civilian users of these facilities means less income for these MWR Activities. Less generated income means less funds for maintenance, repair and improvements. This is why some military facilities are allowing a limited number of local civilians to Buy memberships to their golf courses its either do this or close the course (to the detriment of the Service Members and authorized DOD Civilians)

Even the Appropriated fund facilities are feeling the Sequestration pinch here in Huntsville Alabama on Redstone Arsenal, Post housing which used to be available only for military members is now advertising that DOD Civilians can lease quarters on post as well.

Its a tight budget out there battle buddy and benefits are not just eroding but disappearing. Not for lack of trying either the bank account is just empty

Hope this explains what is going on a bit better to you.
Hey lets put a big sign on the gate and say for $25 anyone can camp, we are not making enough money on the the PX and commissaries lets open everything up. Hey that goes for the VA hospital too and the base hospital.
__________________
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
markb5900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Hey lets put a big sign on the gate and say for $25 anyone can camp, we are not making enough money on the the PX and commissaries lets open everything up. Hey that goes for the VA hospital too and the base hospital.
What about us disabled veterans that are not retired, we can't use them either.
The rules are there and we all abide by them.
I think as a DAV I should be able to use military campgrounds also, but I can't. Life goes on.
__________________
Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2017 GMC 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
Here is my 2 cents, and it don't mean much!!

I work on Parris Island, and I'm a retired Marine. You can't move in the PX on Thursday and Friday. Almost every Friday is a graduation. Thursday's are "family day" and the base is open to droves of civilians walking around looking at everything with their new Marine. The sole purpose of opening the PX is to allow those family members to purchase everything under the sun that has an Eagle, Globe and Anchor (The Marine Corps Emblem) on it. The emblem is similar to my avatar. The avatar is a buzzard, bomb and hook, to kinda mimic the EGA. No disrespect intended.
The CG of the base is considering extending family day to include Wednesday. The sole purpose.....more money to be spent in the PX.
Parris Island has a campground too, and guess who uses it most....families of those attending a graduation.
I don't agree with it either, but when we used to have "special services" it seemed like they were there to take care of the service member. Now that it's MWR it feels like a total money issue. We've had several restaurants on board the depot leave because MWR wants more of the take. We used to jokingly call MWR, "Marines We Rob" when I was in the fleet.
__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #27
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Posts: 1,250
That's what they did at one of the Navy FAMCAMPS (Adm Baker FAMCAMP) but charge civilians $5 more. Looked up the FAMCAMP you are refering to, it's a small one that accepts resverations, but says nothing in their policy about civilians, sounds like the good old boy network rules, be willing to bet who ever took the resverations for the group are good old buddies with someone.
__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
Skip
NO3putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Just curious - how many sites were there? Are you saying that only one person in the entire campground was in the military while everyone else was not? I just make to double check that you are not talking about a large group but rather everyone except for one person.
I checked with four campers and they had never served a day in the military and were not DOD civilians, they were in a Good Sam group that had over one hundred members and only four were retired military and they can reserve a spot 1 year in advance. It said on there web site that groups could not reserve spots in June, July and August but we go there every month. We have not been in about a year and we were surprised to find the campground full, they only have 21 spots with full hookups, its a good little campground and we do go a lot, they know us by first name. It is normanly full in the summertime with full time military. It use to be active duty military could rent 90 days in advance and retired military 75 days in advance. It use to stay full in the summertime with active duty and that was find with us I am going at Easter and I have to move for two days with only 20amps and no water or sewer
__________________
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
markb5900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 649
Just curious Spock, did you not get the site you wanted?
Someone with you not able to camp because of this group?
__________________
Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2017 GMC 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
What about us disabled veterans that are not retired, we can't use them either.
The rules are there and we all abide by them.
I think as a DAV I should be able to use military campgrounds also, but I can't. Life goes on.
100% disabled veterans can use the campgrounds
__________________

__________________
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mpg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.