Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #41
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I am a Navy Veteran of 13 years and I cannot stay at the Military campgrounds from what I was told when I called them, I may be a veteran, but I am not retired or on active duty. So do any of you know if this is a true statement. The only thing that I have is my DD214 and my lifetime membership card at the VFW as proof and I guess this is not good enough to stay at them.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
What about us disabled veterans that are not retired, we can't use them either.
The rules are there and we all abide by them.
I think as a DAV I should be able to use military campgrounds also, but I can't. Life goes on.
I'm a 100% rated disable veteran I use the camp grounds anytime I can I have a life time pass or ID my wife has to renew hers every 5 years. I enjoy them and think of it as privilege not a free be. I have heard of a soldier's family staying like for a graduation but they have to be met at the gate when his party arrives. Each base is different, It is really up to the Commanding officer of the base itself. They would still need to get a pass to get on the base. Do I think it is right no I don't they could have stayed at a close CG and then travel in by car. With that said I'm sure it would have to have been approved by the base Commander. Don't know the whole story......Thank you all that served. SYE unless you have a VA rating as a veteran of 100% they will not let you stay on them.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #43

I agree with Spock. I am retired Navy and a group that size should not be allowed with one sponsor or even two. It should be a 1:1 ratio or 1:2 worst case. I belong to a couple of camping groups and would never use the military camping here in Maine for one of those groups. I would ask at the local level and use the "chain of command" to resolve the issue.

2015 Nights Camping: 39
2016 Reserved: 23
Davylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #44

That is correct. Congress is the governing body that sets the funding and authorization for who is allowed to use Category A, B, C appropriate/non appropriate facilities. Installation Commanders have some special authority but not much. This covers all the services to include the Coast Guard. As a rule, DAVs under 100% and those who did not earn a retirement pension are not authorized to use base facilities. This issue is with Congress not your MWR. They would give everyone access if they could because they must break even as a business entity or face being closed. With this being said, ID card holders have priority at all MWR activities and facilities.
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
spock123, I am retired USAF and live in the Goldsboro area. I stayed at SJ AFB FAMCAMP several times and haven't experienced your situation yet.

Have you spoke to a supervisor in the MWR chain of command yet?
I spoke to the lady thats the supervisor at Ft Fisher, a Katy Powell and she told me that in the off season one person with a military ID could rent all the spaces they wanted, all 21 spaces if they wanted too, thats just not right. I have called in the off season and could not get a space for the weekend and that could have been the reason, she said so. Well I called Senator Richard Burr today and I was told to get some people's names and they would handle it, Kay Hagen tomorrow
Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #46
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I spoke to the lady thats the supervisor at Ft Fisher, a Katy Powell and she told me that in the off season one person with a military ID could rent all the spaces they wanted, all 21 spaces if they wanted too, thats just not right. I have called in the off season and could not get a space for the weekend and that could have been the reason, she said so. Well I called Senator Richard Burr today and I was told to get some people's names and they would handle it, Kay Hagen tomorrow
I would be interested in Ms. Powell's definition of "off season" as she uses it here.

Is March an "off season" month in NC?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I would be interested in Ms. Powell's definition of "off season" as she uses it here.

Is March an "off season" month in NC?
Yes, Jan, Feb,Mar,Apr,May,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #48

Quote:

Question is: Is the 'Off Season' posted anywhere?

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #49
B47

Quote:
That surprises me that June,July and August are the only "on-season" months if you will.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #50

Just to jump in, being retire military and having stayed at a few bases and post, we have a local small army depot that has a pool, gym, golf course and soccer fields. These all are available to the local community, but at a higher price than what retirees, DOD employees or active military pay. Sometimes, it gets a little crowded, but overall its worth it because each one of these would be closed without the civilians that pay the extra to use.

I have stayed at Camp Lejuene a few times and they have limits on how many times a year you can reserve spots. I think its two.

Now for someone to come in and reserve all or a majority of spots for a large group, is a little bit greedy, unless it was during a time when there is little to no usage and it unlikely the spots are going to be used.

As stated in an earlier post, it has turned into a money game a long time ago with MWR in an attempt to make more money.

I know money is shuffled around from a money making activity to pay for a facility or activity that doesn't make money, but is popular with certain installation leadership figures. Example are base Golf Courses and Officer Clubs.

Tags
mpg