Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #61

I guess with only 70% disability and 3 years of service including a long trip to vietnam i do not qualify.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #62
Always Learning

Thanks for clarifying guys. Looks like I was wrong with my thoughts that spock wasn't being turned away due to being full.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
I guess with only 70% disability and 3 years of service including a long trip to vietnam i do not qualify.
Yes you are correct, unless you apply for unemployability which would put you at 100%. Don't know your work status, but they would give it to you for that reason. I think the last I heard it's like a 2 year wait for a claim now. I have been waiting on a 10% increase for over a year now on my Prostate Cancer, It is even out already for a year. I mean how long dose it take to read a biopsy and hospital report of the removal? Thanks for your service, I also served in Nam for 28 mos.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #64

thanks for the info and Welcome Home brother
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #65
Perma-Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If MWR is renting out the spots to civilians then when I call and can't get a spot then it may as well be closed. Because the military campground is set up for active duty and retired not for civilians. If all the spots are rented out to civilians then who are they saving the campground for, not for me. The only thing MWR is doing is saving there jobs, MWR could care less about active duty and retired, its all about saving there jobs.There is at least four civilian campgrounds that are close by. Ft Fisher is $25 a night the other campgrounds are more than that, one is a KOA
My wife (active duty, 19 years) and I (retired active duty + civil service) were just down in that area. We opted for the KOA you’re talking about due to the amenities and with the 10% discount it was only $30 a night. I’ll pay that for the amenities. While I appreciate your enthusiasm you have to understand that it is a business and it has to operate as such. If these on-base campgrounds relied solely on AD and retirees they would most likely shut down. There is plenty of good deals off base for us retirees with far better facilities than anything on base. I know that the RV spots on the base where I work will let anyone with a sponsor hook up, but they will kick someone out in a heart beat for anyone on PCS orders, that’s fair enough for me.

PS...thanks to all that have served...

2014 V-Lite 30WIKSS, Diamond Package W/All the goodies

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50858_1.gif
EarlyRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #66

I (no military connection) camped at Fort Fisher, which the OP is referring to. I was the guest of a friend who is retired military. I arrived before he did, and they understandably would not let me hook up until we got him on the phone and he said he was almost there. Even so, I suspect they were breaking the rules a little bit by letting me hook up before he arrived.

This is not a closed military base. There's not even a gate. Anyone can drive in. I guess it's technically a military recreation area, although I think there are some dormitory and classroom facilities there for certain training purposes. Others will know more about this than I do. There's also an interesting military museum there with some cool stuff and some old helicopters and tanks on display. It is very convenient to Wilmington, Kure Beach and Carolina Beach.

There was a large group of Boy Scouts camping there during my visit. I was very appreciative of being a guest there. Having no military background, I was surprised and pleased that the campground office was selling liquor and beer on a Sunday morning. I bought a mini-bottle just to thumb my nose at North Carolina's archaic state alcohol laws.

It's at a great location between the Cape Fear River and the ocean.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #67
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

1. You only have to serve 181 days of ACTIVE duty and be HONORABLY discharged to be considered eligible for Veteran's benefits and therefor be considered a "veteran".

2. "Retired" can mean any number of things: you can be "medically retired" no matter the length of service. You can be retired with less than 20 years service if you were offered an early out with a lump sum payment in lieu of a monthly check. The typical "retirement" is at twenty (or more) years of honorable service.

3. Many of the military RV parks are converted former mobile home parks with water, sewer, electric and a bath house- no wifi, no cable, no pool, no hosted activities. That's why they're cheaper and appeal to the frugal amongst us. And, if you make your reservation well ahead of time, you will probably have a spot when you get there....

Just sayin'.......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #68
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
1. You only have to serve 181 days of ACTIVE duty and be HONORABLY discharged to be considered eligible for Veteran's benefits and therefor be considered a "veteran".

2. "Retired" can mean any number of things: you can be "medically retired" no matter the length of service. You can be retired with less than 20 years service if you were offered an early out with a lump sum payment in lieu of a monthly check. The typical "retirement" is at twenty (or more) years of honorable service.

3. Many of the military RV parks are converted former mobile home parks with water, sewer, electric and a bath house- no wifi, no cable, no pool, no hosted activities. That's why they're cheaper and appeal to the frugal amongst us. And, if you make your reservation well ahead of time, you will probably have a spot when you get there....

Just sayin'.......
I've heard another definition of "retired."

That being "ROAD" = Retired On Active Duty.

Seriously though - I'm a 4 year veteran and I'm in agreement with those who say that FAmCamps and other MWR functions should be limited to those who have served their nation honorably and those others who have also served their nation in some defined category.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #69

Seriously....arguing about who camps at these campgrounds. I say fill them up. Are there military campers lined up at the gates to get in? I served 6 years in the Marines and i don't think that I can even camp at these places. Like it was said, if those things that aren't making money or maybe aren't being frequently used then maybe someone (higher up) who doesn't appreciate the use of or see the need for these types of things will eliminate them altogether and nobody will be able to use them. Would you want to frequent a campground that is virtually empty most of the time?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #70
Berkshire 390QS

Authorization for MWR Facilities

I cut and pasted the following: (thanks to all that served)

Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area
(Available to Active Duty Military, Reservists, National Guard, Coast Guard, Retired Military, DoD Civilians and 100% Disabled Veteran with DoD Id card)

The Department of Defense has established DOD Instruction 1015.10, dated 31 Oct 96. Enclosure 3 details Authorized Patronage of Military MWR Programs. While all services follow this Instruction, they've also written their own to cover separate regulations.
Below is a copy of DOD Instruction 1015.10, Enclosure 3.2.1, which lists Unlimited use of MWR Programs:

Below is a copy of DOD Instruction 1015.10, Enclosure 3.2.2, which lists Limited use of MWR Programs:

NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post

(Available to Active Duty Military, Reservists, National Guard, Coast Guard, Retired Military, DoD Civilians and 100% Disabled Veteran with DoD Id card)

The Department of Defense has established DOD Instruction 1015.10, dated 31 Oct 96. Enclosure 3 details Authorized Patronage of Military MWR Programs. While all services follow this Instruction, they've also written their own to cover separate regulations.
Below is a copy of DOD Instruction 1015.10, Enclosure 3.2.1, which lists Unlimited use of MWR Programs:

Below is a copy of DOD Instruction 1015.10, Enclosure 3.2.2, which lists Limited use of MWR Programs:

unless I read this wrong it looks like 1a. 1b. 1c. 1d. allows for civilian usage

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #72
B47

Quote:

Foot note 1.a of 1015.10 pretty much says that regardless of what all the written rules say, the commander has the final say in all functions regarding who can use his/her installation MWR Programs.

Nothing new there. So in the end,the commander has the last word.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #73
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

"Foot note 1.a of 1015.10 pretty much says that regardless of what all the written rules say, the commander has the final say in all functions regarding who can use his/her installation MWR Programs.

Nothing new there. So in the end,the commander has the last word"

I think that pretty much covers the subject. Don't see any benefit in continuing with this thread as it appears that everyone's got their heads made up......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post
"Foot note 1.a of 1015.10 pretty much says that regardless of what all the written rules say, the commander has the final say in all functions regarding who can use his/her installation MWR Programs.

Nothing new there. So in the end,the commander has the last word"

I think that pretty much covers the subject. Don't see any benefit in continuing with this thread as it appears that everyone's got their heads made up......

X2

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #75
Berkshire 390QS

Agree, just though I would post what I found about the DOD policy. Each service has their rules based on the DOD rules. Myself, would allow every veteran who served their country honorably use the FAMCAMP. Thanks to those who have served.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #76
B47

Quote:
Agree, just though I would post what I found about the DOD policy. Each service has their rules based on the DOD rules. Myself, would allow every veteran who served their country honorably use the FAMCAMP. Thanks to those who have served.
Well said and I agree. As far as the commanders authority for the final say in any matter regarding his/hers installation - those of you who are in the military,served in the military or work in or on a military installation know that the commander has the final say and rightly so.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Well said and I agree. As far as the commanders authority for the final say in any matter regarding his/hers installation - those of you who are in the military,served in the military or work in or on a military installation know that the commander has the final say and rightly so.
Well I don't agree and I will keep trying because its not right.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I just don't think the commander has the final say, thats the trouble we now have with women getting abused in the military, commanders have the final say is the problem. If I can't do anything about it then maybe I can get the civilian campgrounds to make a complaint thats in the area, there is more ways than one to skin a cat.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #79

Spock123, there will be something done to better accommodate authorized ID card holders at this FAMCAMP! The difficulty management has at this location is balancing the needs of all patrons with ID card holders having priority to facilities.
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
Spock123, there will be something done to better accommodate authorized ID card holders at this FAMCAMP! The difficulty management has at this location is balancing the needs of all patrons with ID card holders having priority to facilities.
Thanks, I appreclate that, these big words I have to look up in the dictionary
But many thanks. Its a campground I like to go to all months, fall is nice to fish some. Just a nice little campground, maybe I'll see you down there sometime.

Tags
mpg