Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Military Campgrounds

I thought only military and DOD civilians could use military campgrounds but I am wrong, civilians can use them too. I was at Ft Fisher military campground this past weekend and the place was full of campers but only one had ever been in the military, that was the one that signed for all the spots. A good Sam club that had a one member of the military had signed for all the spots. This does not seem right to me

Old 03-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #2

most military campsites will allow a retired military person to sponsor someone that is not:

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

Well all thats doing is taking up the spots that are suppoused to go to the military. I am sure the campground down the road would have liked to have had those campers and it didn't. There is only 19 spots and 10 of those were taken up this weekend by cililians. It does not seem right to me, my tax dollars going to pay for military campgrounds so cililians can stay cheap and have never served
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I thought only military and DOD civilians could use military campgrounds but I am wrong, civilians can use them too. I was at Ft Fisher military campground this past weekend and the place was full of campers but only one had ever been in the military, that was the one that signed for all the spots. A good Sam club that had a one member of the military had signed for all the spots. This does not seem right to me
LKicklight is correct. I'm retired Federal,not military,but a retired military friend sponsored us at the U.S.A.F.Academy FamCamp.

Probably need to check each FAmCamps rules for specific rules.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

I have been told that if you have access to a Military Installation you can use the fam camp
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #6

I do not care who you are if you are not retired military or active military or DOD civilain it should not be done. So what you are saying is its alright for civilians to hog all the spots and the military receation to pay for your spot. I may not can do anything about it but I am going to try, my Senator is up for election this year and I can call her. 10 spots at one time just does not seem right, and they are cheaper than the private campground down the road
Old 03-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #7

I Hear you Spock - I am Former AF and current DOD Civilian. I can use any Military FAMCAMP as long as I am still active. After I retire I cannot (which I don't understand, but those are the rules).

Anyway...this may have been some sort of special situation because I try to stay at FAMCAMPS whenever possible and I have never seen huge groups of civilians camping at these camps - except in one case: In Pensacola there were 5 or 6 RVers camped over the weekend with no military connections but had been signed on by a retired Captain. Why? They were part of a RV club that had come down to attent the funeral of a fellow RV'er who was being buried in the national Military Cemetary on Pensacola NAS.

Might I make a suggestion? A friendly chat with the Camp Host asking about what was going on may clear things up. If not, it will certainly provide you with specific information that you can pass on to your senator.

Oh and Spock, thank you so very much for your service to our country!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
I Hear you Spock - I am Former AF and current DOD Civilian. I can use any Military FAMCAMP as long as I am still active. After I retire I cannot (which I don't understand, but those are the rules).

Anyway...this may have been some sort of special situation because I try to stay at FAMCAMPS whenever possible and I have never seen huge groups of civilians camping at these camps - except in one case: In Pensacola there were 5 or 6 RVers camped over the weekend with no military connections but had been signed on by a retired Captain. Why? They were part of a RV club that had come down to attent the funeral of a fellow RV'er who was being buried in the national Military Cemetary on Pensacola NAS.

Might I make a suggestion? A friendly chat with the Camp Host asking about what was going on may clear things up. If not, it will certainly provide you with specific information that you can pass on to your senator.

Oh and Spock, thank you so very much for your service to our country!
hey Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

There was nothing special going on the people just wanted to go to the beach, it costs $25 a night at Ft Fisher and about $50 at the private campground or you could always stay at the NC state park with no hookups
Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
There was nothing special going on the people just wanted to go to the beach, it costs $25 a night at Ft Fisher and about $50 at the private campground or you could always stay at the NC state park with no hookups
How did they get on post/base without a CAC or ID card?

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg