Old 12-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #1

Military Campgrounds No Bargain

I have stayed at several military campgrounds (FAMCAMPS) during the last two years. These campgrounds may have been a bargain in years past but no longer. An overnight stay for $30/night seems to be what they all charge now. Although within reason, this is hardly a steep discount as some would suggest.

As expected, military campgrounds tend to be located in remote locations and the check-in office is always in a different area of the base than the campground. If staying at an Air Force base, be prepared for a lot of jet engine noise. I don't mind the noise all that much, but I don't want to have to pay to hear it.

Unless you have other business at a military base or camp, I see no reason to drive for miles out of the way just to stay there overnight. It just doesn't make good financial sense.

I would hope that FAMCAMPs can do better than this for our country's veterans.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #2

Last year we visited the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. As a military retiree I automatically made reservations at the RV park aboard Redstone Arsenal thinking that would be cheaper than the RV parks near the Space Center. When I arrived at the Center I stopped at the Center's RV park to find out where and which gate I needed to enter the base. The first thing the gentleman said at the office was that I should have stayed there. He said they were cheaper then on-base with the added benefit of just a five minute walk to the Center.

Semper Fi!

aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

The engine noise complaint at an AFB made me chuckle.

I think that $30 a night when compared to the outrageous cost of some private parks seems reasonable. Also, when considering the sole purpose isn't to just benefit veterans, programs like that are a source of revenue for other programs that directly benefit the morale of active duty service members. It's kind of a "self licking ice cream cone"

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have used them before but not a lot. Never paid over $20 a night..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

sorry, this has nothing to do with camping at military campgrounds, but gave me a huge sense of deja vu. My dad was in the Air Force, and I can remember coming back to visit from college; and asking my mom where all the jets came from. Lived on that Air Force base for 4 years and never 'heard' them.
thanks for the memories.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Empty Nesters

Vandenberg AFB on the Central Coast of California is holding at $24 for active duty and $26 for retirees for full hookup pull thru. The closest private starts at $55 per night and goes up to over $100 on the weekend with a two night minimum. 20 miles up the coast in Pismo you will find similar rates at the private campgrounds and $50 at the State Parks with partial hookups.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

At many bases (but certainly not all), the FAMCAMP has become a mining source of revenue to supplement the money sucking "clubs" and golf courses.

To keep green fees down and allow the base wives clubs free access to "club improvements" money (I mean Jeez, how many times do we need to change the color of dining room linens?), the fees charged by the money makers keep going up.

The closer you are to winter time attractions, the closer to parity with local RV park costs become. Don't even start talking about Snowbird base destinations.

Northern tier bases are a much better deal for the most part for that very reason. US Military Campgrounds website (free) and software (annual fee) does a great job with up to date reviews on costs, site availability, WiFi, cable etc, and the "big deal", GPS coordinates, procedures, and, routes for on base rig arrival and departure.

WORTH the fee for the software so you have access to database without internet access.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Is FAMCAMP soley an AFB organization?

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Ask the Chief

Here's a link to the military campgrounds site: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home

There's a mobile app as well.

Military campgrounds may give some the peace and mind knowing they're safe and secure. I haven't used one yet, but plan to next year.
Days camped 2018: 3 (Reserved)
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Color me stupid.... active or DAV military should be free and ??% discount for retired military.

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg