Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

Military Campgrounds, recommendations ?

100 % disabled Vet was upgraded to 100% this past Sept. Going to hit the road Jun/ July with my wife and see some country side while I still can !
Looking to utilize some of the Base recreation Campgrounds. Any recommendations on best ones, ones to avoid ect.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

This is probably the best information you'll find on the WWW. Everything you need to know in one link including a nice forum.

Log-in, it's free. Ask larryf how to move around in the link. He has always owned and maintained it.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - U.S. Military Campgrounds Discussion Forums - Category Index

Here is a sample of some of the military campgrounds/RV parks we have stayed at.

http://fasteagle-militarycampgrounds.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks Airedale for the info, and thanks for serving OUR COUNTRY ! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for ! Your pictures and descriptions are great !
Old 03-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #4

I usually use the link above. then try and review the CG's OWN page (if available). As with private CGs, some are better than others. Have only hit Camp Grayling (MI,), Pensacola (FL), New Orleans NAS (LA), Corpus Christi, Ft Sam & Dyess (TX) along with USAFA (Co) & Lake Alatoona, GA.. Tried Anniston AL (small facility w/ homesteading contractors). None were bad, but Alatoona & Graying were challenging to get a 36' TT backed into.. Dyess was almost like an open parking lot. Allstays Camp & RV (smart phone app) is good and will filter down to specific type CGs (Corp, DOD, private, etc) and use that when computer not available/connected. (TYPICALLY) can't beat their prices. AND. usually a 'long term' (week or more) can drop the price a bit more. To me, one of the best 'post service' perks out there! Try as many as you can!!
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks woody9 I'm hoping to do just that! I have a nephew that is working for the National Park Service at Grand Teton, so hopefully to work our way out there at some point.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

Militarycampgrounds.us is also a good site.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

If you make it to the coast of NC the campground on Camp Lejuene is a great little place! Located on the inter-coastal waterway side of the barrier island the beach is less than a 5 minute walk across the street. Convenience store right next door, pet friendly (need record of rabies vaccination), and quiet! Unless of course the Marines are performing manuevers but then thats the sound of Freedom and that is a wonderful sound!!

Onslow Beach RV Park & Campground

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

To use military camp grounds do you need to be active military? retired military, or can family of retired or active military use them. My dad was a Marine 28 years , and brother was USCG 32 years, . Both have since passed. Just wondering if family can use them, I remember camping at some of them with my brother when he was active.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

I may be wrong but I think you have to be active duty or retired to utilize the military campgrounds, most are on base so you need an ID Card to get entry. I may be wrong.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Thank you !
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
To use military camp grounds do you need to be active military? retired military, or can family of retired or active military use them. My dad was a Marine 28 years , and brother was USCG 32 years, . Both have since passed. Just wondering if family can use them, I remember camping at some of them with my brother when he was active.
Authorized Users:

Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV, Cadets, DoD Civilians, Guests.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
100 % disabled Vet was upgraded to 100% this past Sept. Going to hit the road Jun/ July with my wife and see some country side while I still can !
Looking to utilize some of the Base recreation Campgrounds. Any recommendations on best ones, ones to avoid ect.
Peregrine Pines at the Air Force academy is a nice Famcamp. Nellis air Force Base in North Las Vegas, NV is a nice Famcamp also. It's not on the strip but the price is right and the facility is quite nice. There are many others.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
Almost all military bases have rv parks they recommend. Also check each state almost all have disabled veterans passes that are permanent and cover all parks.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #14

Try MilitaryCampgrounds.com as a GREAT source of information.
We have stayed at Scott AFB near St. Louis, MO., Tinker AFB, Oklahoma City, OK., among many others. The over all best for us was the Naval Base at Mayport, FL.....get one of the water front sites if you can. Another high on the list is Navy Famcamp on Coronado Island in San Diego, CA. Dayton, Ohio AFB, next to the Air Force Museum is good as well as Andrews AFB in Washington DC.
Some we have stayed at are not as exciting as others but we used them all as base camp during vacation trips and were out and about most days, and the value for the price can not be beaten.
Enjoy sir and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE,
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #15
Home2Roam

Send a message via MSN to Home2Roam Send a message via Skype™ to Home2Roam
Military Campground Reviews

We Just started full-time RVing and have been staying at military campgrounds out west from Tucson to the California coast. We're currently at San Onofre Beach (Camp Pendleton).

They've closed the lower beach spaces due to coastal flooding here but the bluff sites are huge and the view is beautiful!

Melanee
Home2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #16

We've been to several military Famcamps/campgrounds. Best so far is Mayport Pelican Roost near Jacksonville, FL. We just returned from Shields Famcamp in Gulfport, MS where we found some of the best rates and is adding an additional campground due to be open soon. Fort Leonard Wood has a nice recreation area on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri where a person can rent boats, jet skis, pontoons. We were not impressed with Short Stay at Moncks Corner, SC on Lake Moultrie. The campground gets swampy after a half inch of rain. Fort Sam Houston was very nice as was Joint Base Charleston. Altus AFB, OK is small and in the open. Tinker AFB, OK and Malmstrom AFB, MT are about the same. Scott AFB, IL and Wright-Patterson AFB, OH are good. If you are staying in the Tacoma, WA area, would recommend the Army's campground on American Lake versus the Air Force's on McChord AFB. F.E. Warren AFB in Wyoming has a nice campground. Haven't been to Tyndall or Eglin AFB, FL campgrounds lately, but were both nice several years ago. Hope this helps!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #17

We had an overnight stay at Grassy Pond Recreation Area in Valdosta, GA and would definitely stay there again. It is part of Moody AFB but the RV park is open to the public. Nice wooded park with all hookups.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #18

One of our camping buddies raves about Pax River in MD (Solomon's). He is from that area and goes there every year. So, this time we will be accompanying him for the week of July 4th. It is a long drive for us, but based on what he said, it will be worth it. This will be our first visit to a military campground. Both my husband and our friend are retired Navy.

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #19

Don’t overlook the military veterans service organizations such as the VFW & American Legion. Access to VFW is based on actual service in a combat zone. The American Legion allows all veterans to join.

The VFW post near Yuma, AZ has a large area set aside for dry camping. Very popular in the winter months.

The American Legion post 137 at Jacksonville, FL has 8 full hook-up sites at a gated area behind their main club. The area also has a paved dual lane boat launching area with floating docks.

Here is a link to my blog post about the park.

Stories about our RV parking places: American Legion Post #137 - Jacksonville, FL
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #20

We've stayed at many, many bases of all the Services. I haven't found a bad one yet. Sure is nice to be inside a fence guarded by Military police with a whole array of weapons at their disposal. Nice also to have access to BX and Commissary. We've had experience with several online apps, but now use "Allstays C-RV Military". (Note: a very small number of bases are active duty or retired only). "Bubbles" on this thread has the correct listing of authorizations. One thing you want to be absolutely sure of before going to any location is what gate to use to get on the installation. Most have a preferred RV entry gate and some gates even have barriers that big rigs won't fit through. You may also be asked if you are carrying any weapons. I've been told before to turn them in at the armory in the morning, but in the majority of cases, I haven't been asked.
One of the finest military RV camps is Chetham Navy Logistics base right near Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg in VA. It's brand new from the ground up. Super clean. (Concrete pads; showers are individual rooms.) Although it's not an RV site, don't ignore "Shades of Green" military MWR hotel at Disney World in Orland on the Disney property. 5-Star hotel with BX full of souvenirs below in-the-park prices. (You don't have to stay there to take advantage of the amenities.) We were there for 4 days just two months ago...parked at campground off-Disney to save $. Disney tickets which are normally $100 per day per person, are half price! No reservation needed...just pick them up at Shades-of-Green the day you arrive.
I am very thankful for the privilege of these benefits!
Vince
LtCol USAF Ret.

Tags
mpg