Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

not rv related- military discount tickets?

My son is an active duty Marine, about 9 months in, so a lot of stuff is new to us. We are planning a trip to visit him this fall. I am a big planner and need to work within a budget for us and our 8 kids. I don't want to bother my son just yet....but I can't find much information online.

I have found the ITT Information, Tickets and Tours information sheet. But I was hoping someone could fill me in on the process....

Say we want to go to Sea World. Can he buy the tickets for us (parents, siblings) at the discounted price? Is there a limit to the number of tickets he can buy for each location?

He goes to the ITT building on base, buys the tickets and that is it? Or is it more involved?

Also, without writing a novel...there are several different places we are looking at (disney, museums, zoos, etc.) If they offer discounts for all of these places, can he buy the tickets for all the places or is there any kind of limits we should know about?

A big thank you to anyone who can fill me in...
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Short answer is Yes. Since he will be your "sponsor" (I assume he will be going with you to the attractions?) Should not be ticket limitations if they are for family members.

Something else you may be able to utilize (especially since you are on a budget )

A lot of military facilities have RV camps! If your son can reserve you a space at one of these you can stand to save a bundle!

I am guessing your son is at Pendelton? I looked on mi military FAMCAMP app on my iPad and there are several Military RV camps in the area but looks like Seabreeze on NWS Seal Beach is the highest rated one (LOL they even have a RV wash rack!)

Even if you were charged at the "Guest" rate of $37/night instead of the Active duty rate ($30/night). Try finding that price in the San Diego Area
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Short answer is Yes. Since he will be your "sponsor" (I assume he will be going with you to the attractions?) Should not be ticket limitations if they are for family members.

Something else you may be able to utilize (especially since you are on a budget )

A lot of military facilities have RV camps! If your son can reserve you a space at one of these you can stand to save a bundle!

I am guessing your son is at Pendelton? I looked on mi military FAMCAMP app on my iPad and there are several Military RV camps in the area but looks like Seabreeze on NWS Seal Beach is the highest rated one (LOL they even have a RV wash rack!)

Even if you were charged at the "Guest" rate of $37/night instead of the Active duty rate ($30/night). Try finding that price in the San Diego Area
Thank you! Yes, my son is at Pendleton. And yes, he will be going to the attractions with us.

We are not taking the camper with us this time. MI to CA with 7 kids and my husband would have had to meet up with us in CA due to work obligations. I'm crazy but not that crazy! We are flying and found a great deal on a condo close to the ocean and base.

But someday, I would love to do a cross country road trip.....
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
H2oski

Make sure your son ask at the ITT desk about sponsoring when he buys the tickets. The reason is, if I remember Disney/Bush Gardens I can’t remember which one requires a military ID for each person over 12 years of age to accompany the tickets when you get there.

I would hate for you to spend the money and then you get there and can’t use them.

Good Luck and Enjoy

And THANK YOU and your SON for your service to America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

Just be carefull when buying tickets at the military ticket office, many times family means spouse and kids only, not parents.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

just a little extra about wearing the uniform....

As a military member he is entitled to a lot of discounts with his ID card:

I advise that any time he rents a car, amusement park, airline tickets, goes to a bank(some banks have special incentives for Military), vacation, buying a car, hotels, shopping or even autozone parts ask for the military discount.

..he will be surprised at the number places that people wouldn't expect take care of our active duty and veterans.

It is a fringe benefit of wearing the uniform that doesn't even being to compensate for the sacrifices that are made wearing it......

Made sure that he when he has time he reads up on all his VA and government benefits. Not just ones recruiter told him about.....They don't always tell you that they are there, but they are......home loans, medical, education benefits, business loans for start-up and many more....

If he ever needs help, he can always contact the local American legion and VFW for assistance with benefits....

God bless and welcome to one of the most elite brotherhoods on the planets....U.S. Military Service.........ooops, Sisterhood, too....

e the same discount.
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

You might want to check out:

MCB Camp Pendleton, California CA - Hotels, Lodging, Inns

Enter Camp Pendleton in the search box.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

Mom28:

Enjoy your trip to Southern California. It's beautiful! I've stayed at the cottages on the beach at camp Pendleton and they are very nice. Recommend taking a look if you haven't already...plus they are not that expensive. I recently took a trip to SD for work and had some time to kill in the morning. Went to Seaworld for a few hours and only had to pay for parking. They offer free admission to active duty. See link below. Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

http://wavesofhonor.com

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

And I just happened to find this a few days ago. This has discounts all over the place. Very cool site.

Military Discounts - We got 'em. Over 330K Veterans Discounts at MVDC
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #11

If your son is at Pendleton, have him look into the cottages at Del Mar Beach Resort. We spent the week between Christmas and New Years at the RV campground, but walked past the cottages. Some are less than a year old and nicely done. Prime real estate, owned by the Marines. Right off I-5, so easy access to freeway to get to attractions.
Also, try to spend some time at the Scripts Aquarium in La Jolla. Military and senior discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

For Seaworld, and other Anheiser Busch parks, they recently changed their discount. It was free admission for up to 6 people with a valid ID. Now it's 50% off. The link is as follows for this.

Military Discounts on Theme Park Tickets | Waves of Honor

For Disney the website is as follows:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/sp...4-day-tickets/

He can purchase through ITT, at my reserve base it was $5 cheaper through our ITT then purchasing them actually at Disney. You can get 6 passes, however one pass has to be used by the sponsor. This is for friends or family. We have used it a few years in a row now and it's really a good program. The sponsor has to be there to activate the cards but, after they are activated, they can be used by the person who is given the cards anytime.

The military camping is great too, sometimes hard to get in at some locations but, well worth it. We goto one near the beach in Delaware near us and for the price you can't beat it. We plan on visiting more so it's certainly something you'll want to check out.

Good luck! Tell your Son, thanks for his service!