Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #41
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
For those of us who were not in the military (but somehow think we were in a previous life due to our penchant for routine and regimen,) please elaborate on what it means to "battle park the truck." It sounds like something I should be doing either with the Jeep or the TV...
Basically you put your vehicle in a position that it is easily accessible, and quickly maneuvered to either provide support or get the "heck out of dodge".

Typically, you will see folks back their vehicles into a space at the rear of a lot with a road behind them (other side of a curb) and a path in front of them so that they can get in quickly and pull out, or if need be, reverse over terrain that is not likely to stop you to "make" and exit.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #42

Excuse my ignorance......gig line???
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #43
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Excuse my ignorance......gig line???
You must not have been in the military - "gig line" is the military term for having your shirt line and belt buckle in a straight line when in military uniform. If they were not, you were or could be given a violation or "gig".
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
You must not have been in the military - "gig line" is the military term for having your shirt line and belt buckle in a straight line when in military uniform. If they were not, you were or could be given a violation or "gig".

Always a civilian, but I do have a gig line now that I know what it is. We civilians can have discipline as well, I guess.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #45
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Always a civilian, but I do have a gig line now that I know what it is. We civilians can have discipline as well, I guess.
True - a lot of the posters on this thread still maintain their gig line and other basic military habits in civilian life.

As for myself - I don't carry many of them over, but I have always thought the military method of keeping tine (the 2400 hour way) is a great way of avoiding mistakes when speaking of AM or PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:

As for myself - I don't carry many of them over, but I have always thought the military method of keeping tine (the 2400 hour way) is a great way of avoiding mistakes when speaking of AM or PM.
Heh...I have a kind of a mix of the two when it comes to time. Especially in any kind of written correspondence (now electronic correspondence...e-mail, Word document, etc.). I normally do the "Oh Eight Hundred" (0800) for the AM stuff, but do the standard 1:00, followed by a PM for the post morning time. So between 0800 and 4:30pm, I'm at work.

That gig line is a hard one to break though. That and carrying stuff in the left hand, so you're always ready to throw up a salute. But the hair was the easiest for me. I couldn't even tell you how many LOC's (Letters of Counseling) I got for my hair and mustache being out of regs during my career. So within a month of retiring, my hair was over my ears. My mustache also got pretty scraggly. I grew the beard until I had to get serious about starting my second career. But as soon as I got my job and got comfortable with it, the hair grew back and the beard came back. I've had my beard now since November of 2000 and don't have any intentions of giving it up. And I'll keep growing my hair as long as it will grow. I'm just a left-over hippie I guess.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #47
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Heh...I have a kind of a mix of the two when it comes to time. Especially in any kind of written correspondence (now electronic correspondence...e-mail, Word document, etc.). I normally do the "Oh Eight Hundred" (0800) for the AM stuff, but do the standard 1:00, followed by a PM for the post morning time. So between 0800 and 4:30pm, I'm at work.

That gig line is a hard one to break though. That and carrying stuff in the left hand, so you're always ready to throw up a salute. But the hair was the easiest for me. I couldn't even tell you how many LOC's (Letters of Counseling) I got for my hair and mustache being out of regs during my career. So within a month of retiring, my hair was over my ears. My mustache also got pretty scraggly. I grew the beard until I had to get serious about starting my second career. But as soon as I got my job and got comfortable with it, the hair grew back and the beard came back. I've had my beard now since November of 2000 and don't have any intentions of giving it up. And I'll keep growing my hair as long as it will grow. I'm just a left-over hippie I guess.

I forgot a lot of the things you mentioned here, e.g. keeping the left hand free. But one thing I do remember is that I always hated wearing a hat and wasn't one inch outside the base gate on discharge day when it went out the window.

P.S. you didn't happen to live in Azle, Texas at one time, did you?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
But one thing I do remember is that I always hated wearing a hat and wasn't one inch outside the base gate on discharge day when it went out the window.

P.S. you didn't happen to live in Azle, Texas at one time, did you?

Heh...that reminds me of my very last day in the Air Force. I got done checking out from Kelly AFB (before it closed), and as I was driving down the road that went parallel to the flight line, I very suddenly had an overwhelming desire to just strip my BDU's off and throw them over the fence to the flighline. I didn't of course, but that memory is with me to this day.

I never lived in Azle. About the closest I've been to there would be Grand Prairie shortly after my Dad retired from the AF (back in 1974). Sure looks like a neat place though, right there on Eagle Mountain Lake. I have a little 10 acre lake in my back yard...not quite Eagle Mountain, but I like it!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #49
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior
Interesting stuff...and good reading. Unlike many of you, I tried to distance myself from the military as much as I could. Didn't do much good though.

I get up at 0500, but it's to beat the traffic. As someone else mentioned, I worked too much shiftwork and other odd hours, including flying 14 hour missions that totally screwed up everything.

After I retired from the AF, I took on the philosophy "I can grow it, therefore I will". My hair is long (well, not nearly as long as I'd like, but I DO still have to work!), and I have a beard and mustache. As long as I'm able, I will continue to grow both!

No spit shine, no ties, I do still do the gig line (damn that's a hard one to break!).

I do stand at attention and either salute or hand over heart (depending on the venue).

And I do my date/time format in a variety of ways. Just before I retired (in 2000), the military changed the format to YYYYMMMDD. Really screwed me up. I tried to defy it, and managed to retire before it was too ingrained. So I mostly still use the old format.

Now, all that being said, I don't regret a single day I spent in the military (well, there was a rough spot or two), but I also don't regret getting out. Too much was changing, and I found I could just not keep up with it anymore. IT was time to go. I don't miss it, and am glad I did it. But I am a civilian now.
I
Clerk all of the above! I'm with you all the way. Retired AF after 26 years with only one regret, leadership (both military & civilian) seems to be severely lacking today.

Would not give a plugged nickel for a do over but won't take a million bucks for the experiences I had while serving.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #50

44ys and I still hit the deck @ loud noise.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
What military habits do you still hang on to conscious or subconscious? You might have to think about it.

I still wake up at 05:00 whether I want to or not. No alarm needed
still maintain the “gig line” on my shirt, belt buckle, and trousers
still lace my boots left over right
while walking I still make “crisp” turns either at 90° or 45°
always start off walking with my left foot forward
still curl my fingers and swing 9 and 6 while walking
still use 24 hour time
still use ddmonthyy for dates (13Sep07) that really jacks people up
hang all my clothes in the same direction “dress right” in sections in the closet (this drives my wife nuts)

and last for now that I can think of:
when I’m out target shooting at a non-range (family or friend’s land, etc..) I shout “Is there anyone down range!?” and declare the range to now be “Hot” then shout “Cease fire!”
i still drive over pot holes to avoid the shoulder land mines, how ever my real question is do you really have 80,000,0xx posts
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Heh...that reminds me of my very last day in the Air Force. I got done checking out from Kelly AFB (before it closed), and as I was driving down the road that went parallel to the flight line, I very suddenly had an overwhelming desire to just strip my BDU's off and throw them over the fence to the flighline. I didn't of course, but that memory is with me to this day.

I never lived in Azle. About the closest I've been to there would be Grand Prairie shortly after my Dad retired from the AF (back in 1974). Sure looks like a neat place though, right there on Eagle Mountain Lake. I have a little 10 acre lake in my back yard...not quite Eagle Mountain, but I like it!
Kelly AFB...That's where I was discharged from in 1970..