Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

These are the same idiots that wear the flag like it's clothing. They are ignorant attention seekers that lack the imagination to get their message out another way. Same with the kneelers. They feel being inflammatory promotes their message, never considering that it is overriding and cheapening their message, no matter how bonafide it may or may not be.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #22

Flying the US flag upside down is NOT a sign of disrespect. It is, however, a sign of extreme distress. Perhaps your neighbor could benefit from a 0200 hrs visit by SWAT, EMS, Fire Department and all other first responders to inquire as to the exact nature of the distress. Please have the local news media on hand.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #23
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
Since this is in a veteran's forum...

Did you know that when the US flag is raised, lowered, or passing you, as in a parade or in review, all Armed Forces members - active, retired, and veterans - in civilian clothes, are authorized and encouraged to render a hand salute.

This was in the 2008 Defense Authorization Act. Before this law was passed, military members and veterans in civilian clothes were only authorized to place their hands on their hearts, like other civilians.

So, next time you're at a parade, ball game, and you see the flag, or hear the National Anthem, stand at attention and render a proper salute.
I use to put hand or hat over heart now when I'm attending events that play the Anthem I now salute makes me feel so much better and grateful for this great country that a lot of folks made happen. Thanks Vets and to the ones now serving. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I still do the ol' hand or hat over the heart. Old habits dies hard. I feel weird saluting out of uniform/uncovered.
Yes, those old habits die hard. I do the "hand or hat over the heart too.

I also make sure I'm "covered" whenever "under arms" (which is always when in public).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
ppine, your neighbor has an agenda and is trying to send his/her convoluted message. Conspiracy theories, special interest groups and other morons often use that tactic. They are not smart enough to realize that is a manner of surrendering their rights gained from years of service and sacrifice from men and women to assure and defend those rights.
There will always be people like that and it seems like there are more and more every day.

Arguing with them is like the old saying about wrestling with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig thoroughly enjoys it.

I don't see the upside down flag display around my neighborhood. If I did I'd ignore and hope the other's who feel like you and I did likewise. Most people that do things like this are usually just attention seekers and any challenge just feeds their actions.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #25
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Flying the US flag upside down is NOT a sign of disrespect. It is, however, a sign of extreme distress. Perhaps your neighbor could benefit from a 0200 hrs visit by SWAT, EMS, Fire Department and all other first responders to inquire as to the exact nature of the distress. Please have the local news media on hand.
No, that would serve no purpose and only exacerbate the situation. As long as the individual is not threatening or hurting someone just allow them to exercise their right of peaceful dissent. Like my Mom used to tell us kids: "MYOB".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
Since this is in a veteran's forum...

Did you know that when the US flag is raised, lowered, or passing you, as in a parade or in review, all Armed Forces members - active, retired, and veterans - in civilian clothes, are authorized and encouraged to render a hand salute.

This was in the 2008 Defense Authorization Act. Before this law was passed, military members and veterans in civilian clothes were only authorized to place their hands on their hearts, like other civilians.

So, next time you're at a parade, ball game, and you see the flag, or hear the National Anthem, stand at attention and render a proper salute.
Roger that!
Just me, if I am not wearing a cover (hat), I place my right hand over my heart. Old Army habits hard to break.

Duty,
Honor.
Country.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Can someone please explain to my neighbor that flying the flag upside down is disrespectful.?
Applying camo to my face after donning black sweats and sneakers. I surreptitious exit my back door. Recon around the block and approach the offending house...........................

Charlie Mike
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #28

Appreciate sharing the photo. I will Stand for the Flag and Kneel for God and the Fallen until the day the Lord calls me home. Thank you ALL for your Service and Freedom of Speech.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Can someone please explain to my neighbor that flying the flag upside down is disrespectful.?
Under the rules I learned way back when, flying the flag upside down at sea was an emergency distress signal.

Fred W
retired Coastie
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #30
Trailer Park Supervisor

Still is distress signal. But neighbor is using it as a protest for whatever is belly aching the usual cry babies this time. Here's what you do. Go knock on door and ask if he's in distress. When he starts with his diatribe, you go, 'so no actual emergency?' Then go away. The next day, same thing. knock, knock knock. 'Just checking to make sure you aren't having an emergency'. And again. And again. It will be fun for you. It's fun for me just thinking about and typing it! However you do it, it is essential to remain emotionless and act with decorum. DON'T GET DRAWN INTO 'DISCUSSION.'
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
No, that would serve no purpose and only exacerbate the situation. As long as the individual is not threatening or hurting someone just allow them to exercise their right of peaceful dissent. Like my Mom used to tell us kids: "MYOB".
It's amazing how smart mothers are. If everyone lived with that attitude, then world would be a better place.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:48 AM   #32

Flying the flag upside down in an emergency is the right thing to do.
Flying it upside down for 4 years because you do not like the results of an election is disrespectful and childish.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:10 AM   #33

I'm thankful I live in a country where you can disrespect our nation's flag without fear of going to jail or worse if you choose to. I don't like it but I don't have to respect free speech.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #34

I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 20 years US Army
Mitch 201 is offline   Reply With Quote