Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Sherlock

There has been some talk on this forum from others with similar problems that they can not get narcotics filled out of the state where they are written from. I am told there is also a problem shipping narcotics across state lines. I am only speaking of controlled narcotics not regular prescriptions like blood pressure meds etc.
norwood12800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwood12800 View Post
There has been some talk on this forum from others with similar problems that they can not get narcotics filled out of the state where they are written from. I am told there is also a problem shipping narcotics across state lines. I am only speaking of controlled narcotics not regular prescriptions like blood pressure meds etc.
This sounds like you are referring to what I had written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Some laws change state by state. In NJ even if mail order I can only get a 30 day supply if it is a narcotic.

I hope to go to SC later this year. I spoke to my doctor and she agreed to give my scripts to a friend of mine. She will not give them to me early so I could get them filled down there. He will have to get them filled at my drugstore, not his, and then he can send them to me. The laws are ridicules and the doctors hands are tied by the law. The druggies have really hurt those that have a legitimate reason for their meds!

Jim

You do have a good point about shipping narcotics, I really hadn't given that a lot of thought.

I'm going to have to do some research. I know my doctor would not have a problem with giving a hand written script to a friend of mine who is also seeing her. I don't know if he shipped me the script if I can get it filled out-of-state.

If I can't then I got a problem! It's a medication I can't do without so I've got to figure some way to get it while I am out of state.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
This sounds like you are referring to what I had written.

You do have a good point about shipping narcotics, I really hadn't given that a lot of thought.

I'm going to have to do some research. I know my doctor would not have a problem with giving a hand written script to a friend of mine who is also seeing her. I don't know if he shipped me the script if I can get it filled out-of-state.

If I can't then I got a problem! It's a medication I can't do without so I've got to figure some way to get it while I am out of state.

Jim
I have talked to my UPS driver today. Being I pay 40.00 a year for my notification, His thought is what Elind wrote to have them delv. to your CG when you are notified that they are coming. You have 3 days to do this he said. As far as being shipped across State lines. Mine are shipped from NC or SC to Virginia. I'm still researching this option, the VA is really useless on this subject. I also understand why the VA is doing this. I have seen with my own eyes, people picking drugs up at the VA and walk out in the parking lot and sell them on there own VA property. I had to sign an agreement with the VA that I wouldn't DR. Shop for the same med they are giving me. This is all new within the last year.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #24

my parents were up here with us this summer from Missouri. They stayed 2 months with us. Their written prescriptions (for narcotics, pain meds) were filed with Walmart in their hometown prior to leaving but not filled. Their Dr.s knew they were going to be gone for a couple months so they wrote prescriptions for each month which they then dropped off and put on file with their local Walmart pharmacy. When it came time to fill them up here we went to our local Walmart and they were filled without any issues. They were schedule II narcotics which fall under the new rules/regulations.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #25

The 30 day supply thing isn't just the VA; it affects everybody. In fact, it even affects doctors because the number of prescriptions they write for this class of medication is closely monitored.

As a former VA employee as well as a veteran who uses the VA health care system myself, here is my suggestion.

When you get to your destination in Florida, go to your nearest VA Medical Center, preferably any day but Monday and as early as possible. Go to the primary care clinic and explain that you're temporarily relocating. Helps to have a good story like helping take care of a relative who is ill. The provider will look you up on the computer system and verify your identity. For all intents and purposes, you now become a patient in their system. You can get your meds issued at the on site pharmacy OR have them mailed to your new address in Florida.

This is good for another reason. Should you become ill or suffer a shark attack, the local VA will already know who are and can expedite treatment. I think this is a far better solution than trying to finagle the mail / UPS / or Fed Ex delivery system.

Of course when you return home, you have to do the same thing at your local VA Medical Center.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

DW requires two controlled medications and Express Scripts will ship a 90 day supply anywhere we designate via USPS.

Signature Service over 18 is required.

This, I am told, is insurance dependant as when BC/BS Federal was our primary we could only get 30 days; even though Express Scripts (secondary) would have paid for 90.

Express Scripts, as Primary (Part D), was only available to us at 65 when we switched to Medicare Part A & B.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have a question to you vets that use the VA for there meds. How do I get my meds that has to be signed for while I travel? Such as myself I can only get a 30 day supply of pain meds at a time. They send them to my house and I have to be here to sign for them. If I travel to florida for an example and will not be at my home when they are delv. How do I get them at what ever location I'm at. This is like putting a chain and ball on me. I would like to go to Florida for 2 mos. but how do I get my meds I need from the VA being I'm not at my home to sign for them. I know that there must be some Vets that are doing this. The VA is no help at all when I asked them. Please help and let me know, I don't want to be tied to my home...Thanks in advance..

Not sure what pain medication you are on but I have the same issue. In fact TX would not honor my doctors written RX. I would have had to go to a TX doctor and have them write it. That is one reason we left and would only consider a short visit.
What I do in FL is I have by doctor mail me a hand written RX and any pharmacy will fill it for be. Most pain medication is inexpensive so if the insurance doesn't pay its not a big deal. I have done this in FL and Alabama so far. A call to any pharmacy in the state you wish to travel to would be a good idea.
Drug abusers have made it very difficult for the people that depend on these meds to be able to function. It's a shame that this is happening to us. That's all I can say without getting political and we don't want that.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #28

Lou, That is good to hear about Express Scripts (especially in light of our mondo Alaskan caravan in 2018!) Timing will be everything though. People will have to have the 90 day med supply to get them up to AK and then a shipment to AK to get them back to the lower 48.

I believe Express Scripts will, for an additional fee, express mail your meds (overnight or 2nd day.)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel