Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Lightbulb US Disabled Veterans, Free National Park Pass

I searched, but didn't see this jump out anywhere. I received an email update from the VA email newsletter VAntage Point today that included some information on the National Park Access Pass for disabled veterans. It's a great benefit for veterans that have a disability rating. More information is at the link below:

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/605...-access-pass/?

The link to the paper application is here: https://store.usgs.gov/s3fs-public/a...pplication.pdf

The website is a little slow to respond, so here is the full text from the link.

Spring flowers are blooming, the summer travel season quickly approaches and Veterans are joining the 330-million yearly visitors enjoying U.S. National Parks.

Many Veterans, with a service connected disability rating, are entering Federal parks for free with the Lifetime National Parks Access Pass from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Good for entry into 400+ National Parks and over 2,000 recreation sites across the country, the Lifetime Access Pass is another way a grateful nation says thank you for the service and sacrifices of Veterans with disabilities.

The Access Pass admits disabled Veterans and any passengers in their vehicle (non-commercial) at per-vehicle fee areas; and, the pass owner plus three additional adults where per-person fees are charged. In addition to free entry at participating parks, the Access Pass includes discounts on expanded amenity fees; such as camping, swimming, boat launching and guided tours.

Veterans who have a VA disability rating, (10 percent or higher) are eligible for the Lifetime Access Pass—with two ways to apply.

First, disabled Veterans can apply in person at a participating federal recreation site. Simply present photo identification (Drivers license, State ID, Passport) and documentation proving a permanent disability (VA awards letter, VA ID with service connected annotation, VA summary of benefits, or receipt of Social Security disability income). That’s It. The Pass is free and issued at the time of entry.

Second, if applying by mail, send a completed packet and $10 processing fee to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The packet should include:

The Access Pass application form
Proof of residency
VA disability award letter, VA summary of benefits, or proof of SSDI income
Pass delivery expected 10-12 weeks after receipt.

Make sure to have photo ID available when using your Lifetime Access Pass and enjoy the majestic scenery and abundant recreational opportunities our National Parks provide.

[Thanks admins for moving this to the proper section... I didn't scroll far enough down the list when choosing the spot to post.]
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I just spotted this today!

Day late and a Dollar short, I already have a Lifetime Pass.
But for all the service connected DVs out there:

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/605...paign=VAntage?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

I have 2 senior passes that I paid $10 for. Wasn’t service connected then. Good for those that needed them.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 AM   #4

I love how they always want VA documentation. My state DNR said the same thing but I sent my retired orders from the Army showing my disability retirement and I got my lifetime hunting and fishing license. I actually was hoping they would reject it because it wasn't a VA letter, then I could go to the local TV news folks and complain how the state is screwing over its vets. Guess I am just a wee bit cynical of government agencies. I have never really done national parks gig but might just apply, doing the same thing with disability retirement orders just to see what they do. As a last resort, I could get a copy of the additional VA disability classification. I just try to avoid the VA as much as possible.

Heck, I would qualify either way..... disability or senior citizen.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Pass will also get you 50% off at most BLM and Forest Service campgrounds. Never used it at NPS campgrounds, but I Would think you would also get a discount there also.
bluefxstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

I've had this pass for a few years now. Picked it up when we were at one of the national parks in Kentucky. I always carry a copy of my dd215 and VA letter of disability. We use it a lot to camp in COE campgrounds and enter national parks.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led