Old 10-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Would be nice to see some financial benefits offered, but ..... it never hurts to ask any establishment where you are spending your hard earned dollars!

Some of you may not be aware that here in Texas, the Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife offers a Veterans Pass to all 100% disabled vets - they will never have to pay an entrance fee. Also, one person who is designated as their aide is not supposed to be charged an entrance fee. (We have been charged at times and not charged other times for me as his aide - seems to depend on the person at the gate.) Another but - there's no discount on camping fees.

For some clarification, there are some stores, such as Lowe's and Home Depot, that offer a discount; Golden Corral restaurants across the country give the vets a free dinner for veterans day.

For those of you who are disabled vets like my husband, his vehicle plates here in Texas are $3/year - however, I believe the disability status has to be 100%. Also, that discount only applies to one vehicle.

Having bought a new truck in 2013, we found out that, because of his disability, the sales tax was refundable. Our dealer was the source for this information, and helped us get the paperwork to submit.

Recommend checking into your state's requirement and benefits, as well as with any vehicle dealer you are purchasing from.

Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Interesting - I'm not aware that Texas has such a program. Do you have to produce a DD 214?
In NYS we take our 214 to the DMV and they verify it and issue a new license with Veteran on it. Do any of the other states give discounts at state parks?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #13

Tennessee has the veteran on their license. Have a friend that has it on his Louisiana license as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #14

Golden National Parks Pass has 50 per cent off camping at COE campgrounds. Typical cost is $15 a night after discount.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
In NYS we take our 214 to the DMV and they verify it and issue a new license with Veteran on it. Do any of the other states give discounts at state parks?
Virginia, the State parks will only give you a free entry to the park if you have handicap plates. No discounts for camping that I know of. In Virginia the State parks are at least twice the amount of COE CG.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Washington state has free state park for 30% or greater disabled vets. There isn't a DL option that I know of, but there is a "US. Veteran" banner you can put on your plate with 2 service awards. Most available are combat type awards similar to VFW qualifiers. There is an American flag sticker for those without two qualifying awards. You need a copy of your DD-214. Display those colors proudly if you earned them!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #17

Quote:
OK, but I just wonder what some of the benefits are ( discounts,admission prices,etc) from having "Veteran " on your DL. I know the benefits will vary from state to state,but I don't recall ever seeing a veteran discount sign in any business around here.

In addition, I see in Texas that if you just want "Vetetan" on an unexpired DL,you have to pay the same fee as for renewing your DL.
I have never seen anyone post signs however, being retired military I get usually 10% discount at many stores and restaurants. Just show the I.D. and ask if they offer discounts. Wife loves it when she gets discounts when clothes shopping. Google military discounts for a list of most stores that offer it, and when shopping always ask. You may be surprised to find out you qualify for 10% off. It all adds up over time. Many private campgrounds also offer 10% discount but cannot be combined with Sams club discount.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
I have never seen anyone post signs however, being retired military I get usually 10% discount at many stores and restaurants. Just show the I.D. and ask if they offer discounts. Wife loves it when she gets discounts when clothes shopping. Google military discounts for a list of most stores that offer it, and when shopping always ask. You may be surprised to find out you qualify for 10% off. It all adds up over time. Many private campgrounds also offer 10% discount but cannot be combined with Sams club discount.
OK if you are retired from the military,but in my case,I only served 4 years active and another couple years in the reserve as an Air Reserve Techanican,so I'm a veteran and not a retiree.

But anyone who served and retired from the U.S. Military has my respect and deserve all the benefits they're entitled to.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #19

I thank all our Veterans for their service, retired or not. I suspect if you have veteran on your drivers license many will offer you the same. I would start by trying Lowes or Home-Depot stores. Ask and you may receive.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #20

Quote:
OK, but I just wonder what some of the benefits are ( discounts,admission prices,etc) from having "Veteran " on your DL. I know the benefits will vary from state to state,but I don't recall ever seeing a veteran discount sign in any business around here.

In addition, I see in Texas that if you just want "Vetetan" on an unexpired DL,you have to pay the same fee as for renewing your DL.
Most give discounts to active duty, fewer to retired military, and even fewer to undesignated vets. However, many offer discounts or free meals on Veteran's Day, which is less than a month away. This list is for 2013, but I would expect it to be pretty similar for this year: Veterans Day: Discounts and Freebies | Military.com

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote