Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

Veteran Status

After being retired from the Army for 14 years I went and had my NYS drivers license stamped Veteran. You show that to different businesses and you get a nice discount. Its amazing that all these NYS Politicians who pushed the businesses to give out discounts to us vets and it is greatly appreciated. But what irks me is that the NYS Parks department wont give us a discount. Go figure. Not even 10% off admission or camping. Oh well, cheers!!
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

PA now has "VETERAN" on their DLs as well.

Remember that when it comes time to renew.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

NC has added it too!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
B47

Interesting - I'm not aware that Texas has such a program. Do you have to produce a DD 214?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

B47 and all FROG members and readers who are vets - Here's the link for information by state as to availability of Veteran being placed on your driver's license:

Veterans ID on Driver’s License or ID Cards by State | Military Benefits

The list also includes what proof you need to bring with you.

Thanks to all who served!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaKaren View Post
B47 and all FROG members and readers who are vets - Here's the link for information by state as to availability of Veteran being placed on your driver's license:

Veterans ID on Driver’s License or ID Cards by State | Military Benefits

The list also includes what proof you need to bring with you.

Thanks to all who served!
Thanks for the link -
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #7

X2 Thanks much for the link!!!! Will have that done when I renew. Jon
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Yea this is an awesome thing the states area doing.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FandRChambers View Post
Yea this is an awesome thing the states area doing.
OK, but I just wonder what some of the benefits are ( discounts,admission prices,etc) from having "Veteran " on your DL. I know the benefits will vary from state to state,but I don't recall ever seeing a veteran discount sign in any business around here.

In addition, I see in Texas that if you just want "Vetetan" on an unexpired DL,you have to pay the same fee as for renewing your DL.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

Yes it allows you to use it as proof for those of us who have been out a while for discounts etc. In Va, they issue a Veteran ID card, and yes you have to pay for it but it was worth it to me. I also look at it as Vets are now being recognized more for their service. With all the wars etc. people are appreciating their military. Awesome gesture
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Would be nice to see some financial benefits offered, but ..... it never hurts to ask any establishment where you are spending your hard earned dollars!

Some of you may not be aware that here in Texas, the Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife offers a Veterans Pass to all 100% disabled vets - they will never have to pay an entrance fee. Also, one person who is designated as their aide is not supposed to be charged an entrance fee. (We have been charged at times and not charged other times for me as his aide - seems to depend on the person at the gate.) Another but - there's no discount on camping fees.

For some clarification, there are some stores, such as Lowe's and Home Depot, that offer a discount; Golden Corral restaurants across the country give the vets a free dinner for veterans day.

For those of you who are disabled vets like my husband, his vehicle plates here in Texas are $3/year - however, I believe the disability status has to be 100%. Also, that discount only applies to one vehicle.

Having bought a new truck in 2013, we found out that, because of his disability, the sales tax was refundable. Our dealer was the source for this information, and helped us get the paperwork to submit.

Recommend checking into your state's requirement and benefits, as well as with any vehicle dealer you are purchasing from.
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Interesting - I'm not aware that Texas has such a program. Do you have to produce a DD 214?
In NYS we take our 214 to the DMV and they verify it and issue a new license with Veteran on it. Do any of the other states give discounts at state parks?
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #13

Tennessee has the veteran on their license. Have a friend that has it on his Louisiana license as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

Golden National Parks Pass has 50 per cent off camping at COE campgrounds. Typical cost is $15 a night after discount.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
In NYS we take our 214 to the DMV and they verify it and issue a new license with Veteran on it. Do any of the other states give discounts at state parks?
Virginia, the State parks will only give you a free entry to the park if you have handicap plates. No discounts for camping that I know of. In Virginia the State parks are at least twice the amount of COE CG.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #16

Washington state has free state park for 30% or greater disabled vets. There isn't a DL option that I know of, but there is a "US. Veteran" banner you can put on your plate with 2 service awards. Most available are combat type awards similar to VFW qualifiers. There is an American flag sticker for those without two qualifying awards. You need a copy of your DD-214. Display those colors proudly if you earned them!

Jeff
Jeff BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
OK, but I just wonder what some of the benefits are ( discounts,admission prices,etc) from having "Veteran " on your DL. I know the benefits will vary from state to state,but I don't recall ever seeing a veteran discount sign in any business around here.

In addition, I see in Texas that if you just want "Vetetan" on an unexpired DL,you have to pay the same fee as for renewing your DL.
I have never seen anyone post signs however, being retired military I get usually 10% discount at many stores and restaurants. Just show the I.D. and ask if they offer discounts. Wife loves it when she gets discounts when clothes shopping. Google military discounts for a list of most stores that offer it, and when shopping always ask. You may be surprised to find out you qualify for 10% off. It all adds up over time. Many private campgrounds also offer 10% discount but cannot be combined with Sams club discount.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
I have never seen anyone post signs however, being retired military I get usually 10% discount at many stores and restaurants. Just show the I.D. and ask if they offer discounts. Wife loves it when she gets discounts when clothes shopping. Google military discounts for a list of most stores that offer it, and when shopping always ask. You may be surprised to find out you qualify for 10% off. It all adds up over time. Many private campgrounds also offer 10% discount but cannot be combined with Sams club discount.
OK if you are retired from the military,but in my case,I only served 4 years active and another couple years in the reserve as an Air Reserve Techanican,so I'm a veteran and not a retiree.

But anyone who served and retired from the U.S. Military has my respect and deserve all the benefits they're entitled to.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #19

I thank all our Veterans for their service, retired or not. I suspect if you have veteran on your drivers license many will offer you the same. I would start by trying Lowes or Home-Depot stores. Ask and you may receive.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #20

Quote:

Most give discounts to active duty, fewer to retired military, and even fewer to undesignated vets. However, many offer discounts or free meals on Veteran's Day, which is less than a month away. This list is for 2013, but I would expect it to be pretty similar for this year: Veterans Day: Discounts and Freebies | Military.com

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote