Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i'm trying to place pelican roost...is there a fire training facility across the street from it?
i also find it interesting the oiler has a civilian crew now (stack markings).
Fire Training is just down the street towards the ocean. The best of all of the Famcamps that we have used.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i'm trying to place pelican roost...is there a fire training facility across the street from it?
i also find it interesting the oiler has a civilian crew now (stack markings).
The fire training facility is to the right of the roost sign. I first trained there in mid 70's.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'll let you know in about 10 days. I'll take pictures.
Maby we will see you there. We arrive 1/17/13.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My dear lord! Be quiet! I have been trying to keep that place a secret.
Always a stop on the way south.
You are soooooo right. Have use several in Fl. that are great but this one is close by. Maybe see you there some time.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #45

If you go to mayport be aware that on base road construction could cause traffic backups till end of march.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
If you go to mayport be aware that on base road construction could cause traffic backups till end of march.
do they open the entrance from Neptune beach (or Atlantic beach...don't remember which was the last one before the base). u would come steight in that way and not have to go "down town". believe that route passes by the EM club...
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc701
It depends on the Military facility. Some campgrounds allow retired Department of Defense (DOD), Department of the Army (DAC) to stay. It mostly depends on the size of the facility. I am a retired DAC and stay at Military campgrounds regulary.
All do because most are veterans also. I'm getting ready to retire as a Army DAC with 33 yrs. Getting ready for the RV world for a while.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #48
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief View Post
All do because most are veterans also. I'm getting ready to retire as a Army DAC with 33 yrs. Getting ready for the RV world for a while.
Just to be clear. Use of "most" FAMCAMP facilities requires base access. While non-retired combat veterans enjoy many benefits after they leave the service, base and MWR access is not usually among of them.

Military Retirees on the other hand are treated as if they are still "on duty" (veterans or not - though most are by the time they get 20 years) since they are transferred to the "retired reserves" and as such are eligible for recall to active service in time of emergency (unlike separated servicemen and women who are not retirees). Retirees get an ID card that grants base access as well as full services (like commissary, BX, and MWR).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

Just to be clear. Use of "most" FAMCAMP facilities requires base access. While non-retired combat veterans enjoy many benefits after they leave the service, base and MWR access is not usually among of them.

Military Retirees on the other hand are treated as if they are still "on duty" (veterans or not - though most are by the time they get 20 years) since they are transferred to the "retired reserves" and as such are eligible for recall to active service in time of emergency (unlike separated servicemen and women who are not retirees). Retirees get an ID card that grants base access as well as full services (like commissary, BX, and MWR).
True retired Civilians also receive a retired Service ID card to allow these uses as well. I didn't know that until I spoke with an AG office worker a few yrs back when I said I was retiring and they said well I will see you when you retire for your Retired ID. I didn't know that and she explained all that to me.
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote