Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 AM   #21

Thanks very much for a very informative email. And thank you very much for your many years of service for our veterans!!!!!
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #22

no VA health care

I put 22.5 years in a combination of the USN and USAF. The Va won't even talk to me about health care. They say I have too much income!
On my own I think they would take me, but my wife is retired civil service. WE are both drawing retirements from the government plus Social Security. ergo too much income.
Does anyone else have these retirement incomes and still get service from the VA?
Terry Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Luther View Post
I put 22.5 years in a combination of the USN and USAF. The Va won't even talk to me about health care. They say I have too much income!
On my own I think they would take me, but my wife is retired civil service. WE are both drawing retirements from the government plus Social Security. ergo too much income.
Does anyone else have these retirement incomes and still get service from the VA?
How long since you have talked to them? I think a year or 2 ago they did away with the income requirements. So you might want to go see them again. I'm a retired 05 and I get all of my care at the VA in Portland
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #24

VA Health Care is a contradiction in terms.
Steve_Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #25

What JimFitz said. Plus why not use TRICARE and Medicare plus the Gov employee health insurance?
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #26

Quote:

I do constituent work dealing with VA for a congressman. VA still uses the Priority Codes system to classify veterans for eligibility for VA healthcare. You likely fall under priority code 8 e or g. See link: https://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/re...ity_groups.asp
Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #27

Quote:

What you can do is go to the VA and apply for disability, apply for ringing in your ears. It’s only 10% but it will get you in the door at the VA. I’m retired army and social security plus I’m one day older than 65. I don’t use the VA, I could , I’m 100% disabled. That’s what I was told when I first applied that I made to much money.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Elliott View Post
VA Health Care is a contradiction in terms.
I generally have felt that way to, but time has caused me to realize that even in that web of bureaucracy there are some folks inside the system that actually do care and try the best they can.

I have pretty much avoided the VA since the 70's. That era left too many scars both in service and out of service to want to play around with the VA system. I was given a medical retirement from the Army, but I even avoided using the old Champus and then Tricare up till the time that Obummercare mandate took hold and drove my insurance premiums into the stratosphere. So now doing the Tricare thing, but will switch over to Medicare and Tricare for Life soon.

Kind of off topic a little, but a movie called "Article 99" hits the VA pretty hard. They do take some liberties in the film, but they hit more than they miss. It has come as close as anything to what I remember of the VA from my younger days. I have no idea if it comes close to the VA of today.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #29

I've had excellent are from the VA for more than 40 years.

Great care in California, now in Arkansas. I have a 60% service connected disability and they have been great.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #30

Here is my story ~~ Discharged in 1968. At the VA I had a great doctor but the system sucked. Dr said if he would admit me the rating would go from 10% to over 50% where it should be. I ran.
In 2002 I got a letter for a physical and assigned a primary. By 2003 up to 40% and stopped using outside doctors. Retired federal and kept the healthcare so now have Medicare part A and that along with the VA. Between the clinic and Cleveland hospital I was very pleased. Now use a clinic in NC and could not be happier.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote