Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Where do you get VA health care?

Just started solo full timing. I'm changing my 'residence' to South Dakota. My question for you Vets....where do you get health care when you don't really have a 'home'' VA. I could go to SD, but won't be spending much time there. I don't really have a travel plan.....just to do a little wandering where it is warm, maybe some camp hosting, a lot of relaxing...and want to learn to play the banjo. What do you all do for your health care. (Fortunately, I'm relatively healthy, but I'm not getting any younger either.)

Thanks.

Fitz
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

First stop should be to your VA rep. There are different plans for health care. (standard or Prime?). Tri-Care states if its an emergency then any ER will do. Also I understand there are now three regional Tri-care plans available. Some plans will not allow you to cross into another region. We take careful planning prior to going south for the winter (both dental and medical).
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #3

I have South Dakota as a residence and I have used Prescott, AZ as my VA for the last 3 years. Currently I transferred to the Reno, NV facility. No problems.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Go to your VA Rep and tell them you will be traveling and ask abiut using diffeeent facilities. I haven't had any problems with the VA as far as getting treatment. As for Tricare Silver we haven't had any issues there either while traveling.
Do talk to your Rep at the VA though.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

I don't have a VA rep. Who would I talk to?
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

Try at the front desk customer service. I just had it added to my medical records and notes one time.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
Dahagen

First, try an American Legion rep for info. Second....I too travel. If you have someplace you will be once a year, check out the VA there for a primary care doctor. You need one for prescriptions and the annual check-up you need to have so you can keep your VA eligibility. But if you need emergency med refills, emergency room care, or any other help just go to any VA facility and ask at the desk how to get your records temporarilly transfered over to them. I use the Boise VA for primary doctor. But I have used Phoenix, Gilbert Az, San Antonio, and Tucson at times.
dahagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

VA benefits - sites for generally helpful info

Though not concerning current coverage, check these sites concerning special VA benefits, some of which I have found many vets are not aware exist or how to apply:
http://www.dav.org/caregiver/veteran...ervice-program

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/expos...ions/index.asp
(children of vets with AO exposure disabilities)

www.cem.va.gov/pre-need
zj178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

So VA healthcare and TRICARE are two completely different beasts.

TRICARE for retirees is age dependent.

Retirement to age 65: choices are STANDARD (pays like Medicare - 80% and you can see anyone who takes Medicare) and PRIME (treatment at a MTF or doctors who take Prime - like an HMO).

AFTER age 65: Medicare Part A and B Primary - TRICARE for Life Secondary. (You can see anyone who takes Medicare)

VA Healthcare requires a service connected disability (care is free) and fees are based on your income for non-service connected medical care. Eligibility is not age related.

The OP was asking about the VA; not TRICARE.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

I travel also and needed dental work while at Gulfport. All I did was going to the eligibility office and use my campground address as a temporary address. This allows electronic access to your medical records.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
Try at the front desk customer service. I just had it added to my medical records and notes one time.
If the front desk does not help, ask for the Patient Advocate. My local VA clinic has an on site rep. employed by the state/.county.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #13

Lots of misinformation here.
Try this
Myhealthvet.com
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #14

Regioal registration

I travel to numerous areas and have found that things are expedited if you register in areas that you will visit often or stay in for a while. I have registered in California, Colorado, Texas, and Hawaii and it makes it easier and quicker to make appointments and get presciptions refilled. I also use MyHealthevet. Of course, emergencies ca be served just about anywhere!
spadpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadpilot View Post
I travel to numerous areas and have found that things are expedited if you register in areas that you will visit often or stay in for a while. I have registered in California, Colorado, Texas, and Hawaii and it makes it easier and quicker to make appointments and get presciptions refilled. I also use MyHealthevet. Of course, emergencies ca be served just about anywhere!
This is the best response you've received. I'm a travelling vet, and have been spending around half of each year travelling around the US. I'm over 65 and am on full medicare but still use the VA because it provides continuity of service throughout the country.

VA medical care is best served by having a home base which is your primary care facility. This could be a major VA facility (my case) or even a VA remote clinic facility. When you travel, you should be "registered" with the local (regional) VA, even when their main facility isn't where you will be seen. For example, I've used the Silver CIty, NM outpatient clinic after registering with their parent facility in Albuquerque, NM. I'm also registered with regional VA facilities in Arizona and California because I tend to spend significant amounts of time in both states.

The current procedure for planned care is for you to contact the "travelling vet coordinator" at your home facility and tell them what scheduled medical care you will need to get at another facility. The coordinator contacts the coordinator at the facility you will be going to (and are registered at) and transfers the medical orders to them. If all works as it's supposed to, when you go the alternate location, they'll be ready for you when you arrive. I've found that it's also best to call a (smaller) VA clinic a day or two before heading there to verify that all of the arrangements have been made. I discovered this when I arrived at a clinic and discovered that their main facility never transmitted the medical orders to them. In my case, I also need to bring special mailers with me because the small clinics (and possibly larger centers) don't have these mailers available.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
Mountain Lovers

We have Medicare and Tricare for life...We can get medical care most anywhere but the drugs that we need are the problem. It is hard if you are not in one place and there is not a military pharmacy around. Home delivery is ok if you are in one spot to receive it.
Fordcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #17

I am registered in indiana crown point, Dallas, Sherman tx, Phonex az, and any place we travel to. Just look up the main office in the area you are staying. I get my meds out of Chicago sent to mail forwarding.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

I have Medicare and Tricare for life. I'm 100% VA but since I have the above I don't go to VA hospitals. Nothing against them but since I am covered I let the VA hospitals take care of the less fortunate than I am.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #19

X2 spock123
Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #20
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I see this is an older post but anyway. RN at VA for 37 years! Fixing to retire. Thank you everyone for your service.

If you are registered at one VA facility, it only takes a few minutes to sign up at any of them. During business hours you go to registration desk. Otherwise ask for AOD. Administrative officer of the day.

The thing about registration it allows us to see your medical record. Even if you were at that VA in 1997, you shouldn’t have to register again.

Even if you aren’t registered, you can always be seen at the ER and they will figure it out later.

I can’t say I have ever seen that “ask your Primary Care clinic to get you registered at another VA, tell them I’m coming” ever work but maybe it does.

If you are traveling, you should be able to go straight to the pharmacy, after you get registered, and ask for Traveling Supply or 10 days of medication or supplies but it can’t be a controlled medication like pain meds or an expired Rx. And a clinical pharmacist has to be on duty. If they send you to ER for the Rx just gird your loins and try to control your temper. You may be seen in a few minutes or a few hours. I know it can be awful.

I don’t know why 10 days. It’s terribly annoying. I work in a port city. Seattle. Everyone comes there to cruise to Alaska. Ok, you forgot your BP meds or your insulin. God forbid it’s pain medication. Maybe you need 14 days of medication because you’re flying in and out to Orlando or Freeport. Or you want to stay in town after the cruise.

And maybe it’s insanely busy or maybe we are all bored to death and can’t wait to see you.

Otherwise, stay in touch with your original Primary Care and they can mail your routine meds anywhere. Always allow plenty of time. Use the my healthEVet online site.

Also, vets need to find out what they are eligible for. Some can be seen at any facility and have all dental covered and some have almost no eligibility. Always better to find out during non emergent situations.

Please don’t yell at people sitting behind some desk, if you can help yourself. Please write your senators and the Congress. Please keep them informed. They talk only to each other otherwise and think everything’s cool. It’s not and there is always room for improvement.

Pt advocates are mostly there to pat your hand and say “I feel your pain.” That’s about the extent of it. Sorry. *Call your elected officials* if you feel action is needed.

Again, thank you for your service.