Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Cycle Rate Hike in Saskatchewan

Here is the rate hike that is being implemented in Saskatchewan, Canada. Makes it so you can't drive a bike any more, too much $
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rate Hikes.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24913  
Drakconian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
outdoor addict

Those prices are nuts. In Alberta with private insurance I pay less than $900 all in for a Honda ST1300 (2007)

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #3

Interesting to compare. I've always been curious whether BC's provincial insurer, ICBC, like Sask., is hosing us. On a comparable bike, a '08 Yamaha FJR1300, for 2012 it was $538 for 6 months of 'basic coverage' and $200K of liability with ICBC. That was topped up with private coverage of $3M liability, gear and comprehensive coverage for 12 months coverage - can't do less and it covers it during storage time - for another $595. So for $1,133 all in I guess it's not too bad. I had thought we'd pay a lot more here than Alberta given the difference on things like wine, liquor, beer and provincial sales tax on just about everything else (HST is soon dead and we're back to PST & HST in April).
ExTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

This is what happens when the controlling body, whether a government plan OR to some lesser extent corporate, decide to gouge a small sized (read specialized) group.
I've heard horror story pricing as well from Manitoba.

I look at what I pay in Alberta, think I'm getting a good deal, THEN find out what insurance costs in many U.S. states for MC coverage, and realize I too am getting screwed, just not as badly.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Those are at this time proposed rates. There is a huge rally against this increase at this time. I was discussing this with an avid biker at work a week or so ago and it's not approved by a long shot yet.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

Oh my goodness the whole provincial vs private insurance issue could be a forum on its own! My take on it after we moved from Ontario to BC was that ICBC spread the risk more evenly across all types of drivers as opposed to by specific risk groups. When we moved to BC, our car insurance went up considerably for the same vehicle and coverage while my then teenage son paid a fraction of what he would have had to (it was so expensive he didn't drive) in Ontario. I think like Ridenfun points out anywhere in Canada is likely more expensive than the States. I'm not an expert on insurance, statistics, probability or anything like that but as with many things in that much larger market, size does make a difference. Bigger risk pool, lower cost?

Good to hear there's kick-back going on in Saskatchewan.
ExTenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #7

ExTenter, that was part of my point; we (meaning all MC riders everywhere) need to KICK HARD when this occurs.
Further to the story on your son, I know a 40-ish woman who couldn't afford MC insurance in Ont, prior to moving to Alberta.
Seems illogical to me, that in this era of trying to maximize enviromental issues such as efficiency, we let policies, governement driven or otherwise, preclude use of a more environmental choice, which the MC, scooter, etc is.
I currently off load a bunch of local KM from my truck to my KLR, reducing my truck to about 3000KM per year now, mostly winter time. At ridiculous insurance prices, I'd change that back up towards 13-15000 KM in my vehicle.