Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

Dilemma - Two Scoots and a Fiver

We have my 2014 Honda Forza (300 cc, 424 lbs) and my wife's 2013 Honda PCX150 (150 cc, 287 lbs), which we would like to transport from Washington State to Arizona next year. We went out RV shopping last week looking for a transport solution, but hitch mount trailers, which would allow us to put the scoots in the bed of the truck, did not float our boat for a variety of reasons, and the toy hauler fivers that had sufficient living space were just outrageously expensive.

We unexpectedly bought a (barely) used 2013 Columbus 295RL, replacing our 2011 Fox Mountain 265RLS fiver. We did not pick it as much as it picked us. Four feet longer and three slides instead of one, much better amenities and higher quality, and a screaming deal, we think we got the RV for the rest of our lives. But its still leaves us with the transport problem.

We are going back to Arizona next year for three months, and really want to have the scoots to explore the blue roads between Phoenix and Tucson. The Columbus has a fold down carrier that could possibly hold the PCX150 (have not had a chance to check the weight limit on it yet), but no way can we take the Forze with this set up.

I am thinking a commerical transport company is the only way the Forza is going to get to Arizona...anybody have any experience with transport companies, or a recommendation for a good company? Or some great idea about how to get the Forza to Arizona that we have not even thought about yet?

Thanks!
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax Allison
Pat Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

I don''t see any choice other than a transport company unless you can hook up a swivel wheel to the fiver to do the job.
Note the different models:
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

note also the legalities vary from state to state and there is a section on the site
Swivelwheel Frequently Asked Questions near the bottom of this page on triple towing that you may want to consider.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Always Learning

Have a custom made rooftop rack made for the truck! I've envisioned a wackadoodle idea for a golf cart for a while now (I've even seen some pictures floating around of others who have done it). Getting them up there is the hard part- a golf cart can be winched up; not sure how you'd do that with a pair of motorcycles.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #4

Rooftop idea is not totally out of the question but then how DO you load and unload them? I am kind of liking the Swivelwheel - the big IF is if it is legal in Washington, Oregon and California. I don't think anybody at the State Patrol or DMV is going to stick their necks out to say it is not a "trailer." On the other hand, the company says nobody has ever been ticked for having a Swivelwheel on their RV.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Why not crate it and UPS or FedEx it to an address?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

I have the same problem, wanting to tow a large Kawasaki ATV with us.

Personally, I hate attaching any kind of trailer, basket rack or bicycle rack to a receiver hitch mounted to a 5'er. You'll get all sorts of testimonials about how people have hauled successfully for years, but the failure rate can be high. You also have to be concerned with overall length laws and laws forbidding articulating more than once. Pulling a small trailer behind a 5'er takes away your ability to back up, even a small distance. When the receiver or bumper hitch fails many times you don't notice and your cargo is left in the middle of the roadway for someone to hit.

The overhead rack seems like a better solution, but realize you have greatly increased your overhead height. The cargo on the rack should be no higher than the highest point on the trailer. Watch for bridges and overhead canopies. And there's always the issue of loading and unloading.

I have resigned myself to thinking that we must use a second vehicle to pull the ATV. More gas and my wife is in a separate vehicle. communicating with a Motorola walky talky. Not so good...

If you're going to a destination that you will be staying at for a while shipping the scooters makes a lot of sense.
Baxters Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Anacortesians

Pat:

A swivel-wheel bolted on "trailer" is probably about your only option other than driving two vehicles. A friend of ours used to have one. The attachments to the bumper are usually hinged, free to move vertically for some distance, so no significant bending moment goes into the back of the vehicle it's attached to, other than its tongue weight. The swivel wheel had 360 degrees free movement, so backing up wasn't an issue.

I'm not familiar with the models of scooter you have, but if you could put them on the platform sideways, it could be a fairly short trailer, minimising the extra length of the combination. I'm not sure if 700 pounds payload would be too much for one of those swivel wheel devices,
Old 04-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

After looking around and talking to people, either two vehicles, probably preferred, or shipping them, too expensive, are our only options. The swivel wheel option won't work with the rear fold down rack we have on the Columbus and even if it did, I am not convinced of the legalities of it in Washington, Oregon and California.

Thanks all!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Anderson View Post
After looking around and talking to people, either two vehicles, probably preferred, or shipping them, too expensive, are our only options. The swivel wheel option won't work with the rear fold down rack we have on the Columbus and even if it did, I am not convinced of the legalities of it in Washington, Oregon and California.

Thanks all!
This is why I suggested shipping, OR. has been known to get a bit uppity about dual trailers including swivel wheel attachment's.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
This is why I suggested shipping, OR. has been known to get a bit uppity about dual trailers including swivel wheel attachment's.
Shipping would be cost prohibitive and totally unrealistic unless you were going to one specific location and staying there for a long stay, like 2 months or more.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #11

Settle on taking one of them and if it won't fit forward of the 5th wheel hitch (left side to right side) put it on a custom made rack on the front of the truck. Or you could reinforce the bumper on the back of the 5th wheel and put the rack there (my solution w/ a small scooter, Yamaha Vino, 163 lbs, the steel rack, 50lbs).
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shipping would be cost prohibitive and totally unrealistic unless you were going to one specific location and staying there for a long stay, like 2 months or more.
And this compared to driving two rigs to get the gob done each way.

I agree on one thing, cost is gonna bite no matter the method used.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
And this compared to driving two rigs to get the gob done each way.

I agree on one thing, cost is gonna bite no matter the method used.
A carrier of some sort is a one time cost.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
An option I haven't heard yet is to carry one scooter on the trailers rear rack, and install a front hitch rack on front of truck. Don't have any idea if these front truck racks carry enough weight though.

Edit...Marty types faster than I!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3040334.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	73146  
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
A carrier of some sort is a one time cost.

If OP has a second rig capable of towing or hauling one or both scoots then we have fuel for a second rig, plus the insurance, and sundry other costs.

Bigger picture.

Leave one scoot at home.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... Bigger picture. Leave one scoot at home.
Defeats OP's desire to take both! I would suggest carriers. One time cost and finished.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #17

don't think you can use them in WA or OR kinda sucks I think. I have pulled triples for years.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
An option I haven't heard yet is to carry one scooter on the trailers rear rack, and install a front hitch rack on front of truck. Don't have any idea if these front truck racks carry enough weight though.

Edit...Marty types faster than I!
That's a much better solution than a triple. One on the front of the truck and one on the back of the 5th wheel. Just ensure you reinforce the bumper on the back of the 5th wheel.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Yes...as an Oregonian with a 5th wheel that does not have a garage and a few "toys" I like to bring along...I really wish Oregon allowed double trailers. I see them passing through once in a while...makes me want to try it anyway and play dumb. Now old enough to know better than to try it though.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySantic View Post
That's a much better solution than a triple. One on the front of the truck and one on the back of the 5th wheel. Just ensure you reinforce the bumper on the back of the 5th wheel.
Some people here have suggested the possibility of overheating from having a tire or in this case a scoot blocking air to the radiator.

If you look at the IMG posed above the engine and transmission block a large part of the intake area.