Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

dirt bike on Palomino rack

I have a street legal KLX 400 I would like to haul on a Sabre drop down rack. The rack is rated at 450lbs capacity and the bike weighs a little over 200. Was wondering if anyone has carried a bike and if so how was it secured.
rpresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good question ..... I'm sure no one has put it close to rated capacity yet.
I've only hauled coolers full of beer and no beer has been harmed in this stunt ..."yet"

I believe if your hot rod kawi is close or less than rated capacity and is tied down very well to eliminate bounce you may be ok.
But be for warned that it may not be a good plan.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
H2oski

If I was going to haul a motorcycle on mine l think I would put a plate on the frame of the rack. I would also install a front wheel chock. I haul 2 bicycles on mine and haven't lost them yet. HAHA. Search the forum, I''ve seen a couple of post about putting small motorcycle on the bike rack.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

If its like the Columbus rack, I don't think it would be any problem as long as you get it as close to the bumper as possible so its not hanging way out and have more weight bouncing. Tie down with ratchet straps and all should be good.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
If I was going to haul a motorcycle on mine l think I would put a plate on the frame of the rack. I would also install a front wheel chock. I haul 2 bicycles on mine and haven't lost them yet. HAHA. Search the forum, I''ve seen a couple of post about putting small motorcycle on the bike rack.
You read my mind. I have wheel chocks and a tray suitable for tire width picked out. Planning on welding tie down loops to the rack as well. Also considering an upright bar that would loop over the seat. I may look into a way to secure the rack to to the bumper so it can't bounce from the pivot points.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
If its like the Columbus rack, I don't think it would be any problem as long as you get it as close to the bumper as possible so its not hanging way out and have more weight bouncing. Tie down with ratchet straps and all should be good.
I was hoping it could ride directly over the bumper but due to handle bar clearance from the back of the trailer as well as clearance for the ladder it will have to sit six inches past the bumper. Hopefully it will be close enough to avoid a cantilever affect.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How hard is it to loosen the bars and turn them 90 degrees?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How hard is it to loosen the bars and turn them 90 degrees?
Not something I want to contend with. Unlike a bicycle there are electronics, hydraulics, cables and wiring to deal with. Even so the bars would probably hit the gas tank before reaching 90 deg. Thanks for the thought though.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just thinking outloud.
I'm sure you'll find a solution .

Turbs
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just thinking outloud.
I'm sure you'll find a solution .

Turbs
All ideas appreciated, thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

I have the same motorcycle in Yellow (Suzuki DRZ-400S) exact same bike just different color plastic. It weighs a lot more than 200lbs, dry weight is listed @ 291lbs with oil & gas ready to ride is over 300lbs. I definitely would not recommend loading this bike on a rack rated for 450lbs.
jt0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #12

The KLX 400 is the same as the DRZ 400e not the DRZ 400s (street version) There is a difference in weight but not signifcant. Based on factory specs my bike weight dry is 262lbs. Add 2.6 gal of fuel at approx 6lbs/gal =16lbs and another 3.7lbs for 2qts of oil the wet weight comes to 282lbs. Even if we assume the bike weighed 300lbs that would only be 67% of the rated capacity of the rack. I have mounted the bike and took it for a 20mi practice run over some severely bumpy roads and numerous rr tracks. I had a spotter follow me the whole time, He said the bike rode solid as a rock. No movement whatsoever. I do have about 30lbs of mounting hardware which brings it closer to 70% but experienced no handling affects at all.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
H2oski

Thanks for posting an update. How about some pics?
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

Pics requested

The Bike rides as close as possible to the rear of the trailer. It is secured at both the handle bars and at the foot pegs. (common to trailer hitch carriers) The picture behind the bike shows where the ramp and winch mount are stored. The winch mount clamps on the left side of the bike and the hitch ball extends past the wheel chock. A small winch designed to mount to a teardrop plate for hooking to trailer hitch is placed over the ball. The winch has a remote control. The winch is hooked to the footpeg and pulls the bike up at a slow rate. I went with the mechanical advantage since I am in my 60's and no longer have the energy to muscle the bike up the incline.

Headed to Alabama next week. Will be spending a month in the Pell City area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24309   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24310   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	138