Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
Anacortesians

After a spell as a development/test engineer at Norton-Villiers in the UK, with about 40,000 miles of high speed tsting on the public highways, I quit and emigrated to the US to work for Boeing (1968). After I saw all the old ladies in their Cadillacs who had to look out below the steering wheel rim and probably couldn't see anything beyond the end of the hood, I decided motorcycles on the street were no longer part of my reportoire.

Haven't ridden on the street since. Miss it a little and would like to have a Norton Commando, but I don't think I could even kick one of those beasties into life any longer. Maybe a Honda CX500 might tempt me, but I doubt it.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

I can only speak about the State of Georgia on this, from personal experience. In Georgia the law is specific: ALL paved roads within ALL Georgia State Parks are public roads--PERIOD! State Parks within Georgia cannot forbid duly registered/licensed two wheel motorcycles nor three-wheels trikes. Georgia does have regulations as to the size of the motor and Brake Horsepower of these vehicles in order to classify them as legal transportation. In other words: There are certain "scooters/mopeds/motorbikes" which would not be legal. I have travel trailer and a motorcycle. I cannot figure out a way to pull the TT with the bike, nor a way to carry the bike on the TT. I would love to have one of those devices that load a bike into the back of my pickup. Retirement does have some drawbacks--less monies available for fun.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
.... I have travel trailer and a motorcycle. I cannot figure out a way to pull the TT with the bike, nor a way to carry the bike on the TT. I would love to have one of those devices that load a bike into the back of my pickup. Retirement does have some drawbacks--less monies available for fun.
I've done it two different ways. When we travelled fulltime, we purchased a 5th wheel that had a good enough chassis to allow 2 hitch receivers be added which carried a rack to hold my motorcycle.

We switched to a travel trailer to free up the truck bed, so then I could take 2 motorcycles. I got them in the truck using two 6' folding ramps. I just rode the dualsport bikes up the ramp (they have a high ground clearance). You can get 2 ramps for under $100 so it's not an expensive option, like those powerlifts for Goldwings that you see on the back of large motorhomes.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
... Haven't ridden on the street since. Miss it a little and would like to have a Norton Commando, but I don't think I could even kick one of those beasties into life any longer. Maybe a Honda CX500 might tempt me, but I doubt it.
I went through a similar process - grew up in England in the '50s and 60s and rode motorcycles a lot (Triumph T100, Greeves Scottish, AJS 7R, etc) but when I moved to Canada in '71 I soon found motorcycles were not practical transportation and quit riding.

I started again after retiring (early ) in '99 but I shifted away from street riding and took up off-road and dualsport riding. That way I avoid the hazard of other road users plus we get to see the best of the scenery by riding Jeep trails in CO, UT, AZ, etc.

BTW, I haven't kicked over a bike since '71 - these new-fangled push-buttons are great!

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
Anacortesians

Bob:

I agree on the "not on the street" philosophy. At 71, I'm getting too old to be riding motorcycles anywhere, so I have, with some reluctance, concluded that they are no longer an option.

BTW, I was born and raised in Leyland (Lancs) and did a student apprenticeship with what was then English Electric Aviation (now part of BAE) and worked on the Lightning and early TSR-2 programs. After I graduated college (Royal College of Advance Technology - Salford), I spent a couple of years in the machine tools industry in Coventry, then 18 months at Norton Villiers.

I emigrated to the US to join Boeing in mid-1968 and am now (after 30 years with the "kite factory") in retirement in a small coastal town in NW Washington called Anacortes. We're about 50 straight-line miles from the border with Canada and are actually north of the BC capital of Victoria.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Woohoo didn't know there was a motorcycle section here. We got the Aframe with toy deck just to haul our bikes. Here's a few of our bikes. We have others in another garage....we have a slight addiction
WOW, and I thought my four Victories was an addiction
Old 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #17

Our toy hauler is very new so I don't have any experience with taking our bikes camping yet. I've ridden to some state parks before with no problems. I did get kicked out of a small RV park once because they said I was going over 10mph. Truth is the guy that ran the place almost hit on his golf cart because he wasn't paying attention and he did not make a STOP when coming out of a small side street in the park. I saw his eyes get real big...I think I scared him. So he booted us out. No loss, the place was a dump.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a bike that I totaled last year (hit a deer on the way to Sturgis). Once that is done we plan to take the bikes camping. I also have a couple of dual sports and want to get my girl one too for camping. We have found a few parks that also have off road trails and kinda cater to riders. I've been noting parks that are bike friendly and plan to visit them soon!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

We carry our KLR 650 motorcycles in our TV. To get the motorcycles in/out we carry a set of folding ramps. Ideally we locate a spot where we can reduce the height from the ground to the tailgate. We're new at this and haven't towed the TT with the motorcycles at one time. The concern being the combined weight (motorcycles plus tongue weight). My plan is to remove the tailgate, or support on an angle when carrying the bikes; when open as shown in the picture it rests on the TT jack crank handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes in TV.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24238  

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
phat phrog stunt crew

i have forgotten where i saw them, but somebody has the metal tailgate supports /hinges like pickups used to have. maybe i saw them in an atv/jeep/diesel magazine. way more sturdy than the cheap wire cables they give us now.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

found it

Tailgate EX Support