Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Thanks dwaynerz, that's exactly what I need to support the tailgate in a partially open position; they offer a 10" model. The way they use the tailgate latching mechanism means that I don't even have to remove the stock cables. The longer ones that support the tailgate shouldn't be needed as the bikes are 400lbs each and the weight on the tailgate is only as I bring each up the ramp and into the truck bed; no weight on the tailgate when transporting.

Mike and Brenda

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Bass Player
No problems so far

My wife and i have travelled extensively with our toy hauler, mostly Canada and New England, have had no issues with the bike at all. Starting to see a lot of toy haulers in the campgrounds now, nice to be able to enjoy your 2 favourite things. My Harley is not really quiet but if you idle in and out of the campgrounds you are quieter than most of the diesel trucks.

Gary & Debbie
2007 Ford F250 King Ranch
2013 Work & Play 30WR
2008 Harley Heritage Classic
Sydney , NS, Canada
garychew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
We carry our KLR 650 motorcycles in our TV. To get the motorcycles in/out we carry a set of folding ramps. Ideally we locate a spot where we can reduce the height from the ground to the tailgate. We're new at this and haven't towed the TT with the motorcycles at one time. The concern being the combined weight (motorcycles plus tongue weight). My plan is to remove the tailgate, or support on an angle when carrying the bikes; when open as shown in the picture it rests on the TT jack crank handle.

You might also consider a anti-sway/weight distribution hitch which would not only extend your hitch out beyond your tail gate, but help with tongue weight.
Theres a Nap for that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
DS ADV Rider
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
....The concern being the combined weight (motorcycles plus tongue weight). My plan is to remove the tailgate, or support on an angle when carrying the bikes; when open as shown in the picture it rests on the TT jack crank handle.
My truck is a Sierra 2500 with the regular bed (6' 6") so when I have one bike in it I have it diagonally so I can leave the tailgate on (and have the tonneau cover on after unloading the bikes at the detination). When I take two bikes they are straight in and rest partly on the bed and the tailgate so I remove the tailgate. I thought about trying it in the partly open position but when I turn on full lock, the trailer would contact the tailgate so it's not practical.

Regards the weight of the bikes plus the tongue weight. With a weight distributing hitch, most of the tongue weight is transferred to the front wheels (that's why the truck stays close to level with the trailer attached) so the loading isn't as much as it first appears.

I find it makes no noticeable difference when towing with or without the bike(s). I take either my DR350 and the Dakar, or just the DR650 so the weights are similar to your KLR's (which I previuosly owned).

You can take your truck to the weigh scales before/after and with/without the bike(s) to see how much weight is on all sets of axles. I would suggest setting up the hitch and WD bars with the bikes loaded on the truck.

Lacrosse 301RLS Touring Edition
GMC Sierra SLT 2500 4X4
BMW F650GS Dakar
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote