Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

Motorcycle campground

We came across this place a few years back and have been going there ever sence, it's listed as Steel Steeds Campground in College town PA. It's on the river banks very cheap to camp there. They say all you need is your tooth brush and jammy's. They have tents, RV's, And cambins to rent or bring your own. They have camp fire every night and the fire pit is so big they go through a tree a night. Bob the owner gets up eaely the next morning and makes coffee for the camp ground. When we leave key west the end of May were heading there for Memorial Day Weekend. So come on by newbys always welcome.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

I like them places!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Trailer Trash

Before I bought my RV, I did a cross country tour on a motorcycle with cargo trailer in tow. I used Woodalls to find the nice RV parks that ALSO allow tent camping. I told campground owner what I was doing and surprisingly, most RV parks allow tent camping. The tent area is usually way in the back away from the office however.

Here is a pic from Bonneville salt flats, the entrance to the lake. Salt beds were closed as there was 3-6" of water on the lake when I got there. BIG rain storms the day before. Oh well, nothing like a parking lot party. Funny how everyone has alcohol on ice at the salt flats.

Shiny side up!

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #4

I see your riding the best bike out there

I know you had to be just lovin life riding that GW out in that area
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Trailer Trash

MN to SD (Sturgis & Black Hills), WY, UT, NV, CA (lake Tahoe area), OR, WA, ID, MT, ND, MN. 5,500 mile trip over 2 weeks and 3 weekends. Average 400 miles a day. 100 miles then gas up, 100 miles then gas up lunch sight see, 100 miles gas up, 100 miles to camp or hotel. A guy can ride forever this way till you have to go back to work or your credit card maxes out, or both.

My favorite road is Trinity Highway. Runs east/west in northern California. 200 miles of hilly curvy road and runs by the big redwood trees to dump out by ocean. That was a long fun trip.

Ever dream about a cross country camping vacation on a motorcycle? Get one of these! Timeout camper trailer! And yes they are made in Elkhart, IN
Time Out Campers
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

Hey man, I have a friend that lives in NH and uses hers when she and her hubby travel to Bear bones CG up in VT. He'll hook it up behind his Harley RK and they love it. I'm not sure I'd wanna drag a box behind my Hog all over the country. At the end of 400-500 miles a hotel seems real inviting.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #7

X2 on Steel Steeds! Myself, DW, and two other couples spent last weekend there. I hauled the Salem and my buddy hauled my and DW's bikes in his enclosed trailer. Nice place, pretty quiet (there was even a wedding there on Saturday,) and affordable--$40 for full hookup, $30 for water and electric. Can't wait to go back. Bob is definitely the Shiznit!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Anacortesians

Sounds interesting. When we first emigrated to the US in 1968, I decided that the risks of riding a bike among all the old folks in big Buicks who had a hard time seeing the end of the hood were too great and I haven't ridden since.

Before we emigrated I did almost two years as a development engineer with Norton-Villiers. Neat job - I got paid to ride Norton Commandos all over England trying to break things! I also did about 6 months on the AJS Stormer moto-cross bike program. We had a works team that did quite well.