Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
RTD

My "motorcycle" that will stay with my RV

Here's a picture of the mini bike I usually keep in my RV, it's light enough to load and unload by myself. This one is a 1970 Honda Z50, I rebuilt it a few years ago and it's been a pit bike and errand runner since then, it gets more attention than any other bike I've ever owed, I thought some of you might like to see a pic, it seems everyone had or knows someone who had one way back when.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	25959  
RTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Super nice...

Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

I remember those bikes. Always wanted one, but never found one in decent enough shape to restore. Instead I found another one that almost everybody remembers, although it's not near as stowable as yours:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tulsa 014.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	25964  
diverdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Team

I remember the Honda monkey.

My first hand-me-down bike was a Benelli minibike. It was a 60's something model. I remember when I was upgraded to a Honda XL-75. Mom still has pics of me in my Evil Knievel jumpsuit that I got for a Christmas present in the 70's. (Yes, I had the Evil Knievel toys to match)

To tell you how spoiled I have become, I can't imagine ever owning a bike again that I have to kickstart. LOL

Of course that may have to do with with some childhood trauma and my neighbors Indian 100 dirtbike. That thing was the hardest bike ever to kickstart and wore out all of us neighborhood kids legs, trying to get it cranked.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
RTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
I remember those bikes. Always wanted one, but never found one in decent enough shape to restore. Instead I found another one that almost everybody remembers, although it's not near as stowable as yours:
KZ 1000 right?

As far as Z50 condition is concerned, I don't feel condition is all that important for a restoration project, in fact a rougher one might even be easier as there are less decisions to make as far as what to re-use. I've got a couple of these, I'm slowly building another as a "perfect" restoration, the one pictured is more of a rider. You might be surprised as to what is still available from Honda and the aftermarket. The one pictured has an aftermarket tank, and exhaust, in the photo it has a knockoff 70cc motor but I recently rebuilt the original an it is now back in place.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
RTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I remember the Honda monkey.

My first hand-me-down bike was a Benelli minibike. It was a 60's something model. I remember when I was upgraded to a Honda XL-75. Mom still has pics of me in my Evil Knievel jumpsuit that I got for a Christmas present in the 70's. (Yes, I had the Evil Knievel toys to match)

To tell you how spoiled I have become, I can't imagine ever owning a bike again that I have to kickstart. LOL

Of course that may have to do with with some childhood trauma and my neighbors Indian 100 dirtbike. That thing was the hardest bike ever to kickstart and wore out all of us neighborhood kids legs, trying to get it cranked.
Funny you mention the kickstart, it never really crossed my mind but now that I think about it, of the 10 or so bikes I currently own, only one of them has electric start, it never really bothered me.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
KZ 1000 right?

As far as Z50 condition is concerned, I don't feel condition is all that important for a restoration project, in fact a rougher one might even be easier as there are less decisions to make as far as what to re-use. I've got a couple of these, I'm slowly building another as a "perfect" restoration, the one pictured is more of a rider. You might be surprised as to what is still available from Honda and the aftermarket. The one pictured has an aftermarket tank, and exhaust, in the photo it has a knockoff 70cc motor but I recently rebuilt the original an it is now back in place.
Yep KZ1000 1980LTD. A couple years ago my wife suggested that we should buy us s Harley. And out the door I went. I looked and looked but soon discovered that Harleys were just too expensive for what you get. Then this raggety old KZ showed up on Craigslist. Always wanted one of them too so I went for a look see. 500 bucks later I was haul in her home. Another thousand bucks later I had me a brand new old bike. 140mph for 1500 bucks? Oh yeah, happy camper here.
diverdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote