Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Mfg.home movers are stubby little semi trucks with only (6) tires on the ground and pulling from a ball hitch at the rear of truck! Youroo!!
Needless to say they have 32 chinese tires under the frame and another 30 tires on a rack ready to replace as they blow out!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Mfg.home movers are stubby little semi trucks with only (6) tires on the ground and pulling from a ball hitch at the rear of truck! Youroo!!
When was the last time you saw one of those passing you on the Interstate? Sway is a function of speed; load management; and longitudinal (along the length) physics. Some combinations are inherently more stable than others.

"Rules of Thumb" are just that. A guide. No cop will pull you over for a rig that looks goofy; just one that is unsafe. Youroo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	7976   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7977   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00003.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	7978   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigPull.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	7979  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Needless to say they have 32 chinese tires under the frame and another 30 tires on a rack ready to replace as they blow out!
I said (Mfg. homes-House Trailers) not (House movers) house trailers,double wides,have three or four axles under them. House movers have lots and lots of double axles and tires (20+ plys). House movers use (Big trucks),House trailer movers use (Short trucks)! Youroo!!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
When was the last time you saw one of those passing you on the Interstate? Sway is a function of speed; load management; and longitudinal (along the length) physics. Some combinations are inherently more stable than others.

"Rules of Thumb" are just that. A guide. No cop will pull you over for a rig that looks goofy; just one that is unsafe. Youroo!
I saw one yesterday on (I-75) he had a truck with flags& lights ahead and behind him. They take up more than (1) lane of Interstate and go at a high rate of speed! I dont know if they are breaking the law or not,just facts. They are on house trailer frames and they pull them with a ball hitch from the rear of the truck,not a (Crappy) fifth wheel setup like you posted! Youroo!!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

The southeast has lots of Mobile Homes and around here they haul those things at crazy speeds on the interstate. I give them plenty of space when I see them.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
I said (Mfg. homes-House Trailers) not (House movers) house trailers,double wides,have three or four axles under them. House movers have lots and lots of double axles and tires (20+ plys). House movers use (Big trucks),House trailer movers use (Short trucks)! Youroo!!
I was referring to the trailers, not the truck, just slamming chinese tires, lol
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #17

I think some people are taking this towing stuff way more seriously than others. on the serious side of things, it's important to make sure that your power unit is equipped not just to motivate the towed unit(s) but also to stop, steer, control and maneuver them over paved and unpaved roadways, construction zones, tight turns, heavy traffic, emergency stops, etc etc. This is not a function of length or weight of vehicles alone, but of a dynamic system that involves your tires, axels, suspension, centre of mass, centre of gravity, contact patch area with road surface, tread depth, engine and transmission function, ability to brake with service brakes, jake break, variable vane turbo engine breaking, down shifting, up shifting, attention to the road, traffic and reaction time of the driver. If length or weight were the only concerns then life would be simple.

Can that blazer move that fiver? I'm sure if that thing runs it would move it down the road a few feet or more, but it would handle like seven plates of jello balanced on the end of a broom stick. It would stop like an orca whale break dancing in a rock garden, and if they wanted that thing to work they would have installed the hitch to the frame over the rear axel. We all hope I'm sure that this is a photo shop joke or just for fun picture.

You probably can't tow seven boxcars full of lead with a unicycle, you and almost definitely tow a hand cart with a kenworth, but both concepts are absurd and therefore quite amusing if you are of a certain mindset (like mine)

On a less serious note who has lashed pontoons onto their fiver incase of prolonged inclement weather? If you've done so what sort of motor did you use? inboard or outboard?

I hope you all have many happy miles in any rig you are comfortable driving. (if you are nervous about it, it can't really be right)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #18

do not see a problem , ah you are not in Michigan are you