Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #1

Strapping Down Bike

Hi Everyone,
Just curious how you're strapping your bikes while in the toy hauler. We have purchased a Wolf Pack 27DFWP and are going to be taking our 2007 V-Star 1300 Tourer with us when camping. I bought a decent wheel chock from harbor freight and now i am concerned about the rear of bike wondering while being transported. If you have any input or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a ton. Mark
Mark Danzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Strapping Down Motorcycles

Mark,

I hope you know that to hold a bike that size, a wheel chock is not enough. We haul a Honda 750 and a Yamaha V-Star 650. We have 2 removable wheel chocks, and 6 tie-down rings in the floor, 3 across front, and 3 across rear. We use nylon straps around front forks, just above triple tree, and ratchet straps to secure front. We tie the rear to the swing arm on the V-Star with the same technique. We try not to tie to the handlebars on a motorcycle, as many are shock mounted, and this might put undue stress on the rubber. There may be others who wouldn't collapse the suspension using our method, but it won't hurt anything for a few hours. I would never leave the bikes tied down very long. If you park and don't unload, just go release the pressure on the straps. Just don't forget to retighten before you leave. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Windrider
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

Hi Windrider

Yes, i do realize that i need more than my single front wheel chock to hold my bike in place. I am looking at some other chock options which has a removable chock for the front wheel and the rear so both wheels will actually have their own chocks. I also bought 4 really nice tie down straps with the sheep fur to protect the bike hopefully. I am looking for any and every BEST option i can come with so as to not have any issues. I love my scooter and my RV and i don't want anything stupid to happen anyone or any of my toys as long as i can prevent it ahead of time. If i need different chocks or straps then that is exactly what i will get. Hoping to hear more from the pro's on here. Thanks for your input i do really appreciate it. Mark
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Mark

I have a 27 DFWP as well. I have wrestled with how to secure not only street bikes but also dirt bikes and ATVs.

We have 2 Harleys that we haul and also (but not at the same time) 2 kids quads, a kids dirt bike, an adult atv, and an adult dirt bike. I was going to have some removeable wheel chock mounted but I could not figure out how to secure the removeable hardware to the floor without cutting the black membrane under the trailer so I could put a plate on the underside.

I researched and decided on this - http://www.boltiton.com/ - it is a little pricy but I figure that I can easily remove it when I sell the trailer. And by the time I bought a couple of removable wheel chocks and had the dealer install the hardware (due to the fact that I didn't want to be accountable for cutting that black membrane), I figure I came out ahead.

It hooks to the tiedown points that are already in the floor. Somewhere I have some pics, but it works nice. The bar includes tie down points and I ordered another chock for the 2nd Harley.

The owner is a super nice guy and if you call him direct and order and tell him that you want the same deal he gave me, you just might walk away with a nice discount!!

Let me know if you have any questions...

Stacy
rsscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #5

Thanks rsscoggins

I appreciate the response and this definitely looks like the best system so far. I read all about it and see that you must have to buy the cruiser chock along with the entire system right??? (I don't need the dirt bike chock personally) just the cruiser chock. Thanks again for the response and it will be a serious help to me. Mark
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #6

Mark

Call Scott Corgiat at Bolt-it on and tell him what you want and he will work with you. I believe if you wanted to buy the system with just the cruiser chock, then he would sell just that to you.

Scott is the owner and inventor and a super-nice guy. I spoke with him for about 30 minutes on New Year's day and placed my order and he even gave me the discount that expired on 12/31/2008. He even talked me out of ordering the extra tie down points as the new chock have those built in (comes in handy for hauling two bikes).

Tell him that I told you about it and you want the same deal that I got - which was 15% off of the list price of $279 but he gave me 15% off my entire order including the extra chock. Shipped to my house in Texas was a little over $300.

Later
Stacy Scoggins
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #7

Pictures of the Bolt-it On tie-down system

Here are some pics of the Bolt-it On System. I am leaving in 11 days to go four wheeling and dirtbike riding with the family over spring break so I will take more pics with it earning it's keep. Here is a shot with me standing by the front bed.... Notice that the dirt bike chock is facing you - the dirtbike actually goes here when the bed is folded up. I put a carpet runner down so I don't leave marks on the vinyl floor.

Here is a shot with me standing towards the back of the toy hauler. Notice that I am using the front tie down points. I do this when I haul the ATVs and dirtbikes. When I haul the 2 Harleys, I move the Bolt-it On system back to the second set of tie down points. Typically I have the other wheel chock facing towards the back for my son's XR50.

Here is shot from up above....

The next shot shows the rubber bumpers I added to the bottom of the triangulated bracket, mainly to be able to use those front tiedown points - the triangulated bracket would sit right on top of that metal tack strip where the two types of floor join. I spoke with Scott at Bolt-it on and he said that it would pose not problems if I added these on....

Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #8

Thank You!!!!

Hi RSSCOGGINS,

Thank You very much for posting the photo's i really appreciate it very much and it helps me out tremendously. I do have mine on order and Scott was just getting some parts powder coated yesterday so he said he will ship by the end of the week. I really like the set-up and think it will work great.. Thanks again and have a blast atv'ing and dirt biking. Mark
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #9

BOLT-IT ON with bikes loaded

Here is a couple of pics with bikes and quads in our 27DFWP during spring break - we had 2 kids quads (you can't see on that is hidden behind my wife's quad), a full-size dirt bike and a XR50 mini. The full-size XR and the mini XR needed the BOLT-IT ON system. It also helped secure my wife's quad as well.

My bike goes in the front....

Then everything else gets loaded (there is a smaller yellow quad behind the big yellow quad)....

and for the final unrelated shot of the campsite during spring break...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #10

Thanks for the GREAT pics RS, could you tell me one more thing. How long is the main square bar on your bolt it on??? I know i have to cut mine down and i will actually get my new wolf pack this Thursday but i am curious how long or short i will need to have mine to fit in the tie downs one back. Still have to go between cabinet in kitchen and wall under tv... Thanks again for the help. Mark
Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Danzl View Post
Thanks for the GREAT pics RS, could you tell me one more thing. How long is the main square bar on your bolt it on??? I know i have to cut mine down and i will actually get my new wolf pack this Thursday but i am curious how long or short i will need to have mine to fit in the tie downs one back. Still have to go between cabinet in kitchen and wall under tv... Thanks again for the help. Mark
I have one and you can order different lengths. The guy selling them builds them at Bolt It On.
DynoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #12

Mark

Mine is a standard size and fits between the kitchen cabinets and under the tv cabinet - I thought I would have to cut mine down but it was fine.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
2008 27srvs toyhauler

I have the boltiton in my toyhauler. Love it! Kind of expensive, but hey what isnt now a days.

Tags
bike