Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

1st Time Boondocking ...Tips appreciated!

I'll be taking my new Class C (3170ds) on my first Boondocking excursion in early November with a full house of 6 (2 kids).
We'll be heading to Assateague Island National Seashore for some surf fishing and relaxation.
The weather could be chilly and I'll be on an Oceanside site with no hookups. I have an onboard Cummins that I can run but want to keep that to a minimum if I can .. and it can't run at night.
Any good tips on power usage, furnace/heat pump, all types water use/storage or anything else you've found useful would be much appreciated.
BigPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #2

Good luck on your first dry camping trip. We have been doing it for years with a pop-up and just upgraded to a fifth wheel and finding it is hard to adjust. Some things that have helped us is having LED lights or bulbs save a ton of electricity. In our pop-up we changed all of the incandescent bulbs with LED's and never worried about running out of battery. We always kept an eye on our volts when running the furnace, but a full charge would get us through 3 nights of the furnace running in the Colorado mountains.

Being mindful of water usage, when washing dishes etc don't let the water run or use a wash pan to wash then rinse. Have a way to refill you water tank easily, collapsible water containers with a hose and funnel or modify your pump to draw from the container to fill your tank. Buy water jugs or water bottles for drinking. I know this causes a lot of waste, but I figure we don't do it often and we recycle all the containers.

Good luck!
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking