Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
RV Companion free (iPhone app) has a leveler. Tells you how far you are off in inches so I is easy to get it right the first time. I use it frequently.
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #22

Patience
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #23

After all the good advice, try to pre-cool your frig the day or night before leaving. They usually take 12 - 24 hours to cool down, and as everyone else has said slow and steady. It's supposed to be fun, so enjoy.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
All good points! I will have a hard time relaxing until we get there and get set up, but I am SUPER excited. I wish I could leave a week early

I didn't think about the hook up, but I agree that I should send the wife and kids away while I hook it all up.

I am towing a Coachmen 292BHDS with a 2012 Nissan Armada

Any thoughts on the best way to level the TT once you arrive at your site? Level side to side before you unhook with blocks?? I assume I would use Lego blocks or 2x6s
Always leave a few feet to go up on blocks, blocks go on the low side. Then chock trailer BEFORE disconecting from TV. Then level front to back with tonge jack. Then put down stabilizers, I use blocks if the ground is soft and I might tighten them up a couple of times to help TT from rocking too much.
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #25

Perfect! Thx for the advice
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #26

Another quick question… How do I turn off all power, so that it does not draw from the battery?

Do I need to disconnect the battery when I am not using the camper or I am in route to a campsite?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Another quick question… How do I turn off all power, so that it does not draw from the battery?

Do I need to disconnect the battery when I am not using the camper or I am in route to a campsite?
Disconnect battery only when not hooked to shore power.
You need your battery while traveling to run your emergency break away switch in case your camper dis lodges from your tv.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #28

Thanks Turbs!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #29

When I enter and leave the CG, I roll the windows down so I can heat stuff. Heard the rattling of chains leaving. Thought the grim reaper was getting a tat closes, just forgot to connect one of the safety chains.. Have fun.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Well...we are scheduled to depart for our first camping trip with the family next Friday. This will be our first camping trip in our first camper, so although I am excited, I am also NERVOUS as heck!

This weekend I need to bolt down my battery case, install a battery shut off, sanitize my fresh water system and thoroughly clean the camper.

I plan to take the fully loaded TT and TV across the scales on our way out of town to get all the numbers.

We have an RV setup check list on my iPhone, but wanted to ask if anyone has any words of wisdom...
Wow. I remember the first. White knuckles. It'll be fun. Smile a lot. Watch others in campgrounds. Ask em about things on your RV and their RV. (You'll meet some great folks.) Rest often when driving. I stop at least every 2 hours to stretch, restroom or snack. Walk around RV while gas is pumping. Kick tires for low pressure. Have other adult check behind you. Double check them. You'll find a routine and it'll seem easy on the back half of the trip. Enjoy.
Some basics before each morning start. Slides in. Awning in. Chocks up. Jacks up. Hitched up properly. Toilet bowl empty (it'll slosh). Antenna down. Water Hose, power and cable stored. Sewer hose stored. Cabinets & drawers closed. Roof vents closed. Stove and oven turned off. If you have 7 pin plug into truck, your RV battery will charge from trucks alternator while driving so keep 12vt battler power connected. Sounds like a lot, but you'll do fine. Have fun.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #31

You will have fun but take your time and double check your work. It is easy to get distracted and that is when it can get expensive if you are not carefully! Just start a list of the things you would like to add as without a doubt you will not have everything you would like the first time out.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #32

What I learned from my boating days where there is always a sense of danger is Routine, Routine, Routine! Find your way of doing things from hitching up to set-up and re-hitching and do it exactly the same each and every time. Most RV'ers will have the DH doing all the outside preperation with the DW taking care of the inside. One little tip I depend on is every time the tv antenna is up and any ceiling or roof vents cranked open, I hang a red satin sash to the cranks that remain there during the duration of the camping. Yeah they may look dorky, but its better than pulling out of the CG and ripping one or the other off on a low tree limb. Some campers will tie or place something similiar on the steering wheel or gear shift as a reminder.
Good Luck! Happy camping and enjoy yourselves to the fullest!!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #33

Well… We're about to leave on our first camping trip. I'm ready to pull out of the driveway and I have everything hooked up, but I have a question about bumper height.

My bumper height is exactly 1 inch lower with the camper hooked up. Is that normal or should I look to adjust my WDH for my next trip?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #34

That is after the auto leveler on the Armada kicked in
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Well… We're about to leave on our first camping trip. I'm ready to pull out of the driveway and I have everything hooked up, but I have a question about bumper height.

My bumper height is exactly 1 inch lower with the camper hooked up. Is that normal or should I look to adjust my WDH for my next trip?
Normal to drop a bit. If the trailer is fairly level you should be good to go. Send us a pic when you can of your Armada and trailer hitched. You may still have to adjust a touch.

Have fun and enjoy the trip.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #36

Not sure how to load a pic via the mobile app. Will have to do that when I get back. Classic first trip… my four-year-old threw up as we are pulling out of the driveway
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #37
Always Learning

I'll admit, I LOL'd a little. Sorry to hear of the mess. May that be the worst of your weekend!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #38

We made it!!! First 30 miles sucked as I was not used to pulling a camper, but I settled in and enjoyed the first trip this far. Only thing I can't figure out is how I get the fridge colder. No dial, just a small cord with a plastic piece at the end.

I would think a simple knob would have been easier
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #39

Good stuff! Ya, it doesn't take long to get used to the feel and effect of the trailer behind you. Takes several hours for the fridge to get really cold.
Enjoy the long weekend!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #40
Always Learning

Quote:
We made it!!! First 30 miles sucked as I was not used to pulling a camper, but I settled in and enjoyed the first trip this far. Only thing I can't figure out is how I get the fridge colder. No dial, just a small cord with a plastic piece at the end.

I would think a simple knob would have been easier
Herk has a photo in his Herkabrary, but essentially - slider the plastic piece up that holds up the wire-looking thing.