Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

2 TV's - dual port dish - but works on 1 satellite

OK, what I have read, it shows the dual port on the tailgater dish will run 2 TV's but both have to be on the same satellite.
ALSO been reading that some RV'rs get 2 single tailgaters to run the 2 TV's and can watch ANY channel that they want on either TV.
Do many people here do that? Is it worth the extra cash to run 2 dish tailgaters?
The extra cash out would be just the cost of the dish itself, using a 2nd receiver cost is just a add on price that would be there anyway if I did go with the dual port dish.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for your input!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Yes it is better to have two TVs, one for your better half and one for you. We do the two TVs on different channels with a Pathway X2, with a 211 receiver and a Wally receiver. I also have a Tailgater. I find the Pathway X2 to be my satellite if I am going to stay for more the a day or two. It takes a little more time to set it up but it sits on a tripod that it locks into and after leveling it secures to the ground via a pigtail. It my be a cheaper way to go? Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Yes it is better to have two TVs, one for your better half and one for you. We do the two TVs on different channels with a Pathway X2, with a 211 receiver and a Wally receiver. I also have a Tailgater. I find the Pathway X2 to be my satellite if I am going to stay for more the a day or two. It takes a little more time to set it up but it sits on a tripod that it locks into and after leveling it secures to the ground via a pigtail. It my be a cheaper way to go? Good Luck
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, Your using 2 different satellite dishes....
A Pathway X2 for one TV and a Tailgater for the other TV so you can get "ANY CHANNEL" on either TV, correct?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Sorry it is not worth paying for one dish let alone two. We are thinking about taking it out of the house as well................ but to each their own.................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

the KingTailgater2, or similar model 'dual' outputs, will work 'fine' in most of your situations, but remember that the second receiver will only be able to 'see' channels that are on the same satellite as the main receiver(when it was initially programmed), such as 129 in HD.
Now, what this really means is that you first acquire the satellite(s) on the Main receiver, which is the TV that you might view the most(ours is the bedroom). Once that receiver is set up and your watching any and all channels you want, you turn it to a channel that is going to be on the best satellite for the channels you want to see on the 'secondary' receiver, such as the TV in the living room. When you then acquire the satellite(s) on this receiver, it will ONLY find the satellite that the main receiver is currently set to a channel on.
So, if the Main receiver is on a sat 129 channel, like HGTV in HD on channel 112, then the 'secondary living room receiver and TV will only show channels from that satellite... which can take a while to figure out, but if you go to 'guide' on the secondary receiver, you'll only see the channels on 'My Channels' from that specific satellite.

Here's the 'rub', if you will: if you turn the Main receiver to a channel that is on a different satellite, you will find that the 'secondary' receiver and TV will show the 'blue screen' error...'channel not available' type of message. When you go BACK to a channel on the initial satellite, the 'secondary' receiver and TV will go back to showing correctly. The 'secondary' receiver can change channels to any on that satellite. If sat 129 in HD, you'll find many options to keep most happy in this situation, but sat 110 is also good since it has almost all available channels on a single satellite, including a 'few' in HD.

So, if you do that for a while, but don't like the 'hassle'... you can, yes, simple get another KingTailgater2 or antenna that you like, and you'll be able to satisfy both TV WATCHERS!

easy ;_)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsKev View Post
OK, what I have read, it shows the dual port on the tailgater dish will run 2 TV's but both have to be on the same satellite.
ALSO been reading that some RV'rs get 2 single tailgaters to run the 2 TV's and can watch ANY channel that they want on either TV.
Do many people here do that? Is it worth the extra cash to run 2 dish tailgaters?
The extra cash out would be just the cost of the dish itself, using a 2nd receiver cost is just a add on price that would be there anyway if I did go with the dual port dish.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for your input!
I really didn't want to pay for two receivers for both tv's., So I installed a splitter from the Wally and bought a 20' HDMI cable and ran it from the LR TV to the bedroom. While I was doing it I ran another for my Firestick. The remote for the dish receiver works from both rooms. I also bought a 25' HDMI to use the bedroom TV outside. Excuse the spaghetti wires, still have to clean them up. I think you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49F1DFFF-B7B9-4D35-8375-2C5CB3E81C25.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	169238   Click image for larger version

Name:	60EC57E1-B453-4F4E-9E62-E57B5B206230.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	169239  
Dawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

OK, I got it.....
I'll try that and see how it goes!
Thanks all for the info!
Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

and Dish offers a 'single' receiver that provides signal to Two TVs, and different remotes for each.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #9

Sorry I just understood your question. I only use the Tailgater for a day or two. The Pathway X2 does two TVs on different channels. You do need two receivers but they are only about $79.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiz View Post
I really didn't want to pay for two receivers for both tv's., So I installed a splitter from the Wally and bought a 20' HDMI cable and ran it from the LR TV to the bedroom. While I was doing it I ran another for my Firestick. The remote for the dish receiver works from both rooms. I also bought a 25' HDMI to use the bedroom TV outside. Excuse the spaghetti wires, still have to clean them up. I think you can get the idea.

Hi hope you don’t mind me burying in but I was planning to use a splitter coming out of my Wally so I could have a designated HDMI cable for when I want to watch tv outside did you have problems with HDCP can I just use a cheap one input two output HDMI splitter or do I need something that will strip HDCP
Exusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exusps View Post
Hi hope you don’t mind me burying in but I was planning to use a splitter coming out of my Wally so I could have a designated HDMI cable for when I want to watch tv outside did you have problems with HDCP can I just use a cheap one input two output HDMI splitter or do I need something that will strip HDCP
I am not aware of any issues with HDCP. I have used both TV's at the same time with no issues on the Wally or the Firestick. I used the splitter below with both devices.

If I can answer any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dawiz

HDMI Splitter 1 x 2, NewBEP 1 Input 2 Output HDMI Amplifier Switcher Box Hub Support 4KX2K 3D 2160p 1080p (One Input To Two Outputs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT12OQA..._d1K8AbK3DXZ50
Dawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exusps View Post
You will want one that DOES support HDCP. If not you will not see HDCP content. Most do but maybe an old one that is super cheap. I had issues with an HDMI switch that did not support it. At the time I could get no pay TV channels because the cable company protected these. I bought one with HDCP support and all was well. It is also important to get a splitter that can handle the high bit rates as well because you have 2 HD streams.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite