Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
On edit, the AnyDVD runs in the background (you just install it and it always runs). The Handbrake is just one rip & encode step. I wouldn't do it if I had to take multiple steps to getting the DVD files ready for viewing.

Check out MetaX - it's been incredibly helpful at pulling metadata from various online sources. You pick the one that you want. I have yet to find something it didn't find.

Re the disclaimer: I second this. Everything that I've ripped and have available are what I purchased and own the physical disc for.
Oh, ok, so it works like DVD43. Only difference then is that one is free. Most of the 'content unlockers' tended to be 2 step.

I don't encode often enough to worry about MetaX. We do it more on a "I want to bring this movie this weekend" basis. If I ever got serious about it I might look into it. I've still got several hundreds of movies that haven't been ripped yet.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Old Enough to Know Better

I have a dedicated server (6 tb) at home running windows media center. I use any dvd/clone dvd to rip them to the server then copy over what we want to a 2 tb portable hard drive for the trailer connected to a small computer. I can also link to a phone for wi fi and surf the web when a signal is availible. This was set up by son inlaw who works in IT. I know how it works but dont nessisarily know all the details
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	computer 2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	54243   Click image for larger version

Name:	computer.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	54245  

Old 06-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Oh, ok, so it works like DVD43. Only difference then is that one is free. Most of the 'content unlockers' tended to be 2 step.

I don't encode often enough to worry about MetaX. We do it more on a "I want to bring this movie this weekend" basis. If I ever got serious about it I might look into it. I've still got several hundreds of movies that haven't been ripped yet.
I didn't realize DVD43 was free. Sounds like they accomplish the same thing. I know that I used one on our old PC and it wouldn't work when we upgraded to a 64-bit install of Windows. I don't recall what it was.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
I have a dedicated server (6 tb) at home running windows media center. I use any dvd/clone dvd to rip them to the server then copy over what we want to a 2 tb portable hard drive for the trailer connected to a small computer. I can also link to a phone for wi fi and surf the web when a signal is availible. This was set up by son inlaw who works in IT. I know how it works but dont nessisarily know all the details
I'm curious if you know any details about the "small computer" in the trailer.

We also have a dedicated hot spot device instead of using or phones for Internet since I work regularly from the camper. Well, that and my mother-in-law- it was a hassle to have her ask me to setup my connection so she could connect. The dedicated hot spot is just there and always on.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
with all that media .. and hardware, i think you need to up the ante on your download range and speed .. there is way more out there than just streaming ..

just sayin' d-mo
Do you mind expanding on this? I'm not understanding what you're saying or suggesting.

I have a dedicated hot spot device that I get internet through for our non-cellular devices.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #16

Unless something has changed recently (and I'll admit it may have since my last round of ripping) if you have the 64bit version of handbrake all it takes is to copy a .dll file to the right folder and you don't have to mess with DVD43 or AnyDVD. Just FYI. I have a laptop I pieced together from 3 broken ones, we call it frankenputer and it lives in the popup now with some music and movies copied to it just in case. Our phones are still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan so if there is cell service we can just netflix or whatever on a rainy day.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss01 View Post
Unless something has changed recently (and I'll admit it may have since my last round of ripping) if you have the 64bit version of handbrake all it takes is to copy a .dll file to the right folder and you don't have to mess with DVD43 or AnyDVD. Just FYI.
I read that and thought the same. I have 64bit Windows. I read an article and put that DVD into the right folder but still had issues with a few DVDs. Once I installed AnyDVD - it ripped right through. I literally did before/after attempts on 2 of them (didn't work vs. did work).
Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Do you mind expanding on this? I'm not understanding what you're saying or suggesting.

I have a dedicated hot spot device that I get internet through for our non-cellular devices (iPods, iPads, laptops, etc.).
I think what he is saying is that it's probably best not to publish in the forum

but do a search for XBMC, or rasberry pi with xbmcubuntu (sic), or if you don't want to fuss with it read some reviews of the G box Midnight on amazon. ( I have one its glitchy but mostly works) We too have XBMC with many add ons on Frankenputer.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss01 View Post
but do a search for XBMC, or rasberry pi with xbmcubuntu (sic), or if you don't want to fuss with it read some reviews of the G box Midnight on amazon. ( I have one its glitchy but mostly works) We too have XBMC with many add ons on Frankenputer.
I thought about building a raspberry pi computer, but wanted something ready made/off the shelf that I could just pickup and use. Kind of like that G Box Midnight that you mentioned. Unfortunately I hadn't heard anything about this before- looks pretty neat. I'd still need a step-by-step idiot's guide to setting it all up.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I read that and thought the same. I have 64bit Windows. I read an article and put that DVD into the right folder but still had issues with a few DVDs. Once I installed AnyDVD - it ripped right through. I literally did before/after attempts on 2 of them (didn't work vs. did work).
Wierd, I never had an issue except with some Disney movies, and it didn't seem to matter what I tried anyway to rip it. But where there is a will there is a way

Really isn't much to set up on that, I didn't even have to hunt for the goodies like in the windows version of XBMC. BUT it's running on Android so has lots of customizations specifically to make it run a bit better, which breaks some add ons occassionally which work wonderfully on window/linux loads. eventually they update and fix, or reloading is super easy too, but to say it's as easy to use as something like you're Roku would be a lie, but easier than building a linux box probably.

Tags
dvd