Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
MKV files are much larger than MP4 (since they are full resolution). I would rather have more choice (a few thousand) rather than a few hundred really sharp high res movies in the same 4T hard drive.

Just a personal observation.
True enough, it's all about preference.

For me I just want to rip them as fast as possible and trim off any previews, languages and any extra menus that I don't need.

I'll second what offroad suggested, Video Catalyst is excellent.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #62
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Not by itself it doesn't but, get an HDMI splitter and your options are endless.
If you're creative you could even utilize the coax in your RV to feed the same movie to each TV. It would not be in HD if that matters.

They're expensive but, I've good success with the wireless HDMI devices they make now. Amazon.com: Nyrius ARIES Prime Digital Wireless HDMI Transmitter & Receiver System for HD 1080p 3D Video Streaming, Laptops, PC, Cablebox, Satellite, Blu-ray, DVD, PS3, Xbox (NPCS549): Electronics
Thanks for the ideas. That would definitely be a limiter for me- I don't care for HD everywhere, but don't want to fish wires from TV to TV. I'm always curious of other people's setups.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #63
Always Learning

In random news- I watched my first streaming TV on Hulu over mobile data last night in the camper. Between that and mobile check deposits, I feel like the future has arrived.

Hurts the data plan, but was impressive none-the-less.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #64

So thought I would update how I finally got it all figured out and workin. Used Pavtube dvd Aid to burn dvd's to hard drive. Wow super easy to work with. So I have movies on WD elements portable drive 2tb, hook that up to WD media player which is connected to tv thats it! Took me 3 months to get 1000 dvds transfered but well worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #65
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
So thought I would update how I finally got it all figured out and workin. Used Pavtube dvd Aid to burn dvd's to hard drive. Wow super easy to work with. So I have movies on WD elements portable drive 2tb, hook that up to WD media player which is connected to tv thats it! Took me 3 months to get 1000 dvds transfered but well worth the time.

Now you just need to get it all indexed in a spreadsheet using excel so you can remember what you have and don't buy duplicates!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #66
Who Dares, Wins

I am sure it is in the 7 pages somewhere... But how did you deal with the copyright protections? I ripped a few DVD's for our drive to places and put them on a tablet.. It needed a software to strip the copy protection before I could do anything.

Currently I have 20 or so DVD saved onto a WD Hardrive and on a Samsung Tablet in MP4 or similar (video) file.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #67
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I am sure it is in the 7 pages somewhere... But how did you deal with the copyright protections? I ripped a few DVD's for our drive to places and put them on a tablet.. It needed a software to strip the copy protection before I could do anything.

Currently I have 20 or so DVD saved onto a WD Hardrive and on a Samsung Tablet in MP4 or similar (video) file.
I use SlySoft AnyDVD to circumvent the copy protection.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #68
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, I used this as well during their trial period and worked well. The ripping software only had two DVD that it could not do, Frozen and Monsters Inc, for some reason. Audio and video was out of sink... But not the end of the world for me, I was tired of seeing Frozen three times and hour (thanks to the 2.5 year old).

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #69
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, I used this as well during their trial period and worked well. The ripping software only had two DVD that it could not do, Frozen and Monsters Inc, for some reason. Audio and video was out of sink... But not the end of the world for me, I was tired of seeing Frozen three times and hour (thanks to the 2.5 year old).
Maybe try again. With AnyDVD and Handbrake, I was able to rip both of those without issue.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #70
Who Dares, Wins

I used AnyDVD to strip the copy protection and CloneDVD Mobile to make the movies. I will try the Handbrake.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #71

With Pavtube it seems to be an all in 1 software, it is all I used anyway. No problems with any current protections, it copied everything flawlessly to hard drive, new, old, dvds we made. Very happy with Pavtube software, highly recommend.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Now you just need to get it all indexed in a spreadsheet using excel so you can remember what you have and don't buy duplicates!

I use an app called 'hunter touch' to keep track of mine. Got tired of buying stuff from the 5$ bargain bin only to realize I already had it at home.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #73

Just wanted to throw in my very new setup. I have very few DVDs or blu-ray disks and am not much of a movie repeater but gotta have something for days like today when the rain is steady. We have 3 led tvs in the toy hauler. Don't want to spend the money on a dish setup. I have a ChromeCast and a Roku stick which I can move from tv to tv as needed. I also installed an Amped range extender 800mw to link everything and to connect to campground wifi. It all works great so far. I can stream Netflix, Amazon, and anything else I want. I can also hook up my laptop via hdmi to any tv as needed.

2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD
2015 XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
Splicertech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd