Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 30
2018 Grey Wolf 17BHSE Winterizing

I plan on doing the air compressor method to winterize. This is my first time winterizing. I believe I have a pretty good handle on the process but am confused on the HW heater part.

If I drain the hot water heater do I need to leave the anode plug out and use compressed air to get any residual water out and then plug it back up so I can pressurize the rest of the system and blow out the rest of the water lines? Also, by using the compressed air method, do I still need to bypass the HW heater?

Thanks!
__________________

ArkansasGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasGreyWolf View Post
I plan on doing the air compressor method to winterize. This is my first time winterizing. I believe I have a pretty good handle on the process but am confused on the HW heater part.

If I drain the hot water heater do I need to leave the anode plug out and use compressed air to get any residual water out and then plug it back up so I can pressurize the rest of the system and blow out the rest of the water lines? Also, by using the compressed air method, do I still need to bypass the HW heater?

Thanks!
More knowledgeable frogs will be along but- I think you bypass the wh to avoid getting antifreeze in it. By pulling the anode rod and leaving it out letís any remaining water evaporate. Others are concerned about bugs getting in the wh without the rod in place. Mine is removed and left out for the winter. Not many bugs flying arose in the snow.
__________________

H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 30
Thanks but I donít plan on using anti freeze. Just blowing out the lines and leaving faucets open.
ArkansasGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasGreyWolf View Post
Thanks but I donít plan on using anti freeze. Just blowing out the lines and leaving faucets open.
Hard to blow it out if itís bypassed so the answer to your initial question is a simple no.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Winterizing comment

Even if you blow out the water lines with compressed air, you still need to add antifreeze to the drains: sinks, shower, toilet. You will not get out the water from those areas with the compressed air.
RickEdison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 9,877
By pass the water heater first.
Blow out the lines and remove the anode or drain plug (depending on make of water heater) and drain the water heater. Put the anode/plug back in so you are ready for next year. Any little bit of residual water in the tank won't matter.

That answers your question.

My additional advice is use antifreeze in the plumbing, in addition to blowing out and at the very least address the water left in the pump and suction/strainer that blowing out doesn't get.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Stevenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Stevenson
i first empty the hw tank at both the opening where your anode rod goes, my hw tank does not have the rod but does have the same opening, the tank is made of different metal. then i run compress air to blow out all the lines. then i would open the low point drain valves under the trailer to remove any more residuel water. dont forget your outside shower hookup if you have one. when that is done using the water pump i run antifreeze through all fausets.
__________________
Retired Sub Sailor
S.E. Michigan
2013 Chevy Silverado
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Jim Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Chris and Cecil
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fleahop, Alabama
Posts: 110
More ?? About winterizing.

To expand on the OPs question...we never use our FW tank- only cg water hook ups, thus never use the water pump. We live in central Alabama and only occasionally get below freezing weather at night. Our tt is under a carport though granted itís open sided. We plan to open all faucets and drain water heater leaving anode rod out, and open low point drain, but did not plan to winterize unit w/ antifreeze. Have trips planned southerly in December and March so thinking it will be ok (If weíre wrong itíll be an expensive lesson).

Do you recommend going ahead and putting antifreeze in the drains anyway? Thanks.
__________________
Dentist said I needed a crown.
I was, like, I know!

2018 Flagstaff Microlite 25FKS
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Alabama Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 9,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Potter View Post
To expand on the OPs question...we never use our FW tank- only cg water hook ups, thus never use the water pump. We live in central Alabama and only occasionally get below freezing weather at night. Our tt is under a carport though granted itís open sided. We plan to open all faucets and drain water heater leaving anode rod out, and open low point drain, but did not plan to winterize unit w/ antifreeze. Have trips planned southerly in December and March so thinking it will be ok (If weíre wrong itíll be an expensive lesson).

Do you recommend going ahead and putting antifreeze in the drains anyway? Thanks.
I put antifreeze in anything I believe will freeze.
__________________

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grey wolf, winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.