Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

2018 Grey Wolf 17BHSE Winterizing

I plan on doing the air compressor method to winterize. This is my first time winterizing. I believe I have a pretty good handle on the process but am confused on the HW heater part.

If I drain the hot water heater do I need to leave the anode plug out and use compressed air to get any residual water out and then plug it back up so I can pressurize the rest of the system and blow out the rest of the water lines? Also, by using the compressed air method, do I still need to bypass the HW heater?

Thanks!
ArkansasGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasGreyWolf View Post
I plan on doing the air compressor method to winterize. This is my first time winterizing. I believe I have a pretty good handle on the process but am confused on the HW heater part.

If I drain the hot water heater do I need to leave the anode plug out and use compressed air to get any residual water out and then plug it back up so I can pressurize the rest of the system and blow out the rest of the water lines? Also, by using the compressed air method, do I still need to bypass the HW heater?

Thanks!
More knowledgeable frogs will be along but- I think you bypass the wh to avoid getting antifreeze in it. By pulling the anode rod and leaving it out let’s any remaining water evaporate. Others are concerned about bugs getting in the wh without the rod in place. Mine is removed and left out for the winter. Not many bugs flying arose in the snow.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Thanks but I don’t plan on using anti freeze. Just blowing out the lines and leaving faucets open.
ArkansasGreyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasGreyWolf View Post
Thanks but I don’t plan on using anti freeze. Just blowing out the lines and leaving faucets open.
Hard to blow it out if it’s bypassed so the answer to your initial question is a simple no.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Winterizing comment

Even if you blow out the water lines with compressed air, you still need to add antifreeze to the drains: sinks, shower, toilet. You will not get out the water from those areas with the compressed air.
RickEdison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

By pass the water heater first.
Blow out the lines and remove the anode or drain plug (depending on make of water heater) and drain the water heater. Put the anode/plug back in so you are ready for next year. Any little bit of residual water in the tank won't matter.

That answers your question.

My additional advice is use antifreeze in the plumbing, in addition to blowing out and at the very least address the water left in the pump and suction/strainer that blowing out doesn't get.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Stevenson
i first empty the hw tank at both the opening where your anode rod goes, my hw tank does not have the rod but does have the same opening, the tank is made of different metal. then i run compress air to blow out all the lines. then i would open the low point drain valves under the trailer to remove any more residuel water. dont forget your outside shower hookup if you have one. when that is done using the water pump i run antifreeze through all fausets.
2017 Shasta Revere 29rk
Jim Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Chris and Cecil

More ?? About winterizing.

To expand on the OPs question...we never use our FW tank- only cg water hook ups, thus never use the water pump. We live in central Alabama and only occasionally get below freezing weather at night. Our tt is under a carport though granted it’s open sided. We plan to open all faucets and drain water heater leaving anode rod out, and open low point drain, but did not plan to winterize unit w/ antifreeze. Have trips planned southerly in December and March so thinking it will be ok (If we’re wrong it’ll be an expensive lesson).

Do you recommend going ahead and putting antifreeze in the drains anyway? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Potter View Post
To expand on the OPs question...we never use our FW tank- only cg water hook ups, thus never use the water pump. We live in central Alabama and only occasionally get below freezing weather at night. Our tt is under a carport though granted it’s open sided. We plan to open all faucets and drain water heater leaving anode rod out, and open low point drain, but did not plan to winterize unit w/ antifreeze. Have trips planned southerly in December and March so thinking it will be ok (If we’re wrong it’ll be an expensive lesson).

Do you recommend going ahead and putting antifreeze in the drains anyway? Thanks.
I put antifreeze in anything I believe will freeze.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey wolf, winter