Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
22' TT living for the winter in NC?

Hello all, first time poster here. The misses and I have a 22' Surveyor that she stays in during the week in the Raleigh area (new job) and comes home to eastern NC on the weekends. My question is this: What should I be doing now to prepare for a winter set-up? Its set up in an RV park full time. Kinda "temporary housing" I guess. How much $$$ should I allot for propane each month? What measures should I take for water lines, septic lines, holding tanks, ect...Ugh! So many questions! Can ya'll give me some starting points to prepare for cold weather? Great forum, by the way!Thanks,

oderus1671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
I Googled "winter rving" and found several sites with tips. Try "living in an rv in winter" or other similar searches.
Insulating foam boards can be used around the bottom, shrink wrap plastic over most of the windows and/or install heavy curtains, a heated and insulated fresh water hose is a must, and one writer used pvc pipe instead of a flexible sewer hose. A couple 60 watt bulbs under the TT will help to keep the tanks from freezing or you can put tank heating blankets on.
Read, read, read and good luck!

FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
Get an electric infrared heater to save on the propane. We have an EdenPURE Signature Edition that is great. Put in a separate outlet and circuit breaker for it. Just about eliminates the need for the furnace.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Electric heat, and underpin it somehow, best you can. Raleigh seldom stays below freezing for 24 hours, so I wouldn't worry about the tanks freezing. it is is going to be cold for long, just instruct her to pull the dump handles, and leave them open. (realize when you do this, you don't want a long flush as sewer gasses will come from the septic system in to the camper. Instead, fill the toilet with water, then make the full flush. repeat as necessary). I would put heat tape and pipe insulation on the cold water inlet hose. She will be mad if she gets up and her water hose is frozen, and she has no water. As for propane usage, should be able to almost all heat from electric heater, so little more than what she is burning now, water heater and cooking. Hope this helps some/
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
I live in Clarksville Va. about 75 miles north just above oxford nc. I have no problem heating the rv with 2 electric heaters, I have heated tanks but never used them yet. As for sewage, you can leave the gray water tanks open with no problems, but do not leave your head open. What will happen is that when you flush only the water will run out things like toilet paper and any solids will not flow out you will build up and it will harden up like concreat. When that happens you will never get your tank clean and more then likely you would have to replace it. I learned the hard way. I would suggest that you wrap your water line from the connection to the TT. I have a rockwood 8289WS 31'
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
I thought winter stopped at the Canadian aand USA border. At least thats what we were always told when we went to places like Maine and Boston for hockey tournaments and they asked how we got there. My dad used to wrestle polar bears and we got to ski all year round in New Brusnwick. Of course there were times when the dog sled teams got stuck taking us to school.
Its been 7 and 8 degrees here last week during the day (just about 48 degrees F) Feels like winter again.

2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote