Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

A/C for dogs...

We recently purchased a used rockwood pop up and are looking forward to spending most weekends next month out and about. Grew up thinking that if you weren't in a tent you weren't camping and we camped an awful lot. Now my older back, young children and such have rewritten that line of thinking. Anyways... We primarily go to state parks and what not with strict pet rules... We would like to be able to go to the beach and other place where the dogs aren't allowed and know that they will be safe and comfortable... My thought is to put them in the back of the truck which has a topper with no side windows... Most likely in a crate and then run an extension cord inside from the trailer which will allow me to place a small air conditioner inside for them... Shouldn't take too much to cool that small area... I have a Great Dane and a vizsla so I would rather not come back to a shredded camper... Thoughts? Not trying to go super expensive but want the trips to be enjoyable for everyone and not limited to just staying around the campsite with the dogs...
Pplfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

One big concern - If left alone in the back of your truck and a power failure or other issue occurs with the AC, the mass of air being too small won't stay cool for very long.
Once the temperature has been lowered to a comfortable level I know in most cases the dogs would be OK for at least a couple of hours inside before the trailer gets uncomfortable.

If you are concerned they may damage the trailer, short nails and in extreme situations a muzzle are a good thing to protect your trailer as well as the pets. I have seen pets left in popups pretty often without issues.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the response... We wouldn't be leaving for really long periods of time... Not going for the whole day... Would definitely want to go back to check on them every so often. It's a good point about the ac not being impervious to failure...
Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

we carried our dog with use for the first time this past weekend. the only issue is we has is the dog really pissed me off and scratched a hole in the screen door of my new TT. Last trip the dog is going on with us.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Which is exactly what I don't want to happen! I've seen too many pictures of danes destroying couches to feel comfortable leaving her alone in the pop up.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #6

If you are willing to do a crate in the truck, maybe one in the popup would work. I imagine it is a big cage. but they fold pretty well and could be moved outdoor when you are in the trailer.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

This would be crazy inconvenient but could possibly work and is less inconvenient than a dead dog... Haha! Would the pop up be cool enough for them with out a/c?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

My dane promptly punched out the front door screen ans bunk screen.....between him and my daughter I own a few rolls of screen material...recently put plexi on the front bottom inside. ..

On another related note, there are products designed to call you in the even of power failure or over temp... (obviously cell phone coverage is required)...many full timers have em. I know its inside trailer and not out like you want.....

Anyway, I feel your pain...danes dont tolerate heat as well as some others....

Another reason I want a th, so I can put the dog back there when out...much more pet friendly construction back there. ..till then...ill leave him boarded on longer trips.( very expensive) :-(
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

We keep our two crated in the trailer when we aren't there. We turn on the tv or radio for back ground noise so they don't bark at every voice they hear. When we get back we fold it up and put it under the trailer. Has worked well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Texasblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
We keep our two crated in the trailer when we aren't there. We turn on the tv or radio for back ground noise so they don't bark at every voice they hear. When we get back we fold it up and put it under the trailer. Has worked well for us.

Lol...I have a crate for my dane....a toy hauler would be a must for that! !...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #11

If you use a topper with no windows how do you install an air conditioner? I think what you are trying to describe would work with a small window AC unit, but not just set inside topper.

We camped next to a small, maybe 14-16 ft, old, but nice travel trailer that a couple was fll timing for the summer in. Imagine my surprise when one of the owners came by the second afternoon and let out 2 Great Danes and a Pit Bull mix. Never heard a peep out of the dogs and they hadn't done any damage to the trailer. The lady said they just lounged around all day and she would let them out on her lunch break.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #12

I would not trust leaving our dogs (pugs) in the camper alone with the AC on. Not that they will do damage, but if the power fails it could get very hot in the camper. We actually had something like this happen to friends of ours while camping. They left for several hours and the power failed in the area of the camp ground where their camper was parked. They came back to a very hot camper and one of the pugs could not be revived.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

X2
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post

X2
Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
NELA

My first thought for cooling dogs in a camper topper was:

fifteen dollar air conditioner - Yahoo Search Results

Reportedly these cool for 4 hours at a time. Folks use them in high rise apartments in the city also. Runs easily off 12V.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
My first thought for cooling dogs in a camper topper was:

fifteen dollar air conditioner - Yahoo Search Results

Reportedly these cool for 4 hours at a time. Folks use them in high rise apartments in the city also. Runs easily off 12V.
X2...I use one for our dog in our covered screen porch...helps keep it a little more comfortable