Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

A/C Replacement

After a few thousand hours of use, my rear A/C unit decided it had had enough, and has taken a permanent nap. Now you might think my wallet is going to take a big hit with this issue. Not so. You see a few years ago, I got the idea of helping out my factory installed roof top 15K btu unit. I made some removable brackets, window panels, and put a $99.00, 6K btu window unit in the rear of my rig. Works just like a window unit would in a residential home. My add on did not require any destruction to my TT's window opening. It worked so well that I did the same thing at the front of my TT, only this time it was a 12K BTU for $179.00. These units working together also meant I did not have to run my factory roof top unit. I think the replacement cost for the roof top unit is $1400.00, + labor.

Now obviously my TT's electrical system is not designed to run these two window units. I never intended it too. And, I would never use these two window units unless I was hooked up to a some what long term shore power, which I am now. My TT is hooked up to the 50 amp supply, and these two window units are hooked up to the 30 amp supply on the park's pedestal. This also means if I want to turn my roof top unit on during exceptional hot days I can. The park service has no problem with me using the extra A/Cs, and they don't look bad at all.

All I do when installing these units is remove the window screen, put in the brackets that hold the A/Cs, install the panels that the A/Cs slide into, but closes off the rest of the window opening, then just slide the A/C unit in and plug it in. To do both units takes me about 20 minutes. Removal is just as easy. The windows swing upwards, and held open with a piece of PVC, and a strap to keep them from moving during a wind storm.

Since I already had a spare A/C unit, today's A/C replacement took about 20 minutes. The napping A/C was put to rest in the near by dumpster.

This brings up another idea. What if RV manufacturers were to design slide outs that handled window units instead of these high priced roof top units? What a cost saving concept.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

Glad it worked out well for you.

I recently added a second AC, and the total cost was $589. This included upper and lower units, and it took about an hour to install. I sure like that its built in and nothing protruding in or out of the camper.
Again, I'm glad your happy with the way yours turned out and its sounds like it'll keep you cool!
Stay cool, and Happy Campin
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Without pictures it did not happen. :-)
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Glad it worked out well for you.

I recently added a second AC, and the total cost was $589. This included upper and lower units, and it took about an hour to install. I sure like that its built in and nothing protruding in or out of the camper.
Again, I'm glad your happy with the way yours turned out and its sounds like it'll keep you cool!
Stay cool, and Happy Campin
I wanted to add a second roof top unit to my rig, but all the local RV outlets I talked to wanted over $1200.00, for a 15K btu unit, not including labor. I could have done my own labor.
It was also the power consumption that steered me away, since I only have a 30 amp service. It would have been tough to run both units at the same time, which would have needed to do.
Since I had three window units stored in my garage not doing anything, I just did some personal brain storming to incorporate their usage. I also had two windows, front, and back that were perfect for the install. After some trial and error stuff, I got the easy install/removal and final look I wanted. The final look was important because quite often we host at National Parks, and they are sticklers for clean looking rigs.
This all paid off this summer when the ambient temps hit 120+/- *F during a stretch of 10 days. We were able to keep the inside of the TT under 80*F. When the summer temps are in the normal range (105*F-110*F) we don't even need to turn the factory roof top unit on to stay comfortable. Once it cools down enough, (October 1st??) the window units will disappear to storage until needed again next summer.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post

I wanted to add a second roof top unit to my rig, but all the local RV outlets I talked to wanted over $1200.00, for a 15K btu unit, not including labor. I could have done my own labor.
It was also the power consumption that steered me away, since I only have a 30 amp service. It would have been tough to run both units at the same time, which would have needed to do.
Since I had three window units stored in my garage not doing anything, I just did some personal brain storming to incorporate their usage. I also had two windows, front, and back that were perfect for the install. After some trial and error stuff, I got the easy install/removal and final look I wanted. The final look was important because quite often we host at National Parks, and they are sticklers for clean looking rigs.
This all paid off this summer when the ambient temps hit 120+/- *F during a stretch of 10 days. We were able to keep the inside of the TT under 80*F. When the summer temps are in the normal range (105*F-110*F) we don't even need to turn the factory roof top unit on to stay comfortable. Once it cools down enough, (October 1st??) the window units will disappear to storage until needed again next summer.
Sounds Cool!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement