Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

A fun project I won't do....

So I was remembering the super-snazzy giganto motor homes at the RV show that have a central vacuum system. How Glamping is THAT?

And I thought, well, I could easily install a small vacuum in an unused storage corner of my 2014 Roo 183. So I looked up this little vacuum:

Amazon.com: ArmorAll AA255 Utility Wet/Dry Vacuum: Automotive

and thought about wiring it in, installing a switch, installing a little port on the trim somewhere so it looks "central". That kind of thing.

But then I remembered: a broom and dustpan would be cheaper, smaller and (more importantly) lighter.

Oh well. I might do it anyway for the silliness of having central-vacuum in my little TT.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Always Learning

To be honest, a central vac upgrade is on the list of enhancements for my camper. With the amount that we spend in it, it would be nice to have a good vacuum vs. the Dust Buster w/ a handle that we currently have.

That and the dustpan attachment for the central vac setup gives you somewhere easy to suck the broomed mess without having to futz with a dust pan or launching it out the door.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

You can order an entire central vac kit that will look factory from dirt devil.

Dirt Devil® Central Vacuum for RV's and Boats

We love ours for the convenience and the superior suction power to anything we've had as a portable. Matter of fact, I was in the Beast this morning vacuuming the rugs in prep for a long winter's nap.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
NELA

Someone here recommended this:

Oreck Ultimate Handheld Vacuum Refurbished 743808100182 | eBay

We bought one, and by golly I like it so much it hasn't made it to the RV yet! GREAT suction (anyone with a parrot ...carpet or hardwood floors...knows how important that is) and so light and easy to handle. Small and easy to store in the RV also.

I'm thinkin' a second purchase is in order.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

Those little orecks are nice I use it more than the central vac in my rig
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

We have a built in vac system in our Pacifica motor home. We have never used it in over 3 years. Now with the new Wildcat we are buying she one of the first comments was, "it doesn't have a built in vac system".
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

Part of the touring package in our Prime Time was a central vac. We LOVE it and any future rig will have one. Period.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
So I was remembering the super-snazzy giganto motor homes at the RV show that have a central vacuum system. How Glamping is THAT? And I thought, well, I could easily install a small vacuum in an unused storage corner of my 2014 Roo 183. So I looked up this little vacuum: Amazon.com: ArmorAll AA255 Utility Wet/Dry Vacuum: Automotive and thought about wiring it in, installing a switch, installing a little port on the trim somewhere so it looks "central". That kind of thing. But then I remembered: a broom and dustpan would be cheaper, smaller and (more importantly) lighter. Oh well. I might do it anyway for the silliness of having central-vacuum in my little TT.
Try a miele stick vac. Germann engineering, pretty light and great suction. We had a central vac (dirt drivel) in our previous unit, and the miele is WAY better. Takes up less space to, without the long hose that tries to strangle you and is a pain to store...
Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Been wondering about a vacuum since the Roo has carpeting in the dinette/sofa slideout area. The PUP was all vinyl flooring. I put rugs down but those could be taken outside to shake out. I have a little Shark which is really a dustbuster that you plug in. I'm thinking something that I can stand up & use would be better! I thought about a lightweight stick vacuum. May check out some of the ones you've mentioned.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I installed a Dirt Devil central vac and we like it. Storage of the hose is no problem, it goes in the drawer under the couch. Don't have another upright/canister taking up storage space.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Always Learning

We have a DustBuster on a stick and no place to store it. That and the broom and Swiffer. I wish my camper had a tall skinny cabinet.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We have a DustBuster on a stick and no place to store it. That and the broom and Swiffer. I wish my camper had a tall skinny cabinet.
Mount your poles and put the dust buster, broom, etc in where you're storing the awning poles.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Mount your poles and put the dust buster, broom, etc in where you're storing the awning poles.
Hey now- I'm using the bumper for them!

We did seriously buy one of those hangers that hold a few by their handles, but little Mr. Setzer loves to play with the broom and Swiffer. We figured it would be ripped out of the wall.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hey now- I'm using the bumper for them!

We did seriously buy one of those hangers that hold a few by their handles, but little Mr. Setzer loves to play with the broom and Swiffer. We figured it would be ripped out of the wall.
Stand by my previous post. 3/16 drill bit and use the pop rivets furnished and the bumper is open for the broom and swifter and out of the way. Store the broom head & dustpan in a drawer or storage area.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Stand by my previous post. 3/16 drill bit and use the pop rivets furnished and the bumper is open for the broom and swifter and out of the way. Store the broom head & dustpan in a drawer or storage area.
Hmm, hadn't thought about separating them. But we could also store them in the basement.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Denver, CO

Quote:
I installed a Dirt Devil central vac and we like it. Storage of the hose is no problem, it goes in the drawer under the couch. Don't have another upright/canister taking up storage space.
The Miele comes apart and stores almost anywhere.