Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Hmm, I hate using any kind of poison. I was happy to see the people replying about using peppermint oil, there are many other types of essential oils that are good for warding off rodents (ie: lavender is good for rats and mice). Make a mixture with distilled water and a small amount of the oil and spray around all doorways and any possible openings.
It's safe and smells great too, (well to us anyways ;p)!!
Btw, this is only used for a minor rodent problem or as a preventative, not for a major infestation

2010 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Rockwood 2306
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper
I don't like poison either but when you live on a farm/acerage you do what you have to do, same as for gophers. You either get rid of the rodents or risk having nice visitors like Badgers etc in your yard so you choose and I will tell you you don't want to see what mans best friend looks like after a round with a Badger.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
We have found a different way of dealing with rodents...My DW puts a bowl of cat food for the feral cats under the camper. Always PLENTY of rodent catchers hanging around now!

John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Mint oil works..............soak a few cotton balls and put in areas where they might be !! Work's the nuts.......used it in the house last year and mice !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
I was told by a friend to use Bounce (original) sheets. We spread 1 full large box around the trailer. Every drawer sheld compartment and under matresses and pillows. Haven't had a mouse yet. Don't know if its luck or the sheets, but until it doesn't work I plan to continue.
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
we had mice problems in our trailer so i used snap traps for the first winter storage season-the problem with that was we only checked it every so often, sometimes finding a decaying mouse.( i think the peanut butter bait attracted them into the trailer)
so i did some research and tried the peppermint oil trick!!
this worked excellent for us. i placed a couple drops of the peppermint oil onto cotton balls and placed them in cupboards/drawers/storage areas. i left the snap traps set (as a backup plan) all winter but caught nothing, even the peanut butter is untouched!
we have no signs of mice and the trailer smells pleasant!
make sure to use 100% peppermint oil-available at a health food store.
Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
RV Newbie
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
We will be returning next week end and then I need to found out how they are getting in.
I have been doing quite a bit of remodeling and have found evidence that I had a few mice taking up housekeeping in a few places. They must have had a funeral for one of them

Last fall I spent about 4 hours inspecting the underside of my MH and did find several gaps that I packed with plastic air filter fabric. I then shot foam into the fabric. I have not seen any new mice moving in since.

You might try using a light on the inside (or vise versa) after dark to locate any entry points. My guess is most utility entries will have gaps. On mine I found large gaps where the fiberglass corners fit (should I say, NOT FIT) up to the floor deck. One I actually reached up and shook hands with the DW inside.

You can always make a trap with a small bucket of water, if you give them a way to the top edge...
2005 FR Lexington 210 6.0L 8500 miles
2007 2500 Silverado Ext. Cab, 6.5' bed 5.7L
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
for a lightener - A Scot was visiting Canada for the first time and staying at his Canadian relatives' mountian cabin. He looked out one morning to see a big bull moose standing abut 20 yards away. "What the helkl is that?" he asked his host. "It's a moose" was the reply. The visitor's response was "Och, if that great thing's a moose. I would nae like to meet one of your rats".
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
We have found a different way of dealing with rodents...My DW puts a bowl of cat food for the feral cats under the camper. Always PLENTY of rodent catchers hanging around now!

This is honestly the best way! We used to keep ours in a shed and we have tried Mint, Cloves, Dryer Sheets, Moth Balls, poison, sprays and traps. None of them will keep all mice away. One day at the Hardware store an Ole"Timer told me that mice will do everything they can to avoid rocky open areas, so now mine sits outside on a rock pad with a cover on it, plus the addition of 6 farm cats. We haven't had a mouse inside the camper in 3 years now.

I understand that it's not possible for everybody to do this, but if you want to keep mice away and you can, this is the best way.

If you have no choice on where you store your camper and you continue to have problems every year no matter what you do, another piece of good advice is to put the bait in the bottom of a tall trash can and place it at the end of a counter. The mice can't resist, they will jump in and then they can't get out. You still have to deal with the mice, but at least they are all dead in one place and you don't have to look all over the camper for them.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #20
The best way to plug small holes found leading from the flore of your rv is with steel wool. Mice hate the stuff and will not try to chew through it.

clearsky is offline   Reply With Quote