Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #21

Red face 1st aid thoughts

As an old Navy Corpsman (and MD now), I never go anywhere without a couple of battle dressings, both medium and small, and triangular bandage which can be used as a sling or a tourniquet. While most first aid is cuts and scrapes, bruises, mild burns, and strains, once in a while something bad does happen. Little 3x3's and 4x4's are not going to help then, but a battle dressing or a tourniquet can be life saving.

I know that current EMS training says tourniquets aren't needed anymore. That may be true in Boston or Seattle with trauma centers minutes away. Unfortunately, not so true in rural American where I've seen a man die because no one applied a simple tourniquet. (Or Iraq/Afghanistan, where they are routinely used).

So be safe; go to your local surplus store, buy a small and medium battle dressing and a "cravat" (triangular bandage). Have some kind of sturdy stick available to tie down the tourniquet (can be the bandage shears after you cut off all the nearby clothes). Learn how to tie on dressings, slings, and tourniquets, not just use tape. (Tape doesn't stick well when there's lots of blood). Then hopefully you'll never need to use any of this. (Another thing I've learned in 23 years of medicine - the more prepared you are, the less goes wrong!)

Happy RVing

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
Cyber Phrenologist

Doc Baraboo...

I actually have a modern combat first aid kit with several large bandages and such in it. I was teaching a class on an Air Force Base and there was a stack of these in a supply cabinet. They gave me one.

SHHHHH!

I hope I NEVER have to use some of the stuff in there. And welcome to the forum!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I work in a military fire station. We have those battle dressings on every rig, and train with them as well. I've been a Nationally Registered EMT for...over 20 years myself. I've used them, and they work.

And for those that haven't seen one...they are simply large gauze dressings with cloth ties on them:

There are some like products out there for sale. One is called The Emergency Bandage. Some have made improvements to the product.

I agree with the others...you can never be TOO PREPARED. Things happen when you least expect it. I have a first aid kit in the travel trailer, in the tow vehicle, and in the home. (and fire extinguishers too!)

Never hurts to take a first aid class either. Come up my way...I'm an instructor!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #24

I would add 2 more things to the list - 4 quarters for emergency phone calls, if you don't have a cell phone. As a long time scout - this one one of the most important items in the first aid kit. Of course now, everyone has a cell phone, but there are still lots of areas that don't get cell service. The second item is (now don't laugh) a maxi pad or two. They are great for compressess to stop bleeding and they hold quite a bit of fluid.
quiltertess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #25
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
great tips! Those maxi's can have....multi uses!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #26

Scanning over these posts I don't see anyone mention 2 very useful First Aid Items

Steri Strips and Super Glue. Multiday Backcountry Kayaking and Rafting have made me well versed in their uses for various suture related incidents. They both are a Must in every vehicle's and personal Kit I have.

1/4 x 4 Steri Strips seem to be the most versitile and will run about $10 on eBay for 10 packs of 10 (100)

Super Glue I find at the Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight for $3 per 3 tube pack.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post

Super Glue I find at the Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight for $3 per 3 tube pack.
There are medical grade glues that are safer and less toxic than regular Super Glue.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to bwhunter65
I forgot to put my first aid kit in the TT first time out wife cut her finger good thing not to bad used a paper towel. Good to have around I have them in my boat, backback. I had one in my truck put took it out to go over it and forgot to put it back in or I would of had one.
bwhunter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #29

I'll add new born baby diapers to the list. I have a very good first aid kit in my truck and as such it's with me when I'm camping. Have had St John Ambulance Standard First Aid training, CPR & AED off & on since 1980 and my current certification runs out in Feb (I'll be taking it again). I also carry a Wilderness First Aid book. My motorcycle also has a first aid kit on board and yes I have had to use my kits & my skills a time or two
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #30

I already had most supplies at home in bulk. (4 kids) Instead of purching a kit I made one. I got a tool bag and everything fits in it including over the counter meds.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #31

one thing a lot of people don't think about for first aid kit as well as wallet is a card showing all prescription medications, dosage and times of day taken. And keep updated. as well as a list of medical conditions. Keep a copy in various locations
WLLMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #32

My dad was head of the local "Civil Defense" back in the fifties. We use to hold emergency drills in our back yard. As a child I thought it funny watching all the "wounded" be attended. Dad carried an emergency first aid kit every where he went and helped I don't know how many people because he had it. Spouse thought I was looney tunes when he saw me make up our kit. Can't wait to show him this forum! This is an excellent topic!!
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #33

Good for you. Injuries happen anywhere and at anytime.
Travelers not Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #34

I carry a basic kit, Ice packs rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide at minimum. I also keep an ANC fire extinguisher outside when using my grill and anytime we use a fire ring and I have no young kids but better safe then hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #35

This is an excellent thread. As a career firefighter/paramedic with experience ranging from the backwoods of West Virginia to the urban streets of Northern Virginia, I applaud the information people are sharing. Everytime I thought I would add something, I would find it in the list (maxi-pads, baby diapers, super glue, etc...). The only two things I might add would be 8-10' of duct tape (perhaps wrapped around the popsicle sticks) and some type of impervious material (small sheet of plastic wrap or a ziploc freezer bag). The duct tape sticks well to most anything and has countless uses and the plastic sheet would be useful for someone who may have suffered a penetrating wound to the neck or torso area. Lastly, a heavy-duty garbage bag is useful for many things (keep dry, warmth).
JET2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #36

Not only keep a well stocked first-aid kit but make sure everyone knows where it is kept! I have informed all family members where it is and also have firstaid decal on cabinet where it is.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #37

EMT here: I love the SAM splint. Lightweight and you can get a cheap off brand on Amazon.

2015 Cherokee wolf pup 16BHS
Ledzeppelin72885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

30 Dollar Epi-Pencil

With Epipens out of reach for "non-allergic" camper first aid kits, here is a DIY Epi-"pencil" that will fill that hole in your emergency kit.

https://blog.adafruit.com/2016/09/21...-30-epipencil/

https://fourthievesvinegar.org/blog/...-the-epipencil

For about 30 bucks, you can make a functional equivalent.

You won't need a script for anything but the Epinephrine and a sympathetic family doctor should write you one so long as you pay cash at the Pharmacy.

I had trouble finding 1ml bottles (about 6 dollars), but the CVS was able to fill my script with a 30 ml bottle (about 70 bucks!) because I did not want to make them keep looking for a source. That is 100 doses so you can make a LOT of Epi-pencils with a bottle that big.

Find a few friends who want their own Epi-pencils and have a party making them.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #39
Cyber Phrenologist

Wow...

This thread has been active for a long time, from way back in the earliest days of FRF. Almost 10 years...

Since then I have found two kits from the American Red Cross that are pretty good.

This one I keep in my truck, it fits in a rear door pocket nicely:

https://www.redcrossstore.org/item/321275

I have two of these, one in the camper and one at home:

https://www.redcrossstore.org/item/321325

Both are roomy enough to add your own stuff, like tick tools, snake bite kits, splints, cold packs and so on. So if you are in a rush and need to get a basic kit going, try these Red Cross kits.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #40

SAMs has a pretty good one for about $20 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote