Old 05-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #21

Red face 1st aid thoughts

As an old Navy Corpsman (and MD now), I never go anywhere without a couple of battle dressings, both medium and small, and triangular bandage which can be used as a sling or a tourniquet. While most first aid is cuts and scrapes, bruises, mild burns, and strains, once in a while something bad does happen. Little 3x3's and 4x4's are not going to help then, but a battle dressing or a tourniquet can be life saving.

I know that current EMS training says tourniquets aren't needed anymore. That may be true in Boston or Seattle with trauma centers minutes away. Unfortunately, not so true in rural American where I've seen a man die because no one applied a simple tourniquet. (Or Iraq/Afghanistan, where they are routinely used).

So be safe; go to your local surplus store, buy a small and medium battle dressing and a "cravat" (triangular bandage). Have some kind of sturdy stick available to tie down the tourniquet (can be the bandage shears after you cut off all the nearby clothes). Learn how to tie on dressings, slings, and tourniquets, not just use tape. (Tape doesn't stick well when there's lots of blood). Then hopefully you'll never need to use any of this. (Another thing I've learned in 23 years of medicine - the more prepared you are, the less goes wrong!)

Happy RVing

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
Cyber Phrenologist

Doc Baraboo...

I actually have a modern combat first aid kit with several large bandages and such in it. I was teaching a class on an Air Force Base and there was a stack of these in a supply cabinet. They gave me one.

SHHHHH!

I hope I NEVER have to use some of the stuff in there. And welcome to the forum!

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I work in a military fire station. We have those battle dressings on every rig, and train with them as well. I've been a Nationally Registered EMT for...over 20 years myself. I've used them, and they work.

And for those that haven't seen one...they are simply large gauze dressings with cloth ties on them:

There are some like products out there for sale. One is called The Emergency Bandage. Some have made improvements to the product.

I agree with the others...you can never be TOO PREPARED. Things happen when you least expect it. I have a first aid kit in the travel trailer, in the tow vehicle, and in the home. (and fire extinguishers too!)

Never hurts to take a first aid class either. Come up my way...I'm an instructor!

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #24

I would add 2 more things to the list - 4 quarters for emergency phone calls, if you don't have a cell phone. As a long time scout - this one one of the most important items in the first aid kit. Of course now, everyone has a cell phone, but there are still lots of areas that don't get cell service. The second item is (now don't laugh) a maxi pad or two. They are great for compressess to stop bleeding and they hold quite a bit of fluid.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #25
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
great tips! Those maxi's can have....multi uses!

2014 Jayco Whitehawk 24 RBS
2004 Nissan Titan LE, 4x4
Equal-i-zer hitch
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #26

Scanning over these posts I don't see anyone mention 2 very useful First Aid Items

Steri Strips and Super Glue. Multiday Backcountry Kayaking and Rafting have made me well versed in their uses for various suture related incidents. They both are a Must in every vehicle's and personal Kit I have.

1/4 x 4 Steri Strips seem to be the most versitile and will run about $10 on eBay for 10 packs of 10 (100)

Super Glue I find at the Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight for $3 per 3 tube pack.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post

Super Glue I find at the Dollar Tree or Harbor Freight for $3 per 3 tube pack.
There are medical grade glues that are safer and less toxic than regular Super Glue.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to bwhunter65
I forgot to put my first aid kit in the TT first time out wife cut her finger good thing not to bad used a paper towel. Good to have around I have them in my boat, backback. I had one in my truck put took it out to go over it and forgot to put it back in or I would of had one.
bwhunter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #29

I'll add new born baby diapers to the list. I have a very good first aid kit in my truck and as such it's with me when I'm camping. Have had St John Ambulance Standard First Aid training, CPR & AED off & on since 1980 and my current certification runs out in Feb (I'll be taking it again). I also carry a Wilderness First Aid book. My motorcycle also has a first aid kit on board and yes I have had to use my kits & my skills a time or two
Old 04-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #30

I already had most supplies at home in bulk. (4 kids) Instead of purching a kit I made one. I got a tool bag and everything fits in it including over the counter meds.