Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Post A "roll your own" recipe for a first aid kit

Once apon a time I had a web site, part of which was devoted to backpacking. Since then the web site has come down, and my knees have about given up the sport. Nice long day hikes are the way to go now.

I have cut & pasted the part about making your own first aid kit here. I found the ready made variety too expesive, too heavy for backpacking and didn't contain what I thought I needed.

Now remember this kit is for the backpacker and so is meant to be light weight. Add to this list as you see fit. Boondockers and day hikers will find this kit about right. Mine travels in a zip lock bag inside a nylon draw string pouch. A Tupperware or similar container would work well for kits that never left the RV.

NOTE: You will want to adjust the contents of your kit to your personal needs. For example a diabetic or people allergic to bee sting (who, of course, always seem to get stung) will want to adjust their kit to meet their specific needs. Here is a starting point. Several people working together, sharing the contents of retail packages (like a box of 30 band-aids) and perhaps with the aid of a doctor or paramedic, can assemble an adequate low cost emergency first aid kit.

[] 1 roll of breathable bandage adhesive tape. Discard the outer cover to save weight.

[] 1 roll "Cling" 3 inch gauze bandage

[] 2 or 3 3x3 inch gauze compresses

[] 12 band-aids

[] small tube antibiotic ointment (for cuts and burns, check the exp. date now and then)

[] 2 or 3 alcohol 'prep' towellettes

[] 6 to 10 headache / pain pills (ibuprofen is good for inflammation, also)

[] mild laxative squares or pills

[] motion sickness pills (they stop vomiting)

[] 6 antihistamine tables

[] 4 or 5 butterfly closures

[] 3 or 4 needles (for dislodging thorns, breaking blisters)

[] mole skin or other blister kit

[] snake bite kit (the kind with suction cups)

[] tick removal tool

[] INSTRUCTION SHEET (an emergency situation is not the time to be learning new skills. Outfitters and the Red Cross will have condensed information sheets. Dig it out and read the thing now and then.)

For extended hikes away from civilization, see if your doctor or pharmacist will supply you with the following medicines. Ask to be educated in their use. Write down instructions and descriptions of what the pill looks like and keep in your kit. I store all my pills in a 35mm film can with a cotton ball to keep them from grinding into a "cure all fine powder."

[] broad-spectrum antibiotic tablets

[] pills for major pain (sprains, broken bones)

[] pills for diarrhea. In the wilderness this condition could dehydrate and kill you. Get something that works fast.

The most important thing is to know exactly what you are doing. The outfitter shops are full of good wilderness first aid books. The Red Cross offers classes in first aid, often for free, and often begging people to go. Get educated before you go.

Remember: A Wilderness Emergency is NOT the Time to Learn New Skills. Educate Yourself.

And with some common sense and good luck, you might not need any of this.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
A great post Radio! Thanks.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #3

Wow another great post!!!

Thanks, Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #4

what do you think about placing this in the "Tips and Tricks" section??
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #5

works for me and stick the thread

you got this one?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #6

By the power vested in me by the authorities of FRF and........

Well it's done.

BTW, I must have moved it whilst you were posting Mr. Rimmer

greg
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks and Mr Rimmer is my dad

I am simply Mike
Old 07-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRimmer View Post
Thanks and Mr Rimmer is my dad

I am simply Mike
Well then simply Mike, give your father my regards. And accept my apoligies.

I usually tell folks that call me Mr. John that only my kids friends call me that. If they don't want to call me Greg, then Sir will do quite nicely.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #9

the only things not listed is an ace bandage , popsickle sticks , and a botle of whisky
Old 07-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #10

Good info! Thanks JR
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfans View Post
the only things not listed is an ace bandage , popsickle sticks , and a botle of whisky
Hmmmmm, ace bandage ok, popsickle sticks (broken fingers?) ok, bottle of whisky?? A little too heavy and the glass might break. Better make it a good non-breakable flask!!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #12

antiseptic and pain killer in a flask sounds good to me
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #13

Most things in a flask sound good to me...

Serious now, nice post Radio!
That's a good list.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_308 View Post
Serious now, nice post Radio!
That's a good list.
And that sir is why we made it a Sticky so it stays at the top of the "Tips and Tricks" section.

Radio,

Awesome info man! Keep 'em coming!

greg
Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #15

I've been looking at some in the department type stores ,after reading this list it's going to be a home grown kit now.thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #16

Quote:
I've been looking at some in the department type stores ,after reading this list it's going to be a home grown kit now.thanks
What's nice about a build your own kit is you don't end up with a lot of useless junk. I mean.. Who needs 100 pinky bandages that only fit an infant?

greg
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #17
Cyber Phrenologist

Lightbulb And another thing...

Quote:
Umm...you're right.

The ace bandage is not listed because we always carried them (more than one!) else where in the backpack. When a knee would get sore then we'd pull one out and wrap the knee, more to prevent injury than to treat it. Sorry for the omission.

Did not carry popsickle sticks or any other splint material. Did carry a Swiss Army Knife that would fashion a splint from local vegetation. Should have mentioned scissors or something else to cut with. Also had a spare box of waterproof matches in there.

And a favorite treat for me was a 35mm film can full of cotton balls soaked in Camphophenique (not sure of spelling) that would sooth tired toes at the end of a long days trek.

Now the kit for the RV could contain lots of stuff like something for sunburn, poison ivy, stomach remedies and all that.

Yep, going in with a friend or two and making your own kits is certainly the best way to go.

Feel free to add to the list.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
RAC

One thing I would suggest in ANY first aid kit is "Super Glue". Butterflies and such are good, but personal experience and a few "bloody" situations have made me a true believer in such a simple product as a "lifesaver". Closes cuts exceptionally well, reattaches skin from blisters, which saves on pain and dirt. is very quick and will seal without the struggle of trying to have a totally dry area to make adhesive backing on butterflies stick. Ladies will love it to save fingernails as well.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
One thing I would suggest in ANY first aid kit is "Super Glue". Butterflies and such are good, but personal experience and a few "bloody" situations have made me a true believer in such a simple product as a "lifesaver". Closes cuts exceptionally well, reattaches skin from blisters, which saves on pain and dirt. is very quick and will seal without the struggle of trying to have a totally dry area to make adhesive backing on butterflies stick. Ladies will love it to save fingernails as well.
Can definitely tell you're a military man. Used the stuff myself for just such quick fixes a lot more then I cared to back when.

greg
Old 07-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #20
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Can definitely tell you're a military man. Used the stuff myself for just such quick fixes a lot more then I cared to back when.

greg
Apparently you needed me on the side of the road last night......best wishes for a speedy recovery my friend.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote