Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
Once I started to pull away after unhooking from the fifth-wheel hitch and failed to pull the plug from wall of the truck. I stop moving when my wife screamed just before pulling the power cord out of the junction box at the pin box.

2015 F350 CC Lariat 4/4 SRW
6.7 diesel

2016 3850RL Cardinal
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Took my rig to the dealers for service. Went back 3 days later to pick it up and for some reason, before I fired it up I decided to do a walk around to make sure that they hadn't damaged anything during the stay. 50 Amp cord was plugged in, compartments we still open. In short, I narrowly avoided ripping the cord and who knows what else out of the RV. Lesson, always do a walk around before pulling out from anywhere.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
I started to pull my enclosed car hauler out with the entension cord still plugged into it. It became 1.5 feet shorter and needed a new end.
2010 Freedom Express 230bh
2013 Silverado Z71
TimNJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #14
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you put the x chocks in tight enough like I do my Bal X chocks, you cannot even move the trailer. You must leave yours loose.

A lot of times when I put the rig away its from pulling it somewhere. I'm assuming the wheels heat up and expand a little. I do notice after the wheels cool off the chocks are loose and sometimes I forget to go snug them up again. I also don't go crazy right cause I think in my mind I'm torquing on the axles too much.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #15
When I swapped-out the China Bombs for Maxxis I was distracted by a chatty neighbor & forgot to hand-check the last wheel... I also failed to check at the recommended 10 miles out because the CG was only 30 miles away... When I turned into the CG, one TT wheel was wobbling badly. Only 2 (loose) lug nuts were still holding the rim on & 3/6 bolts had sheered! Yikes! Good Sams sent a local mobile trailer tech & $100 later I had new lug bolts/nuts & a spare set for the future. I found new aluminum rims online, exact match, for $65. Could have been a disaster but for <$200 I now follow a checklist before we leave the driveway & 1 son's job is to remind me to check the lug nuts on TV & TT...
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #16
I have forgotten to put the hand rail in and steps and when I pulled out of my carport have damaged the steps and wall at doorway. Ouch!

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Ah, the "duh" and "dop" moments!

-We park our trailer about 8 miles from our house. I've thought about filling up the truck just before getting her and then brought her home and we loaded it and then when pulling out noticing the truck is on empty! DOP!

-Driven all the way to the lot and forgotten the keys to the trailer. (And before I left the hitch on the truck all summer have forgotten that, too.)

-Had a near-miss this year...was assigned spot #53 at a state park. For some reason, I pulled right into spot #52 and was jumping out to set up when my wife asked me if we were 52 or 53....phew, close one! (That would've sucked setting all up and then having someone come and telling me I was in the wrong spot!)
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #18
These are all Great! reminders. Best habit is a checklist of course.
Now where did I put that darned list???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5615.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	92084  

FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote